Subwoofer questions

Anonymous

My subwoofer works great but I noticed that when I turn my receiver and system off that the sub takes a few minutes to go off from on (green) to standby/off(red). Is this normal? I guess I thought that it would turn off when the receiver was off? No? This is a subowoofer that came with my Onkyo 670 HTIB. It plugs up seperately from the receiver but is connected via/Accoustic Research subwoofer cable through the receiver sub pre-out. Also, I have it plugged into one of the unused inputs on my Monster power center/surge protector. Is this ok or should it have it's own surge protector?

Thanks so much for any answers you can give me...

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 20
i am guessing that the sub is an auto-on sub. most of them go on standby after a set period where no signal is being sent. that may explain the delay. hope that helps

edster922
Unregistered guest
That's real typical of a powered sub.

I can't imagine why it would need its own separate surge protector...it's just another component in your system, like your DVD, VCR, TV, etc. are.

Unregistered guest
what is the best 2 ohm or 4ohm and is cerwin vega or JL Audio better

Unregistered guest
I have a JVC RX-778VBK receiver with four surround speakers attached, plus a center channel speaker. I am now wanting to add a subwoofer. The output of the JVC is 100 watts per channel in surround mode. Can I add a 150 watt or 200 watt subwoofer without any problem? In other words, can the subwoofer wattage be greater than the receiver output wattage?

Unregistered guest
im thinking of buying 2 jl audio w3v2 subwoofers. I had 2 ppi c2s for my last setup and i was pleased with them but they broke. i listen to rap and tecno and i like the low pownding bass. I have a non ported box that i will be puting the w3v2s in if i get them. My question is will i be satisfied with the 12w3v2s and will they sound better in a ported box (slot port) or a non ported box while running them with a 600 watt bazzoka amp.

Unregistered guest
sealed box for tight bass. go under jl audio.com for box specs.

Username: Lost

Post Number: 1
Hey Guys, I made a Big mistake when pre wiring for surround sound in my new house. Got all the speakers right. But I pulled regular 14 gauge speaker wire for my sub. Thinking I could just mount a female RCA plug in the wall plate and connect the Sub. Is there any way to make this work? Have no way of geeting another cable in the wall. Wife would KILL me. I do have a powered Sub. Please help. Thanks so very much!

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 43
You'll need to use a shielded audio cable for the low level input on the subwoofer. Speaker wires are unshielded so they will pick up a lot of noise and the longer they are, the more noise they will pick up. Both the bass signal and the noise will then be amplified by the subwoofer's amplifier and you'll hear lots of "hum" from the sub.

Username: Glass

i have a yamaha receiver that can handle loads from 6 to 12 ohms per channel and I have 2 yamaha 8 ohm speakers and an 8 ohm passive subwoofer. the subwoofer has the normal inputs from the amplifier and outputs for front speakers. what I want to know is whether, on a normal setup, this subwoofer is increasing the load on the amp to 12 ohms per channel or if it is decreasing it to less than eight per channel. I don't havw manuals to any of the components as they were all second hand. I would also like to know whether or not I can hook up this sub to the B channels while keeping my main speakers on the A channels or whether I have to connect other speakers through the subwoofer to use it at all. thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 45
The "normal" way to connect a passive subwoofer is to connect the sub to the amp/receiver then the satellite speakers to the sub. With this connection, your amp will see 8-Ohm load at the speaker terminal and the high and low can be properly cut off at the crossover frequency.

If you want to connect the sub and the sattelite speakers individually to the amp, make sure your amp can run both 8-Ohm speakers A and B simultaneously. However, you'll not have a smooth frequency response as in the 1st case because the sub and the satellites would reproduce the low frequency range at the same time.

If you have a good passive sub, you can use an old stereo receiver to power it and use the combination as an active subwoofer. You'll not be able to adjust the phase and the crossover frequency but they will work pretty well.

Username: Glass

Post Number: 2
thank you for the advice! i'm pretty new to all of this.

chris_lewie
Unregistered guest
I have 2 bazooka 12's and they are dual voice coil subs. I was wonderin if it was alright to hook up both voice coils on both subs to a sony 2 channel amp.

kls
Unregistered guest
Wiring a passive sub to the rear speakers in an auto. No sub amp, just power off the rear 6.5" rears. What is the correct wiring, off both left and right, or only one?

