Onkyo 601 or h\k 230?

Username: Nemex01

Post Number: 1
hi
currently i have AIWA D98 6.1 receiver and now it dosen't work except stereo mode( i hear hiss on any other ).
so I am thinking about going to onkyo sr601 or h\k 230 both I can get it for $299.00 new.
I was looking at marantz but it's more money . I can go upto $350.00if there is marantz better than h\k 230 or onkyo 601.
I have polk csi40 center speaker and 2 digital audio 2002 towers.
any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 962
How much would the Marantz SR4500 cost to you?

Bronze Member
Username: Sinkdrain

Post Number: 73
Another option is a refurbished HK AVR 330. I purchased mine for $350 from Harman Kardon Direct on EBAY. It came with a complete factory warranty.

Post Number: 2
I think the marntz was around $400.
my question is which one is better?
is onkyo 601 not very good?

Post Number: 3
I like the look of the onkyo . it's very sophisticated.

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 60
Hi Oscar;

I have a 601 and an hk. I love them both.

The 601 was originally bought for my downstairs hometheater, some music, and video games (xbox and gamecube). It ends up being used primarily for video games (xbox sounds incredible in DD5.1), secondarily for music, and less frequently for movies.

Personally I love my 601, but it is a warm sounding receiver, which I like. I have it paired with polk speakers and I think the combination is well suited.

The 601 is rated 85 watts per channel and you will easily get that in 2 channel stereo, but probably more like 70ish watts per channel with all 6 channels running. I have a fairly large family room and it has no problem filling it with sound with any movie.

If you look on Onkyo's website, they often have deals on factory reconditioned ones that are a real deal.

Hope that helps

edster922
Unregistered guest
shan tao,

what kind of polks are you running with the 601? I recently bought a pair of R20s, they were a steal at $80 but I wasn't terribly impressed with the sound...all bass, not much mids or highs.

I'm trying to find a decent pair of front speakers in the $200-300 range specially for those mids and highs when playing music, since my powered sub takes care of the low end...any ideas?

edster922
Unregistered guest
Oscar,

I was in the exact same dilemma, but unfortunately only AFTER the 601 was already in the mail. I will be receiving it this Thursday, will tell you how it is. If I'm not happy with it, might return it for the HK-235 (just $50 more than the 230, at J&R) or even go with the 120wpc stereo HK-3480.

Post Number: 4
what you guys think about MARANTZ 4400 OR 5400 VS. ONKYO 601 OR H/K 230?

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 966
The SR5400 is definitely the best unit out of those, it has the power, sound and features. The SR4400 is short on features.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us