Archive through November 09, 2004

Bronze Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 49
Kegger & MR et al - OK, guyz, but what if - just what if - a guy didn't have any discs of one of those formats - and didn't ever expect to buy any. Would that make a difference, if that fella found a player that was apparently great, and with an affordable price, and that he liked the description of?
I had a wonderful Sony CD player before I got this God-awful JVC - got this unit so I could play my wife's nutty nephew's bleating home-made recordings. (he thinks of himself as a "budding professional musician") Now I can sure play those recordings - but the rest of my discs sound tinny, harsh and generally gnarly. Did I make a bad trade, or what? (grin)
Story of my life. Anyway - I see your point, I really do - but this Sony sounds like just the sort of player I want - so - unless another one comes along with similar specs and price, I may just go with it and HOPE that SACD doesn't get trashed and DVD-A reigns! Tah-Dah! Oh, well. . .

Kegger - thanks for the heads-up on DTS - yep, been researching it, and you are quite correct, sir. I didn't know I had a choice at the rental joints as to whether I got DTS or Dolby??? Hmm. . .
I'll sure look around next time, though down here in Swampville the choices are usually wide screen with stuck-on gum or regular screen with spilled Coke and scratches - take yer choice!

More anon. . .

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 50
Rantz - OOPS - forgot.
WHAT?!? NO RED BUTTON? AW, SHUCKS - and here I'd convinced Her Excellency that the button would free me up for more time doing house-chores! Talk about balloon-bursting! (grin)

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 51
Hey, 2 Cents!

2 Cents?

Uh, hey, guy, you still in the US?

Rantz and I are callin' yew! Need your input on this Mahler 5th and its DVD discs!

2C? (sigh, I guess the election did him in)

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1759
lar i see yur point regards player and would not want to point
you toward something that ends up being not what your looking for.

but my pioneer 563a player for $100 is the main unit i use
on my system and it's incredable! (i'm still shocked)
the reason i had to use it in the first place was because my
denon did not want to play most of my burnt dvd's and the pioneer
plays them all. so i've gone back and fourth between the pioneer
and the denon to listen for sound quality and look at video.

what i've come down to is i like the pioneer better for
2 channel but the denon for surround and picture quality is a tossup.
the pioneer is a little sharper but the denon has a more film like
appearence but very close. so if i new this before hand
"for me" i probably would not have bought the denon!
I use it on different systems and am glad i have a second player, but!

And this way i don't need to go look only in the sacd section
i can look at both and find what i want!

just seems to make more sense to me!

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1016
"the button would free me up for more time doing house-chores!"

Larry,

There's a thingamyjig from the army disposal store that has a red button that will free you up well and truly. And it will take care of all the house-chores.

I think Two Cents has left the US and is heading in our direction. Trouble is our cities are full and he still might have to go bush after all (heh, heh, heh,).

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1760
lar you should check your local best buys for the pioneer.

see how it sounds and take back 30 days later if you don't like!

but many people are reporting they find the 563
in best buys now and then for less than $100!

if it works for yu how can you go wrong with less than $100?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1017
Kegger,

I agree that Larry should get whatever makes him happy. I only hope he gives it plenty of thought as you and I both know there is excellent sound to be had with both formats and cutting off one source of hi-rez recordings might, in the future, make him drop to his knees, look to the skies and ask, "Oh why Lord was I so blind? Why Lord did I not listen? Why oh why did it not make sense to me?"

But, hopefully not and Larry will be satisfied with his Sony.

Also, I agree about DTS - while DD has some great soundtracks occassionaly, DTS seems consistantly very good as it is not as compressed.

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 52
Kegger - your logic is unassailable (I think that means I can't argue against it, but I'm not sure!) I have, indeed, checked the area Best Buy stores for the 563 - but have found none there or advertised in the paper. I agree with you - the 563 was the "good" Pioneer, and they've used cheaper DACs in the new one. Sigh. More profit?

Rantz - was that you I once saw up in the pulpit at the Episcopalian church? Wow! with rhetoric like that, you'd make many a minister/priest jealous. Maybe from you a book of Common Prayer? Heck, you could probably retire on the profits!!
(grin)

Still, I'm stubbornly going my way on this Sony, and will fair-test it - have 30 days grace time in which to send it back to OneCall. Hate to send stuff back that way - but the Sony here is priced at $300 plus 6% tax, so I'm hoping for the best.