Anonymous

I have an 18inch Audiobahn which hits really low, but all the highs are gone..obviously. Would it sound good if I added my two 10inch Audiobahn subs with another amp. Or is there a forbidden rule against mixing two different sized subs together?

Anonymous

I have an MTX 100W powered subwoofer that has a constant hum. It is about 8 years old. Is it done for? Any easy diagnostics to check? Thanks for any help...

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1148
It could be caused by cable problems. Hard to say though because any number of things could cause that problem.

Anonymous

I have innovations t1-5100 series home theatre system. I have a poblem with the subwoofer there is no power I mean when I try to turn it on it does not turn on. can any one please tell me what could be wrong with it and where I could have it fixed.

thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1242
Double checked that it's getting power(plugged in), and that it's properly connected to your receiver.

Username: Midfielder123

Houma, Louisiana United states

I have a sony explode MP3 deck, i have a jbl BP600.1 amp. toa diamond D3 12'' sub. i also have a virutal reality 1000 watt amp. to a rockford fosgate punch P3 12'' sub. can i and should i run both subs together off the BP, or what is the best set up with these things???i want really loud bass!!! please help!!

mitch33
Unregistered guest
I have an Alpine Type-X and and Audiobahn A8000T amplifier and it sounds weak. I previously had 2 Alpine Type-e Subwoofers and they were louder than the type-x. I was just curious if anyone had an idea as to why it sounds so weak. The amp is 800rms at 2 ohms and the sub is 1000rms 3000 peak. Should i add more power or is there any suggestions.

rzK
Unregistered guest
I have an Alpine Head unit with RCA plugs for my sub... but my sub isnt RCA it just has the normal red/black speaker connections... tried splicing an RCA cable / speakerwire (16g) but my sub isnt getting any power... any tips on wtf i should do?

Unregistered guest
hi, i would like to know if i can use car audio subwoofers for my home system?

Username: Lawk

Post Number: 8
hi, i would like to ask a question right after four other people did so as to prevent any feedback whatsoever.

Also, when i talk to poeple face to face, i smother them with foolish queries and strange noises. When i take a break to breathe, i clap my hands violently.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 885
Upload

richard pegus

Anything is doable, so give it a go, as for the "Anonymous" which one?

Mixing a 12" sub bass with your 18" should present no problems, however in the cinema this will never be practiced, but in the home cinema rules can be bent slightly though...

You can have the 12" to do a different part of the audio spectrum, from 80Hz down to 50Hz and the 18" to cover a different part of the audio spectrum from 50Hz down to 20Hz, all amplified separately and EQ as well and if you can get hold of an Active X-over unit the better.

What films do you intend to play on this set-up arrangement?

ghhgfhfgh
Unregistered guest
whats with the scully pics? Is that really necessary? Does Gillian Anderson know what you've been doing to her photos?
kinda creepy

Silver Member

Post Number: 904
Upload

Yeah creepy scully, that's her name science is her name.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 905

Yeah creepy scully, that's her name science his her name.....

Username: Nik_slick

Sacramento, Ca Usa

Post Number: 3
hey guys i got a polk audio r50 towers and csi20 center and r15 rears and need a sub i was thinking about the sony sa wx700 whats your guys take ?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3639
NO. Totally inadequate, very muddy and the sound is awful with an occassional rattle. My observation and my own opinion, I'm sure some folks love their Sony subs, your mileage may vary. so what do you do? Go and listen for your self. Listen to source material that has rapid successions of individual bass notes and you'll hear that they tend to blend together as one muddy clumped together note.

Check out what velodyne has to offer. A much better sub.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1730
Nikolas,

stay far far away from 90% of subs made by speaker manufacturers.

What's your max budget? Far and away the best bang for your buck will be from Internet-direct subwoofer-only companies like Hsu and SVS.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3643
Those are great subwoofer suggestions. If it is within your budget, the HSU or SVS is tough to beat.

I tried to stay within the budget constraints established by the Sony sa wx700. If you can go higher on your budget, Edster's sub suggestions are excellent.

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 377
I have had a velodyne cht-8 for a year and am now finally getting a small Hsu STF-1

(both are the smallest I can get due to a very tight apartment).

I am surprized to hear Berny recommend a cheap Velodyne. They do make some good subs but they are usually expensive. In the $300-500 range it seems like Hsu or SVS are the way to go.

