Can anyone offer any advice on the Monitor Audio S2 vs. the Quad 12L

Silver Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 108
Good question...
I'm also deciding between the two....

Username: Onimushalord

Post Number: 2
The musicality of the Quad 12L is quite a margin above that of the MAS2, you should compare the MA Gold Reference 10 instead in terms of sound fidelity :o)
Even with the MA GR10, many like the 12Ls better. As usual, go audition both and get the one that sounds right to you.
Speakers are like girls, each are unique and have their own character in sound, what we or mag reviewers like might not be pleasing to your ears if your internal reference is different and this is bound to be a little dissimilar for everyone.

Cheers!

Bronze Member
Username: Scout

Post Number: 23
The reason I went this direction is my local guru has told me the British speakers are better at the midrange, and soften the highs and lows, whereas the North American sound is about bass and too defined treble. I was looking at the Paradign Reference Studio 20's and the Focal JM Lab 806, but I was told they are more of a HT speaker whereas I am looking for a speaker to compliment an analogue source. Any thoughts on these statements?

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Post Number: 61
Frank,

Your guru is right.You might consider Dynaudio Audience 42 or 52.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I don't know if anyone around here has the Dynaudio. I also am concerned over the 4 ohm rating with a sensitivity of only 86db's Should I be concerned about this, the guru has been pushing me to speakers with a minimum of 6 ohm rating, and has told me to go with a higher sensitivity as well. In my home theatre I am running Polk Audio LSi15's and they are a 4 ohm with a sen of 88 and my amp the HK AVR8000 really heats up.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 647
Frank,

A few months ago I was auditioning speakers for a stereo only music system. My short list of speakers came down to the Quad 12L, Dynaudio 52's, and the Spendor S3/5's. Fine speakers all IMHO. I went with the Spendors and couldn't be more pleased. Give them a listen if you can.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I can listen to the Quad's and Monitor audio in my town, the Dynaudios are 300 miles away, and the Spendors are 2000 miles away. That is my dilemma.

Post Number: 3
The Spendor S3/5 is a fine pair, particularly for vocals(midrange) and has an open sound but lack bass big time, should need a sub to enjoy all spectrums/genres of music unless you listen mainly to vocals. They have an SE version of the S3/5 now ;)

Post Number: 4
Just to add, the Quads particularly the 12Ls seem to be a more consumate pair of bookshelfs. The Spendors are however excellent for nearfield listening ie. next to the PC and as home/studio monitoring. Another fine Dynaudio experience is the Audience 52SE, rated a hair above the notable ATC SCM12. They have excellent bass to boot, with midrange and treble rivalling that of the Quads any time.

Cheers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
So are the 52SE better than the Quad 12L's?

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
I'm leaning towards the MA Silver S2... I wanted to hear the Quad 12L but they are not available in Portugal for a few months until the next delivery, and the Dynaudio 52 is too power hungry.

I think I'll stick to the MA Silver S2+S1+Slcr, for "real world" electronics... Marantz 5500/7400 or 7500 AV Receiver and 6400/6400 dvd Player...

Maybe a easier match, what do you think?

Post Number: 7
Frank,

The 52SE cost ~ GBP1000
The Quad 12L ~ GBP500
At street prices, the difference will be less of course but still not by a world's difference.
The sound quality though are comparable between the two.

However, that does not translate into better 'quality' per say as both sound different, try hearing either one yourself and go with your winner. The Quad 12L and all the L series do have a touch of brightness(never harsh in any sense) that adds excitement to recordings and they look the business too. The 52SE are a tad more neutral and are a bit more dynamic. They play rock with astounding bass for bookshelfs.

I did like the bass of the 52SEs a tad more, but mids and highs are equivocal(more of different flavour). But the WAF of the Quads are 10x better, the 52SEs are in honesty outright plain simple looking, some even deem them UGLY.

MA S2 is another Stereophile Class C I believe and does sound impressive for the price but don't quite cut it compared to the above two for stereo.
I like the looks of the C-CAM silver midbass driver a lot though - real sex-y, a nomenclature hardly used in hifi ;)

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 897
Falp,
I have the exact same MA's as you are looking at and it's a wonderful system and if paired with a Marantz or Elite a terrific combination. The Silver center is a fantastic center and even at it's rather high price a bargain. My advice is to buy this ASAP.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Hi therealelitefan!

What's the rest of you system?
SR7400?

Do you have photos?

Here are my "soon to be 2nd system" photos ;-)

http://photobucket.com/albums/v299/falp2000/

Silver Member

Post Number: 899
Falp,
Nice pics. Sorry but I don't have any current photos and I need to take some for insurance purposes. I am using my MA's with a Elite vsx-45 and love the combination. I had the Elite before I bought the MA's and was thus looking for speakers that sounded good with the receiver and the MA's are it. I auditioned them with a Marantz 7300ose and really was very impressed with that combo but I like the Elite just as much as the Marantz. I have been thinking about possibly "upgrading" to the Gold 10 but I am not sure it's worth the extra money. I have had my MA's since May of 2003 and have never regretted buying them for a second.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
I was thinking of buying the 7400, but maybe I'll go for the 5500 (same price, the 7400 is getting cheap) since the MA Silvers are easy loads and I don't like the 7400/500 remote and expensive/big AVReceivers... :-P

I'm a Fan of Music over HC and maybe I'll add a stereo power or two mono-block amps...
And a REL or MJ sub...

What do you think?

Silver Member

Post Number: 904
If the 5500 has everything you need in inputs and features then it would be a smart move to buy it and put more money into something else. I think you will find the 5500 has plenty of power in 2 channel or 5 channel modes so you should have no problem there. The 5400 measures at 105 watts with 5 channels driven at clipping so for a low to mid priced unit it's very powerful. As far as the sub goes it's a shame that MA subs are so overpriced. I am not familar with the ones you mentioned except by reputation and i hghave heard nothing bad about them. HSU and Velodyne make very good subs and for the money I like Paradigm's subs too. If my great Def Tech PF12 sub ever gave out I think I'd buy a Paradigm PS-1000 for my small room.

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Post Number: 62
Elite/Falp

Is the crossover frequency of the new Marantz(x500) still fixed to 100hz?

thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
Since *400 series (except 4400) they all have 80/100/120

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
therealelitefan

I must mount the rear speakers close to the wall...

Does it work if I close the MA S1's rear port?

Silver Member

Post Number: 911
Yes I would use the foam plugs near the wall whether mounted or on stands. That is the purpose of the plugs and it works best for me that way but you should try it both ways to make sure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us