Help me Please.....No Blue Light

Username: Webhead

Winter Haven , FL

Post Number: 1
I am having a problem. I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR box with coax digital ouput. The problem is I hooked up the coax digital to my Sony STR-DE935 amps coax digital input and it only decodes PCM.

If anyone is familiar with Sony amps they get a pretty blue light when it decodes Dolby 5.1

I tried it on a football game but it still stayed PCM, even though the game was broadcast in 5.1. I also tried a channel or two of HBO.

The Sony amp has an Auto Decode feature that detects the optical signal and adjusts the amp accordingly but all I get is PCM!

The amp decodes fiber optic or toslink connections perfectly. My DVD player and XBox work great and decode properly even in DVD menus when it is not Dolby 5.1 and when the movie starts it switches over.

I know I'm a NOOB but my Brighthouse provider is useless. They know nothing about digital and Dolby 5.1

Help me Please...........

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 81
Check the cable box's on screen set up menu, you may need to enable dolby digital and dts.

Winter Haven , FL

Post Number: 2
I checked it and the Audio Ouptput is set to Dolby Digital, I don't see where to enable DTS.

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
Make sure you have your Sony receiver satellite input set to automatic or digital (not analog)(if you are inputing through the back of the receiver's sat inputs). You should get the dolby stream then.

Winter Haven , FL

Post Number: 3
I set it to AFD (Automatic Format Decode) and it still decodes the signal to PCM 48KHz

JonD
Unregistered guest
i have Comcast here in Boston, with a digital coax STB and DD 5.1 receiver, but can't get 5.1 on any channels below 100.

that's b/c Comcast sucks and only sends the analog signal for channels under 100.

maybe it's the same in Florida. if so, nothing you can do about it.

Winter Haven , FL

Post Number: 4
How do I find out if Bright House even sends a digital signal. The operators for suport don't know the difference between Digital and Mono....LOL

My cable company used to be Time Warner then Brighthouse bought them out. Our local rep is in Auburndale, FL.

Winter Haven , FL

Post Number: 5
Thanks for your help JonD and everyone else for that matter.... I checked it again last night after not so many beers, and it worked on HBO.

Just not sure why it didn't work for the football game, maybe one too many Bud Lights. I may have had a setting wrong.

Thanks again everybody.

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 53
Hi Russell;

most likely the reason it works on HBO, is because hbo broadcasts in DD, *and* it is in the digital band that most cable providers use.

Stations on cable that can be viewed without the digital cable box are analog (generally 0 - 99 on the tv) and the are only capable of sending stereo (or dolby surround, which is also analog).

This is why I got rid of comcast digital cable and got sattelite. I got a digital video recorder box that has digital outs and receives DD on any channel that broadcasts it. For me, a much better deal.

Take care
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us