Oh, yes - I thought Rick had bought up all those Army thangs with the bang-buttons? Maybe he's turned over a new, pacifist leaf in life - with his darling daughter and obvious love of his life! I remember a heart-rending picture from the Vietnam era - two Green Berets, filthy from fighting, squatting down next to a tearful little girl, and pouring water from a canteen into a rusty cup so the little girl's scrawny puppy could drink. Gee - wouldn't it be nice if our country had THAT reputation overseas again!
(Maybe 2C IS on his way to Australia?) Heck, Mer talks more and more about leaving, but realizes it would be a step that's bigger than she really wants to take. And neither of us could "go bush." Nope. . .(grin)

You know - it is a real privilege to "talk" with you chaps - sincerely!

More anon. . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 1020
My last post for the day. My eyes are sore - wife took my glasses to her work by mistake and hers do me no good. So no more work or forums, it's time for music - both DVD-A & SACD Larry [cheesy grin] - a cold one or two then throw a pie in the oven for dinner.

Larry, if you do what others say, then you'll blame them, make up your own mind then you can only blame yourself and it's easier to forgive yourself than it is to forgive others. If the Sony is what you want then I'm sure you'll be happy with it if it satifies your audio and video needs. Go for it my friend and listen not to us for we know not what we do.

And no Larry, I'm not really religious though the view from the pulpit ain't that bad sometimes. Actually as far as religion goes, I think He has left the building - quite a while back perhaps. And who can blame Him?

So, grab that Sony, put on a good disc, pour a couple of good Australian wines, sit down and relax with the lovely Merri by your side and listen to the music . . .

and no shananigans! We know what goes on down there in Florida.

Marc C
Unregistered guest
2 Cents,

Ah! So they DO need stability. Ok...that makes sense...

Thank you for answering!

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 599
Hi Larry,

Just a little something to ponder. The true warrior IS a pacifist first. There is the paradox.

Cheers!

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 317
I'm still in 'merka pondering my next move. Personally I think California, Oregon and Washington should secede from the Union. On a happier note, I share Larry's enthusiasm for the Rattle disc. Superior performance and sound and picture quality. I just pop the DVD-V in the player, set the audio setting on the main menu to dts and select the first movement of Mahler 5 and I listen to the entire work in dts. Is that how you work it, Larry? I haven't listened to the DVD-A yet, but to get hi-res sound you'll need a DVD-A player. You can listen to it on a regular DVD player, but the sound will be the same as the DVD-V, not hi-res. I don't see how the DVD-A plays on a regular CD player. Larry?

M.R., I truly admire your adventurous spirit, getting the Mahler disc after all you have said about your general aversion to classical music. We should all aspire to that kind of artistic curiosity. I hope you find the music moving and rewarding.

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 53
Gee - hard to play "catch-up" - but will try.

Rantz - hope you realize, my friend, that I was poking very gentle fun at you for your "prayers," and not trying to imply that you were super-religious. . . but heck, maybe you could conjur up a Common Prayer book, after all! (grin)
And I second 2C's kudos - good-oh for you to branch out to "our" music. Just hope that there is enough there for you to continue on this journey. Many of us are so excited about classical works that we often forget the majority of people who either don't like it, having tried it, or simply have had no exposure to it. Long may you experiment, sir! Any and all questions very happily answered here. . .

Rick: - never thought of it that way, but I suppose you are right. The problem I see is that your phrase "true warrior" is likely to be mis-interpreted to mean any of the gung-ho guys who storm villages and set them afire, then shoot at everything that moves. Those guyz, I do NOT consider warriors, but bullies. Am I on the right track here?
In my time I've known several Special Forces-type chaps, and have without fail considered them to be "thinking soldiers," unlike the general populace of fighting men - pardon me - fighting "people." (whew)

Two Cents - wow, thought we'd lost you there for awhile! OK - now that you've gone through all the motions with Mahler, do you understand my initial frustration at trying to play the disc? The menu says "play concert" but only in stereo. If you want surround, you have to select it, then go directly to whichever piece you want. But can't play the whole concert, entrance to exit, in anything but stereo. Very strange.
As to the DVD-A sound - well, again I'm confused here - I thought that you could only play DVD-A discs on special machines - but with the Mahler, again, you can play this one on a regular player. Dual layer? What? I dunno.
BTW, have you listened to the "other" work on the disc. Personally, I hope MR bypasses it, or he'll NEVER get to like classical! Ouch! This is one example of the cerebral compositions that the likes of Olivier Messiaen (French composer of wild-a**ed dissonance)foist upon the gullible public - and cause major angst to break out! But heck, 2C, maybe you like it! If so - no offense meant, my friend!

