Audigy 2ZX optical out into Sony Reciever

Username: Wuy3

Post Number: 1
ok I just bought the sony STR-DE897 with optical input slots and the Audigy 2 ZX platnium with the front panel which has an optical out slot. I've connected them together with some old 5.1 pioneer speakers and attempted for 2 days to get the reciever to recognize digital signals from my soundcard without success.

As of now the reciever will only recognize digital input from the soundcard at 96kHz as stereo (w/o subwoofer). At 48kHz the reciever is able to decode the digital signal to 5.1 speakers or more but the result is less then impressive and I don't get directional audio from my suround sound games.

When I turn on the test program for the soundcard the reciever does not recognize directional audio for center/rear/sub speakers.

Now my question is if I can force the reciever to just pass on the ALREADY decoded signal from my soundcard onto its 5 speakers since I've spent 500$ on this setup alone and thats ALOT of money for a college student. Now supposedly this optical standard is suppose to be the new thing and its all great and stuff but right now its nothing compared to my old audigy digital out signals (it looks like a 3.5mm plug).

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it because I want to know if this setup can work. If not then I'm definitly returning all of this crap and sticking with my old 50$ 4.1 speakers cause that at least has directional audio.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 932
The Audigy2 cant encode multichannel audio from games to a digital format. You'll have to use the analog 7.1 audio output to make it work.

Post Number: 2
oh well

I'll give that a try, but is there a big difference in audio quality between analog and optical? I've already bought into the hype but just wana know how big the hype was.

Post Number: 3
oh and if the audigy doesnt encode into digital do you guys know if there are soundcards out there that do? cause I can always return the audigy2 since I just bought it from bestbuy

ms06s_char
Unregistered guest
set to S/PDIF in AudioHQ, then watch DVD in PC can use digital out, of course you have to set the audio setting in your DVD playback program to S/PDIF too.

Post Number: 4
oh wow nm I just found a link by someone on this forum and its almost the same as my problem.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/2098.html

thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna try and make the best of my situation and see what I can come up with

Post Number: 5
ok I read through alot of that earlier and figured out its not my connection problem. I'm just not using 5.1 Dolby digital audio sources. But what I want to know is why my A/V reciever doesn't wana decode digital signals once I change my output to 96kHz. I certainly sounds better at 96kHz cept I can't get the prologic II when its at 96.

Silver Member

Post Number: 934
If you want a soundcard that can encode all multichannel signala to Dolby Digital, the only choice is to get an Intel 915/925 chipset equiped motherboard. The new Intel HD-Audio does have this Dolby Digital Live encoder.

tommy_c_p2
Unregistered guest
hello there. I have tried to hook the digital signal between my computer through creative audigy2 platinum. the sound is great optical/coaxial but the analog from the soundcard output is better. event i try to set 96khz the sound is better than 48khz but analog is better digital because the analog output is up to 192khz (maybe I'm wrong but that is my experience)

Silver Member

Post Number: 943
Tommy, what receiver do you have? The digital vs. analog depends on the DAC's of your receiver. With my Audigy2 and T743 I have to say the digital is much better.

Post Number: 7
ya I'm going to try out the analog spliters from radioshack and see if the multichannel is better. Supposedly the audigy 2 can decode up to 192kHz which means its better then the 48kHz that my reciever can decode. I'll post on how things go later on.

Also whats a DAC?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us