Am I wrong?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3673
Nope, not at all. I just wanted to stay within his budget or something at least close to the price of the sony. A cheap Velodyne is better than the Sony:-)

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 383
I guess that is true - to get a Hsu you have to spend at least $300 or get awfully lucky on ebay. And then there is no warranty if you buy from ebay or audiogon and something is wrong with it (from what I have read).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2225
I can't imagine why it would need its own separate surge protector...it's just another component in your system, like your DVD, VCR, TV, etc. are.
---------------
If it's plugged into a separate wall outlet, it should have it's own surge protector.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1790
You're right about no warranty on ebay and audiogon, Don. Worrisome to me in this case because I have read a few people on audioreviews.com complaining about reliability. Unless those people were shilling for Hsu's competition of course. Ah, cyberspace...we'll never know!

Unregistered guest
hey guys i have an older Sony receiver without a sub pre-out what is the best way to hook a sub to it

Gold Member

Post Number: 3874
get an active subwoofer that has a high level input. You connect it by using the speaker outputs into the sub's high level inputs.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 398
Hsu did have a problem with one of their models a few years back - something loose and rattling. They sttod by their customers and replaced all that were returned under warranty.

I can't remember the model now, but there seem to be an awful lot of VTF-2s on sale on ebay.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 399
Hsu did have a problem with one of their models a few years back - something loose and rattling. They stood by their customers and replaced all that were returned under warranty.

I can't remember the model now, but there seem to be an awful lot of VTF-2s on sale on ebay.

Username: Eusebio

Can I hook up an active subwoofer to an amplifier? I think this is related to Berny's answer of 9-8-05 above. I have an Onkyo TX-2100 that has clips for bare wires - is that what is meant by "speaker outputs"? What brands of subwoofers, in the $300 range, have "high level inputs"? Thanks and aloha, George

hawaiian
Unregistered guest
just wondering if having duel 10" 600w subs and one 300w max amp would be fine, or would the ratio between subs and amp mess it up

Gold Member

Post Number: 3880
George,
There are plenty of subs that can handle high level inputs. Check out what HSU has to offer and Velodyne.

Check carefully in the back of your receiver and see if they are speaker outputs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3881
hawaiian,
If you are talking about car subwoofers, you are in the wrong forum. Try the car audio forums.
But to answer your question, you should be fine.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Berny - I'm still not sure what the term "speaker outputs" means. My receiver (100 watts) has 8 what they call "lever terminals" - 4 negative and 4 positive. I've used 4 of them for the two regular speakers. Can I hook up two of the remaining "lever terminals" to, say, a Klipsch KSW-10 or a KSW-12? I mention those two subwoofers because they are about what I can afford. Thanks again and aloha - George

Gold Member

Post Number: 3912
I think that the KSW series only accepts 1 speaker level input.

The lever terminals are the speaker outputs, those are the terminals from where you connect the speaker wires to the speakers. So you are in business.

Don't worry, once you purchase the active subwoofer, it will have directions on how to connect them to your lever terminals. It is best that you follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Berny - You've been a great help, and I truely appreciate it. Aloha, George

Gold Member

Post Number: 3930
Mahalo:-)

Unregistered guest
I have an unshielded subwoofer for my computer that makes noise whenever there is an active cell phone in the area. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Thanks

Anonymous

Is mix matching subs and amps healthy for them? Say I was running 2 rockford fosgate P310D4 Stage 3 10" (800RMS) and a JL Audio E Class E1200 Monoblock Amplifier.
A) Would this be a good match amp wise?
B) Would this match mess with the sound quality/output?

thx

Bronze Member
Username: Southern_bass

Jacksonville, Florida U.S.

Post Number: 17
mix matching subs with diff amps wont hurt...just make sure you never have 2 diff kind of subs with one amp

Username: Jon_gordon

Hey guys,
I like reading all your posts and hoped that someone might be able to help me with a problem I'm having. I had previously owned a Toshiba HTIB system and just recently started to upgrade. I kept the satellites/sub and bought a new receiver (HK AVR-140) and center channel (JBL EC25). My problem is this:

The Toshiba powered sub has only speaker level inputs (actually its just a speaker line running into the box itself), but my new receiver has a subwoofer preamp RCA output. Is there anyway to still use this subwoofer? I got a basic speaker line to RCA converter from Radio Shack, but it did nothing. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102959&cp=&kw=speaker+wir e+rca&parentPage=search

PLEASE HELP! I'm going crazy without bass!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us