Caught up - catching breath - and awaiting my new copy of Lorraine Hunt Lieberson's Handel Arias, which ought to get here any day now. REnee Fleming has a new disc out - Handel arias - but I hear that it's not as good as Lieberson's - I'll post more on this on "Discoveries."

Well - the Sony 975 is on order - and to those who say I should-ah gone with the Pioneer 563, well, I just felt that I needed a "newer" machine, and I've had such good luck with Sony players in the past. . .
Anyway - will let you know how it does. It is back-ordered, so I don't know when I'll get it. Nice thing is that it's on a credit card with billing cycles that put my payment due the first of next year - gives me a tad more time to "save up" for it! Meanwhile - on with Mer's two crowns! (don't any of you ever make cracks about "the Golden years!)

Silver Member

Post Number: 318
Let's try a little experiment

wild-a s s

OK, Larry,

I find the audio setting procedure on the DVD a little inconvenient, but not a big deal. I've tried listening to the first work on the DVD, but usually get impatient and skip forward to the Mahler. (This is from a guy who likes Messiaen.)

I believe most DVD-As are dual layer so they can play on regular DVD players and DVD-A players, similar to dual layer SACDs that can also play on cd players. You'll have to let us know how your new machine is. It does seem that the preponderance of hi-res classical titles are available on SACD only. I find the sound quality between SACD and DVD-A indistinguishable. Also, I'm very interested in your take on the Lieberson disc. It's now the dark days of winter and I'm sure I'll have more time to listen to music and drink scotch.

Is there a scotch thread in this forum? What's your favorite scotch?

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 54
Two Cents - (blush) oh, darn! I knew if I went on about modern composers I'd step on somebody's toes eventually. Sorry - no offense but "personally" I just can't enjoy the good Frenchman. Sigh. Old ears, I guess?
OK - I understand what you're saying about the dual-layers on DVD-As - didn't realize that they, like the SACDs, had them. New tricks for old dog, eh? I guess you did not experience the same frustration level as I did with the initial audio settings - I somehow thought that you SHOULD be able to play "the concert" in something other than stereo. Are there many other DVD-video discs so marked? Just never came upon one.
Just checked in with OneCall, and they have no idea when their stock of 975s will be in - but I assume it should be soon, as other dealers are selling the units already.

Ah, Scotch! Well, my friend, I have two "levels" of scotch that I like. Frankly, after doing test after test (hard job, eh?) I setttled on Grants scotch. Very smooth and not expensive. That is my "usual" scotch, as I say. BUT - for guests and special events (like Fridays, Saturdays and occasional Tuesdays) I drink - tah-dah -
"Cardhu."

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/malt/cardhu.htm

Side note here - Chicago mystery novelist Sarah Paretsky and her husband love Cardhu so much they named their big ole dog - "Cardhu." Trivia for cocktail parties? Maybe. . .

The more you write, sir, the more impressed I am to be in your company. And praise comes hard for a gnarled, cynical recovering journalist! Anytime you need a serious cyber-chat - e-mail me at my site: wryte4u@comcast.net and we can get to the bottom of all things musical, etc. I made the same offer to another forum member, and we've had some good "chats" on the wires.

Will post reacts to Lieberson (Amazon has shipped) on the "Discoveries" thread.

More anon. . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 319
Dear Mr. R,

Thank you for your kind words. I can tell you the feeling is mutual. And there was certainly no offense taken regarding the Messiaen comment. It's a perfectly understandable attitude. His music can sound rude and uncivilized to a gentleman's ears. I claim the ability to enjoy his music as one of the few advantages of not being a gentleman.

Your opinions on scotch are most welcome. I shall seek out Grants and Cardhu when I replenish my supply of spirits. It would be most interesting to hear from a certain Mr. A in the British Isles on the subject. He has exhibited worldly knowledge of ales. I am sure that scotch is within the sphere of his supreme knowledge.

Stay well and in good spirit.

Your humble servant,
T.C.

Silver Member

Post Number: 320
Mr. A,

How goes your treatise on new music?

