Want to buy a $700 (Max) Recievers?

Username: Turbogti

St. Andrew, N/a Jamaica

Post Number: 2
Whats is the best value for money?
I've heard you guy rain down good words on Marantz and HK.

As a newbie and a $700 max limit newbie what do you think is the best unit for me.

Oh in Jamaica we use 110/220 volts 50 HZ i've heard that this doesn't trouble the unit much at all, as once the line voltage is the same its all good, but its a concern of mine.

My personal Like are
Marantz 4500 or 5500
Harman Kardon 225 or 325 (i think thats the model)
ARCAM (but this burst my budget)
Denon also

I liked NAD until i read what you guys had to say about them :D

Your information here is much appreciated.

St. Andrew, N/a Jamaica

Post Number: 3
Oh i forgot to mention i'm looking for 6.1 or 7.1 reciever

THX can be included if the price can cover it.

Silver Member
Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 132
You could probably get either the Denon 2105 or the 2805 in your price range. The NAD 753 should also be a consideration. I would stay away from THX receivers in that price range.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 501
Hugh,

The receiver we recommend is going to be based for the most part on what speakers you have. So, let us know and we can go from there.

St. Andrew, N/a Jamaica

Post Number: 4
Ok Johnny My speaker choices are limited to bookshelf models as import duty makes the prices of floor unit sky roctet.

So with that my choices are
Definative Procinema 80 or 100
JBL Northridge series

So far those are the only speakers that i''ve seen down here but i'm going to a few other electronics stores this week also if you could reccommend some other bookshelf units maybe i could purchase them online if the price is right.

Also Johnny can you tell me what the story behind the NAD recievers, will they work, do they give problems, will they Hiss?

I hope this helps,
The subwoofer i'm open to any choices that u may have

I also posted in the Speaker section for information on definative speakers.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 503
Hugh,

I think my view on the whole NAD hiss/hum issue is pretty well known on this forum. I have an NAD receiver, and I have had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. I have also talked with three separate dealers in my area that sell a TON of NAD receivers, and they all reported that they have had no more trouble with NAD than with any other brand. At the risk of opening this whole discussion up again, I won't go much farther than that. If you want more information, read some of the lengthy threads on this topic that have occured in the past couple of weeks. Anything I could say would simply be repeating what was already said there. All I can say is to NOT discount NAD. But, as with any receiver, I would definately listen before you buy. If you do a thorough audition and don't hear any hiss, then I would feel safe buying. NAD receivers really are wonderful sounding, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone, even after hearing all of the horror stories.

Now, for the speakers. I don't have a real good background with JBL, but I have heard Definitive quite a few times and I really enjoyed them. DefTech speakers tend to sound brighter, yet they are very open and detailed. Because of the brightness, I would tend to recommend a warmer receiver. Of the ones you listed, I would recommend the Marantz, HK, or NAD. Definately NOT Denon with these speakers. Denon receivers are also bright and dry sounding and in my opinion would make a poor comination with Def Tech.

St. Andrew, N/a Jamaica

Post Number: 5
Johnny,
Great info, i spoke to the local dealer for NAD and i'll be giving them a visit tomorrow,
As for the Speakers what else would you reccommend for the receivers you listed above?
I think if i push it i could afford the HK AVR-435!

The DefTech dealers are in the same building that i work so i can give them a listen at any time but what else is out there that i can look into.

How are the Cerwin Vegas?
I've noticed that in the speaker section they don't speak of these brands?

I know i seem to ne crossing sections, (Recievers and Speakers) but i'm getting good feedback from this section, mostly you Johnny, no one in the speaker section has even replied to my post.

Thanks alot for your information so far.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 504
Hugh,

There are many, many speaker choices out there for those receivers you listed. If you are going to seriously consider NAD, I would look at Paradigm and PSB speakers (provided you can get them in Jamaica). I have PSB speakers paired with an NAD and I absolutely love the combination. The PSB's really bring out the detail and clarity of the NAD, in my opinion. Paradigm speakers are sonically similar to PSB, so they also make a great combination. Those are my recommendations, but for NAD, you can also check out B&W, KEF, Dynaudio, among others.

The other receivers that you listed (except Denon...which I wouldn't really recommend in the company of the others) are all very warm sounding receivers, and thus sound better with a brighter sounding speaker, in my opinion. Some brands you might want to check out for these receivers are Polk, Monitor Audio, Klipsch, along with the Def Tech we have already discussed. Obviously, there are many, many other speaker brands out there (like Cerwin Vega), but I am not as familiar with them. Maybe someone else will chime in and give you a few more ideas.

Ultimately, it is going to be up to your ears to decide. All we can do is try to steer you in the right direction and give you some possiblities that might sound good. I wish you luck in your search!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us