Good sub for under $600

Anonymous

So far I am thinking of the Velodyne DPS12 and the Hsu Stf3. Out of these two which would be better?
Any other suggestions? Any r welcome.
Thanx

Anonymous

Also have found the velodyne DLS-4000R as another possible. ill do more research to try and narrow down the list.

Anonymous

sorry to add another to the list but there r so many good subs for $600 It is the SVS PB12-ISD

SO far the list is
Hsu STF-3
SVS PB12-ISD
Velodyne DPS12 or
DLS-4000R

Bronze Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 79
Anonymous,

I am in the same boat. Your list is almost identical to mine. Hard to decide on subs that you can't audition. I am leaning towards the PSB Subsonic 6i which can be had at dmc-electronics.com for $450. Sound and Vision tested this sub http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=5&article_id=663&page_nu mber=9&preview=

I have listened to the Subsonic 6 not 6i and thought it sounded really good. Better than the Velo's you have mentioned in which I have auditioned as well. The Velo's are definitely no slouches in their price ranges.

You should be able to find a PSB dealer in your area.

CompUSA has the STF-2 but the listening conditions are poor.

Anonymous

Thanx for the info.
There's really nothing where I live maybe 2 or 3 stores. Won't have time to check them out till next week though.
What r ur thoughts on the SVS?
AS of now I'm leaning towards the Hsu or the PSB. This is becoming one of my hardest decisions on my home theater system because i'm a noob when it comes to subs. got a lot of info from here though.

Bronze Member

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 80
The SVS subs sound like they would be the most fun. The PB12-ISD is tuned to 22Hz and the PCI 25-31 can be ordered tuned at 22Hz at no additional cost. The SVS box subs are bigger than HSU/Outlaw or PSB. The water heater's do not take up as much space floorwise. I have already ran the water heater idea by the wife and she laughed. If the wife would let me have a tube sub I would get one. Either 25-31 or 20-39.

Have you looked into the Outlaw LFM-1? It is virutally identical in sound to the STF-3 but has the bottom ports and a wee bit smaller cabinet and 20 bucks cheaper. It also has a nice shiny black top. Both STF-3 and LFM-1 are tuned for 25Hz.

I don't know if you read the whole review on the link but they test the Outlaw sub there as well which is virtually an STF-3. The PSB IMO faired a little better than the Outlaw.

Anonymous

Thanx I'll check out the outlaw and it sure sux when you can't audition them.

Bronze Member

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 82
To be honest I am quite sure whichever sub I order out of the SVS,Outlaw,HSU, or PSB it would be hard to send any one of them back. But like you said hard choice without listening to them. I could surprise my wife and have all 4 subwoofers at home to do a comparison. At the same time I can see myself sleeping in the garage with them. : P

Anonymous

True because of the quality of the products but then you wouldn't know if you got the best in the price range. read a great review on the PB10.
Here it is http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/svs-pb10-subwoofer-10-2004.html

Here's another review on the outlaw if you haven't read it. http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_2/outlaw-lfm1-subwoofer-4-2004.html

Username: Trracer

Sebec, Maine USA

Post Number: 3
hate to add anouther to the list but check out mmats pro audio they r around 600 for the cheap subs but it's still better than alot of the stuff out there.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 267
I can only comment on the model I have... Hsu STF-3. It's great for music and for movies. A colleague of mine is a drummer, and listenning to my setup playing The Eagles "Hell freezes over" DVD he said it was the first time a kick drum on a sound system sounded and felt like a live drum right in front of you.

I'm sure some of the other subs on your list are equally potent (or possibly more), but at least I can tell you the STF-3 is good!

i want sum subs
Unregistered guest
i have a question pleaseee

if i get one Alpine type X 12' sub that has a peak of 3000 and RMS of 1000 watts.. then will a 900 watt MAX power amp be enough?

i want sum subs
Unregistered guest
i have a question pleaseee

if i get one Alpine type X 12' sub that has a peak of 3000 and RMS of 1000 watts.. then will a 900 watt MAX power amp be enough?

Username: Monkey_man_jack

Post Number: 6
Is the subwoofer powered? If it is powered then just connect it to your recievers subwoofer pre out. The subwoofer pre out only sends a signal so your reciever is not powering it there for you cant blow out or over power your stereo.

Bronze Member

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 84
I want sum subs

This is home audio
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us