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 55
Two Cents: Not a gentleman, you say? Well, sir, then you certainly have the prime requesite for being a journalist! (grin) Ah, but you don't want to go there - too much angst. . .
On scotch, just remember that if you mention Grants in some circles you'll be drummed out as a "commoner." Hah! I find it one of the best scotches around - though it's usually put on the "mid-shelf" displays. Cardhu is something else again. . .
Mer and I played a DVD movie tonight, then afterwards I "snuck" in the Mahler, only telling her that I wanted her to "sample" a little something. Well, when the camera shot widened out and the whole orchestra came crashing in, her eyes got saucer-big and she could only say "wow!" I'll play the rest of it for her tomorrow.
She's still raving about the sound-n-sight improvements with Vivid - the Mahler actually glows!
Away to bed - election post-partum blues, doncha know. . .

More anon. . .

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 600
Larry,

Yes sir, you are indeed on the right track. What I refer to as a "true warrior" is driven by discipline and a code of honor. The total opposite of the "thug" or bully mentality. I regret that most people just don't understand the difference, and we just get lumped together. They don't know that "Special Forces" are also builders, healers, and teachers in many parts of the world.

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 56
Rick: Yes, indeed - have interviewed some of those chaps. I vaguely remember my father writing home and talking about Army "commandos" or something like that - WWII - and how these highly-trained chaps often saved their skins. Both American and Australian, if I remember correctly - this in the Phillipines.
He was an Army doctor, not a "fighting man," so I'm sure he appreciated all of the "help" he could get. Didn't save him in the end - he survived the Bataan Death March, but was starved to death by the Japanese later. Sigh.
Enough, already. Hug your daughter and hope for peace - though only the naive actually believe it is a nearby goal, I'm afraid.

More anon. . .

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 601
Larry,

Yes, let's not talk about past lives, but look hopefully to the future.......for all. I will drink to that my friend! Speaking of that, how do you feel about 65 year old, single malt scotch?

Johnny Walker Blue Label

Cheers!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1761
Dammit! rick you got in there bafore I mentioned my scotch of choice!

usually it's johnny black, seems the price verse age verse taste
for me is the best mix.

I have tried the blue though(a friend is a big johnny fan!)

Good stufff!!

Glen fiddich isn't bad either!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 602
Kegger,

You know I would be honored to lift a glass with you anytime. That goes for all the "Old Dogs" as well.

My best regards always.

Cheers!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1762
Same goes here rick to all!

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 57
To all - well, now! I've never heard of JW "blue" label! Seems as though, even after all these years, there ARE new tricks for old dogs to learn!
Hmmm. . .OK - but I doubt that I could afford it anyway - I can barely afford Cardhu, which I love very, very much! (but PLEASE - never with soda, as a friend of mine insists on doing!)
Needless to say, when he comes over, he gets Grants and soda, NOT Cardhu and soda!
Down heah in Swampville, though, I've gotten "into the groove" with the rest of the ole gators - and drink nice rum and a healthy squeeze of key lime. A LOT cheaper than scotch, and, well, "it grows on you."
OK, Kegger - I'm ready for you - "something like moss," you say? Actually, yes!!! (grin)

More anon. . .

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 58
To all - thoughts while tending sheep, er, "scotch." Hmmm. . .
To those who like Glenfiddich - you'll like Grants. Grant family started Glenfiddich, and you'll recognize the 3-sided bottle. Think of Grants as the "budget" level of Glenfiddich.
And for Johnny Walker drinkers - you will have a lot of Cardhu in your drinks - that's part of the blend. But not sure about the "blue" one.
So much for research.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 603
On the subject of scotch, we have not heard from Mr. Vigne. A Chivas man, I recall........

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1763
good to know lar!!

I think I helped mr. vigne screw up his pc even more!

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 311
I developed a taste for scotch around the time I turned 30. I used to drink Chivas on the rocks, tried JW Red, and JW Black, but never tried Blue though. One night, 8 or 9 years ago at a going-away party for a workmate who was taking a new job in another state, I had a negative scotch reaction. Or perhaps a better way of putting it would be a reverse scotch reaction. Ever since then the thought of passing scotch across my lips has been met with a tightening of my stomach muscles and a case of non-stop shudders.
I think I may still have an unopened bottle of Chivas in my liquor cabinet. Maybe someday I'll work up the nerve to try it again.....m mm mm ma maybe n n n no no not.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1023
About Scotch - I always offer visitors my good ol' "Well Scotch"

What is "Well Scotch" is hear you say?

