Am I going to lose too much without DVD-A?

Bronze Member
Username: Sinkdrain

Post Number: 54
I just bought a new HK avr 330 and caan finally listen to dolby digital and DTS movies! I do not have a DVD-A player but I see that some of of the DVD-A discs say DTS 5.1. Can I listen to this on my regular DVD player. How will this effect the quality of the sound compared to "real" dvd-a? I already have the normal CD so if there wont be a difference with DTS i'll skip it. Will this give me a taste of DVD-A format.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1100
Yes you can listen to the DD and DTS 5.1 formats (if a disc option) on a regular DVD player. The resolution on a well mixed DVD-A surpasses CD and other formats. You need a DVD-a (or universal) player to appreciate this (and sacd) format.

Whether DTS will sound better than a cd depends on the recording. The surround will give you an idea of the hi-res surround formats just not as good resolution.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2472
I agree with My Rantz. In addition;

Will this give me a taste of DVD-A format.

Yes, it will. DTS is also 96 kHz and 24 bit, and is higher resolution than CD (44.1 kHz and 16 bit). DTS is compressed with a "lossless" compression system, but DVD-A is not compressed at all. I recommend you get a DVD-A disc with DTS, and if you hear a difference compared with CD, you will have some idea of what true DVD-A can offer.

There is some more discussion and some external links on the thread Twilight of the Compact Disc.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1101
John A,

DTS and DTS 96/24 are different. Basically DTS 96/24 processing is an option available on the more recent receivers/processors and is not the same as DTS 5.1 decoding. I have DVD-A's with DTS 5.1 options as well as DVD-A's with the DTS 96/24 audio processing option.

I do not have all the info on hand and I must away but if I am incorrect please send the humble pie.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2485
My Rantz,

Thanks. I read the DTS 5.1 standard spec for the first time about two years ago and then it said "up to" 96/24 on all six channels. Better than Dolby AC-3, which gives higher priority to small files. Whether they always use 96/24 in recordings, and whether one's decoder is up to it, are different questions.

The same is true of DVD-A. In my reading of the DVD-A format, anything "up to" 96/24 (5.1) or 192/24 (2.0) qualifies, if it is LPCM or MLP PCM, but the stated minimum is 44.1/16. So, in fact, "CD" qualifies as "DVD-A". And my receiver just has "DTS" on it, but seems to do the 96/24 digital input stream, OK, without downsampling. And its DACs are specified as 96/24.

I just wonder whether "96/24" needs adding to "DTS", and is not just another piece of useless information, like "genuine two-channel, stereo recording".

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Thanks guys. I purchased Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" on DVD-A/DTS yesterday. Listening to music in this surround format is stunning!

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 338
sinkdraiN,
A good disc, though I prefer their more laid back, dreamier sound found on their earlier cds. The song, Blackest Eyes is is extremely cool though. I hope they release their back catalog on Hi-res.
Please give your thoughts over on "Rate your Hi-res discs here."

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Yes, I would love to hear Lightbulb Sun in this format. I'm surprised by how much fun it is to listen to music in 5.1. I'll eventually have to get a DVD-a/SACD player so I don't have to rely on Dolby Digital and DTS and miss out on the high res. However, music in DD and DTS is still impressing me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us