Help With Noise Please

Username: Brkbeatsci

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 1
I recently bought a Numark Dimension 4 Power Amp to go with my audiosource preamp and audiosource eq. I have a good bit of noise coming through the speakers when the imputs are connected to the amp, but when the imputs are disconnected, you can turn the amp all the way up and hear absolutely no noise. I was wondering if anyone had come across the same problem and if anyone had any thoughts as to what might be causing the problem. Thanks.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

What type of noise?

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 2
It's like a hum that has a very wide bandwidth. It plays through the tweeter, mid, and, woofer. Like a buzzing sound. When the music is loud enough, it is inaudible, but when changing discs, or in a quiet spot, it is omnipresent, and annoying. If you have ever heard a guitar amp, that buzzing sound, before anything is played. It's just like that noise.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 474
Hey Steve, have you tried connecting like a walkman to the amp's input? A noise like that usually means you have a grounding problem.
By attaching a cd player or a walkman, you're bypassing grounding issue. If it works then try and secure a better ground for the amp and the preamp.

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 3
ok, so, walkman attached, amp volume all the way up. NO NOISE!!!! woooohooo!!!! Thanks Isaac. I can wire almost anything up, but troubleshooting noise, along with spelling, has never been my strong suit.
Now with the grounding issue, I'm a car guy, so I will usually grind the crap out of the trunk of the car and bolt the ground in and, as long as I am using quality product, I have no noise. But in a home, I am at a loss. How would I go about securing a better ground for the Amp and PreAmp? Do you mean taking the outlet out of the wall, and running the green screw to someting besides the bare copper wire running from the fuse box, or something else entirely? Would one of those multi plug bridges cause a problem like this, or getting power for other components from the supplied outlets on the back of the preamp? In a car, the setup is usually pretty direct, but I have a ton of stuff going into the preamp; VCR, CD Player, Cable Box, Xbox, EQ, XM. It's getting crowded back there.
But seriously, thanks for the walkman tip, I was thinking it was my preamp, which would have sucked 'cause, to me at least, it was fairly expensive, but the b@stards at audiosource only make one preamp with a remote, and it comes with a tuner, which, IMO, is worthless, one you have experienced sattellite radio. Commercials can go straight to hell.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us