When I see the indignant looks on their faces as they sip the stuff I say, "Well, what did you expect?"

:-)

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 59
MR - good one - hafta remumbur dat won! (grin)
A "reverse scotch reaction?" Sounds like a good ole "hangover" to me! But what a crass comment on my part. . .

TWO CENTS - got the Lieberson - see comments on "Discoveries" later tonight. YUM!

Ordered the new Sony 975 from OneCall on the I-net, and they said I was "in line" for it. OK, meanwhile, I found a better price, and e-mailed to see if they would match it. "No problem," they said - and right away saved $15.
Later, I called them to ask a question about possible delivery time - and got quite a story. Seems they ordered 100 of them about 3 weeks ago, thinking they'd sell out in a month or so. Sold out in ONE DAY. Ordered hundreds more - sold all in three weeks - now ordering even more so that mopes like me can get one. I'm about 58 in line this time.
The lady said the reaction to this Sony has been so positive that she can't believe it. She says it has about everything that most $700 machines have - for under $300. OK, so she may not be an audiophile, but after reading the specs and all, heck, maybe she's right! We'll see.
Got Mer to come around yesterday - though she's still concerned about paying for teeth and fun at the same time. Hmm . . . think she's right.
OK - on to some dinner, then will post on my new CD/DVD acquisitions tonight on Discoveries.

More anon. . .

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 245
Speaking of whiskey, something horrible has happened over here: a huge Lagavulin price increase. Saw it in a gourmet store at 75 European bucks, some 80% up :-( .

What do they charge for "big 6" single malts over there?

Cheers
AL

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I'm BAAAAAAAACK!!!

All this talk of Scotch has kept me busy lately. I've needed a few drinks as the computer finally just locked up and wouldn't budge a cursor. Two new optical drives and a system restore (again) and it appears I'm up and running. But once more the information on the drive has been lost so would you kind folks please once again drop me a line.

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 63
JV - thank Goodness! We thought we'd lost you, fer shore! Will send across an e-mail so you can check on connections, etc.

Whew!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 312
Been a bit busy so I'm finally able to catch up on the passed week's new rock discussion. Excellent thoughts all.
I guess I share Two Cents' sentiments in his comment, "Rock is dead as far as I'm concerned." That is, at least its true where I live as the corporate radio mongurs control virtually every radio station. Nothing but "Classic Rock stations, (on which the same 50 songs are played in a continual rotation - as good as 'Stairway to Heaven' is/was, if I hear it one more time at 7:43 every Monday morning I'm going to puke). There's Country, same thing, same 50 songs.. Hip Hop or whatever this techno-crap is being labelled now...Or my "favorite" ..."The hits of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and today..." Give me a break!!!

Marc C, great points as well.

Thanks to Ben for those links, I will check them out. Ben also said, "Instead we get to hear Creed, Godsmack, Good Charlotte, SUM 41, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Metallica, and Nickleback represent the corporate idea of what rock is." That exact statement is brought home by the band Porcupine Tree in their song, 'The Sound of Muzak'
http://www.lyricsdir.com/p/porcupine-tree/the-sound-of-muzak.php

Kegger, I know you're a fan of Pink Floyd and I think you would like Porcupine Tree. Let me know if you're interested in hearing some. They don't
sound exactly like Floyd, but to me they are what I think Floyd might sound like if they were starting out today. Dark lyrics, sometimes spacey music, sometimes rocking too, layered vocals and instruments, subtle sound effects, typical Floyd tools but with a somewhat different sound.

One last thought, growing up in the 60s and 70s gave me an appreciation for the classic rockers, much like Marc C says, though I'm completely sick of the way corporate radio presents it. To many, a large part of rock died as AOR dried up, or was bought out by 'one size fits all' radio. I've turned, in part, to exploring some of the bands that I missed the first time around. They're hard to find but their music is still out there. Bands like Caravan, who released such "classic" album titles as, 'If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You" and "Cunning Stunts."
Man, they just don't write them like that anymore...or perhaps I'm just showing my age. :-)

One of the wonders of the world is going down
It's going down I know
It's one of the blunders of the world that no-one cares
No-one cares enough.
- Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree)

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 606
It's nice to have you back Jan.

BTW Where is John A? Haven't heard from him lately.

