Poll: Which AV Receiver is the best value for the $$$ ?

Username: Thereal_1_

Post Number: 1
Hello,

Which of the following AV receiver would offer me the best value for the bucks? I have a buget of $1000 Canadian ($800US) with these Paradigm speakers: Titants front, Cinema 90 rear, CC-170 ctr, and PDR-10 sub. I'm thinking of upgrading my 5-yr old Pioneer VSX-DS509S and my time spent on movies/music ratio is 70/30.

- Marantz SR6400 ($700 Cdn) (don't have the price for SR6500)
- Denon AVR 2105 ($900 Cdn)
- Yamaha RXC1500 ($1080 Cdn)
- Pioneer Elite VX52TX ($1090 Cdn)

If there are any other good receivers I should consider, please let me know.

Thank-you all in advance
Brad

Username: Russwyte

Post Number: 8
I would chose the marantz, I would even go with the 5500 which is right in that range, and surprisingly full featured.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 907
Overall the I think the Elite followed by the Marantz but not in your case. Both are too warm and laid back for the Paradigm's. I have a Elite and recently replaced my Paradigm Atoms in the kitchen as the combo is too dull. Marantz would be the same. That leaves the Yamaha and the Denon and both would work well with Paradigm's. Choose whichever you like better, personally I like the Yamaha better and since you will be using it 70% for movies you'll have a very good receiver for that purpose. For you I'd say the Yamaha.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 274
Brad,

I find receiver to be way overpriced in Canada. Consider buying one using www.borderfree.com (e.g. at www.ecost.com or www.etronics.com).

For example, you can get the $Pioneer Elite VX52TX from etronics.com for C$828.88, shipping and handling and GST all included. Does your quote of $1090 include taxes?

I saved even more than that on a harman/kardon, indicating that h/k is even more overpriced in Canada.

About a month ago, ecost.com had some Denon avr-2105 and 1905 refurbs. The shipped and taxed price for the avr-1905 was C$450, and this compares to C$700 at my local dealer.

Username: Thereal_1_

Post Number: 2
Thanks Peter and others for your input. It appears that most people I talked to suggest I go with the Yamaha RX-V750 ($750Cdn) as best bang for the bucks and most suited for my Paradigm setup. I might be tempted to spend a few more bucks for an upgrade to Yamaha RX-V1500 for $1,000 Cdn. On the Etronics site for shopping from Canada, I can get the RX-V1500 for $866 Cdn, including shipping and taxes.

People and sales guys are saying the Pioneer and Marantz sound too warm with Paradigm and so I will probably go with the Yamaha RX-V1500 and upgrade my front speakers to Totem Arro later on as they are ideal for my apartment.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 960
I would definitely get the V1500 over the V750, it's definitely more powerfull and better sounding than the smaller models.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 910
Brad,
I would not uprgrade to the Totems unless you are going to change your whole system to them. Using different speakers in a HT system is a bad idea,especially across the front. Just upgrade the Titan's to the Mini-Monitor's or the Monitor 5 if possible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us