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 64
Mornin' from Swampville - some thoughts on stuff from friends in London.
Re the election - a quote from them: "The arrogant create a crisis and the ignorant rally to be saved from it."
Wow - guess the folk overseas really are ticked off that Mr. Bush won! We'll see what washes out.
Same friends put me onto a web site - British review of my soon-to-go JVC CD player. The review said that the picture was "fairly good" but that one should never play CDs on it! The reviewer said the bass was fairly good, the mid-range acceptable, but the highs were strident and painful. Hmmm. . . isn't that something I've been saying all along?
The reviewer used a marvelous word to describe it: "winceworthy!" Ouch, indeed! Luv the word, and cheers to those wunnerful Brits, whose humor keeps us a bit above insanity.
Too bad I didn't see that review before I bought the danged thang! (grin)

Jan V. - got everything all "restored" in your computer now? Soooo - what happened? Was it a virus attack, or hardware malfunction? Inquiring minds need to know. . .

More anon . . .

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2404
Rick,

Thank you for asking. I have been in France. Today I have written another darned essay in reply to AL on the subject of "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan", but it is too "Old Dog" to post on the thread "Rate your Hi-res discs here!". That is a perfect example of a disc in stereo that sounds better in mono, in my opinion, just as many multichannel discs probably sound better in stereo, as Jan would surely agree. I can explain why. I listened to the Lp today, part of my research for background to the forthcoming reply to 2c.

Jan,

Welcome back. Always back up your hard disc. ....He said, having lost goodness knows how much himself in the same way. Glad you are not in despair at the election result. It is really a case of "No change there, then". I do worry that O bin L may have influenced the result in exactly the way he intended. Never mind; it'll be OK. Some stability will not be a bad thing.

Sem,

I do not know Caravan, but they lifted one of the titles you mentioned. It an old one, and not suitable for a family forum:

Q. "What is the difference between a circus and the Follies Bergeres?"

A. "The circus is a parade of cunning stunts".

Well, never mind...

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 65
John A. - welcome back - even from France! I see the Follies have "rubbed off on you." Hmm. . .
Still trying to get decent copies for you - but for some reason the differences in sound quality on the CD-Rs are not as readily apparent. So, what's the difference? Anybody have a clue?
Am awaiting yet another batch of "glop" to test on the CDs - this from the colorfully-named "Zaino" company. (chuckle) probably an off-shoot of the Follies? (grin)

More anon. . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 1027
John A

We leave you to your own devices for a few days and look at the result! To say we are appalled and disappointed is an understatement! I can only add in your defense that this moment of indiscretion of yours was an after effect from your follies at the Bergeres in ol' Paris that obviously provided you with ample opportunity to note the paltry difference between that place and the circus.

As it is quite possible your lapse will cause a complaint from the WMAOI*, I and I'm sure many others here, will be happy to supply a character reference should the need for such extreme measures arise.

For one who doesn't know whether he is Arthur or Martha when it comes to mono, stereo or surround sound, it comes as no surprise to see you flumoxed by the exhibition and/or your exploits at the Follies to the degree where you came so perilously close to THE LINE.

It is all well and good for you to say: "Well, never mind..." but sir, the point is we do mind and if these er "lapses" keep recurring we shall have no alternative but to inform the lovely Mrs A of your deeds so she shall be able to deny you the pleasures of both NAD and KEF until she deems you have seen the error in your ways. But, we are certain it will not come to such a point.

BTW, I am surprised that the Nun has not yet intervened, though I would expect a visit might soon be on her agenda if this behaviour persists.

* WMAOS - Womens Movement Against Offensive Innuendo.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Just for those who care:

November 7th, Revolution Day in Russia is being celebrated today. The Russian government is trying to do away with the holiday claiming the spirit of the Revolution is now irrelevant. They will substitute a holiday celebrating the victory of Russian troops over Polish troops in the 1700's.

That should be relevant.

YEP!!!

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 66
Rantz - Well, now, sir! The very thought that Mrs. A. would withhold the pleasures of BOTH NAD and KEF - no, not in a civilized marriage, sir!
(or would she? Hmmm. . .)
But Rantz, you give good "pummel," and John A. probably deserves such a drubbing! Keeps him as humble as he obviously is. . .
Thought Classical 1 (his real name is Paul)might come on with a "goodbye" posting - he e-mailed me that he is going to sea on a friend's sailboat - for up to a year. Sails next week. Sigh. Didn't even offer to give me his little Colgate 26 sailboat to "watch" while he's gone. Cheapskate!!!
And Happy Russian Revolution day, Jan V.!!

More anon. . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 1028
Larry,

John will take it in the right vein I'm sure - providing he can still find one :-)

Jan - Russian Holiday - Well I for one don't care, but glad someone is keeping an eye on these things :-)

But what I do care about is that after a week since purchasing, my DVD-A's of Donald Fagan's The Nightfly, Kamakiriad and Rattle's Mahler #5, is they finally arrived. I'll give the reviews where they belong, however, since the Rattle/Mahler DVD-A (I know there is a DVD-V in there also but later for that) is my ford to the classical side, I'll try to portray my thoughts since it was only moments ago when the finale dropped me back onto my sofa with a pleasant gentle woooomph!

First, I have no other hi-res surround classical recording with which to compare this. Second, as was the DVD-A of Fagan's The Nightfly, this surround recording of Simon Rattle Berliner Philharmoniker was executed in 48/24 (same as the 2 channel layer) and did not seem any the worse for it.

The rears were used only for ambience while the orchestra played with great aplomb around the center, mains and sub. Sound was very good but imo they should have hired Scheiner to do a real surround recording.

The music: as you know I am not into the classics which doesn't mean I'm unfamiliar with them - what would Bugs and Elmer be without them? - but this recording picked me up, took me to several places where I experienced many emotions from the mysterious, to the beautiful, the dangerous to the safe, to the clouds and to the mountain streams, to old village carnivals, happiness, sadness and serenity.

Then I woke up.

Seriously, I was moved. Thoroughly enjoyed it, Not too heavy, not too light - just right. Someone (2C I think) said it was the main course with Vivaldi for dessert, but I think it's more the late evening cognac with a good cigar (if one were still able to enjoy that amazing pleasure of course).

Thanks for rec John.

Now off to listen to Kamakamiriadaimiakamak er - Fagan's other one. I know I should be working - but I say always put off what you can do later!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1029
Larry,

John will take it in the right vein I'm sure - providing he can still find one :-)

Jan - Russian Holiday - Well I for one don't care, but glad someone is keeping an eye on these things :-)

But what I do care about is, that after a week since purchasing my DVD-A's of Donald Fagan's The Nightfly, Kamakiriad and Rattle's Mahler #5, they finally arrived. I'll give the reviews where they belong, however, since the Rattle/Mahler DVD-A (I know there is a DVD-V in there also but later for that) is my ford to the classical side, I'll try to portray my thoughts since it was only moments ago when the finale dropped me back onto my sofa with a pleasant gentle woooomph!

First, I have no other hi-res surround classical recording with which to compare this. Second, as was the DVD-A of Fagan's The Nightfly, this surround recording of Simon Rattle Berliner Philharmoniker was executed in 48/24 (same as the 2 channel layer) and did not seem any the worse for it.

The rears were used only for ambience while the orchestra played with great aplomb around the center, mains and sub. Sound was very good but imo they should have hired Scheiner to do a real surround recording.

The music: as you know I am not into the classics which doesn't mean I'm unfamiliar with them - what would Bugs and Elmer be without them? - but this recording picked me up, took me to several places where I experienced many emotions from the mysterious, to the beautiful, the dangerous to the safe, to the clouds and to the mountain streams, to old village carnivals, happiness, sadness and serenity.

Then I woke up.

Seriously, I was moved. Thoroughly enjoyed it, Not too heavy, not too light - just right. Someone (2C I think) said it was the main course with Vivaldi's 4 Seasons was for dessert, but I think it's more the late evening cognac with a good cigar (if one were still able to enjoy that amazing pleasure of course).

Thanks for the rec John.

Now off to listen to Kamakamiriadaimiakamak er - Fagan's other one. I know I should be working - but I say always put off what you can do later!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1030
Well that was a bl00dy waste of paper!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I'd stopped it from uploading in time so I could fix yet another error. Sorry 'bout that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2405
My Rantz,

I am delighted that you liked the Rattle/BPO Mahler. Thanks for reporting back on it. The question, as far as this thread is concerned, is whether the multichannel is better or worse than stereo. It will be extra hard to tell if the whole thing is new to you. Or perhaps not. There is a hi-res stereo LPCM track on the DVD-V. I, in turn, promise to get "Riding with the King" at the earliest opportunity. Anyway, where I will agree with Jan, and perhaps you do, is that the music is more interesting than the format. And certainly the 5.1 DVD-A does not detract from the music, in that case, and in my opinion. It is not as if the Berlin Phil is on rails, or a revolving stage.

Thank you for the warning about WMAOI/S. They could start by reading "Eats, shoots and leaves". I am not sure where the offence could be supposed to lie. I was in Marseille, not Paris, and have never been to the Follies Bergeres, but I imagine the old joke is probably to the credit of the ladies concerned. They are always depicted as enjoying themselves. I can't see the harm in that. Circuses, on the other hand, are alledged to be cruel to animals.

How many feminists does it take to change a light bulb?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2406
Actually, I had to psyche myself up to listen to "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan". I most certainly, and unreservedly, withdraw "genius". "Bob Dylan's Dream" is acknowledged, grudgingly, on the pretentious sleeve note, by one Nat Hentoff, as having something to do with and obscure (to him) song called "Lord Franklin". It is ripped off, frankly. "Girl from the North Country" is close to plagiarism. But Dylan adds his own 2c, and the result is pretty good. Especially if you do not compare it with the original.

The cloth-eared, knob-twiddling, stereo-bemused producer is named as John Hammond. Extraordinary. It must have been before he travelled down from Scotland, and opened his flea circus in Petticoat Lane.

It was not as good as I recall, and I know every word of every song. Tread softly, for your tread on my memories.

BTW we watched the original Ealing Comedy "The Ladykillers" a few weeks ago. Last night it was the 2004 "remake" with Tom Hanks et al. I hugely prefer the original. The remake was embarrassing, and not just because of the foul language, brought into our home, for the education of all. Now, that is what I call offensive. Again, all the jokes seem to be directed at the stupidity of anyone who believes in anything. The "joke" about the Mississippi "Freedom Rides" was appalling. Earlier, I'd listened to Dylan's "Oxford Town". Perhaps I missed the point.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2407
MR,

Thanks for pointing out that I posted a reply to something on entirely the wrong thread. I shall try to find it, and port it over. If it is still relevant. It probably stopped the other thread. "What IS this guy talking about....?"

Gold Member

Post Number: 1031
John,

I wrote another largish response to your last couple of posts and I got kicked off my broadband connection as I went to upload - and lost it all. Again!

This problem has been occurring from the late afternoon into the evening for about the past week or so. I just got off the phone to customer service after a 25 min wait to get someone to be told to check all my phone and I/net cables and use an elimation process to see if one of them is causing the problem. Ain't it all bleeding wonderful.

Was this your doing Jan????

Anyhow, will get back soon I hope - and respond to your posts. Will try 2 channel version Of Mahler at earliest opportunity and report. Also Fagan's Kamakiriad is a truly excellent MC hi-res DVD-A - on par with SD's Gaucho SACD - so sound quality wise DVD-A's and SACD's are neck to neck again - at least in our library. Brilliant!

I'll be back!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2409
My Rantz,

Sorry to here about the lost post. I know full well the creeping feeling of dread. I sometimes remember to paste things into a text editor, and continue composing off-line. But not always. It is nothing compared to Jan's crash. My previous, personal ISP, the one causing the trouble, has now lost all registered customers' e-mails on its IMAP server. If ISPs don't keep back-ups, then nobody is immune.

I repeat it is a relief to hear you liked Mahler 5. That really is jumping in the deep end. Most classical is more accessible than that, I think.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2410
Here is my post of Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 02:28 am, intended for this thread, posted by mistake on NAD A/V receiver hiss issue

Larry,

just try it in DTS and see if you hear a difference. I already have a definite opinion, thought not on that particular disc, and would prefer to hear yours independently.

As I write eyes turn to Ohio, but it seems commentators are not predicting a Bush win only because of extreme caution "after last time". So that is how Florida turned in all it electoral college votes for the Rep.? Surely people will notice, if that is a general trend. Sure it is not counter-conspiracy...? If you are right, I am wholly with 2c.

My Rantz,

Thank you so much. I withdraw "genius". You've warned me about this before!

But there was something genuinely new in the mixture that Dylan alone came up with in the early 60s. Others could have done it, but didn't. Paul Simon went to UK folk clubs at about the same time, and went back to US with sugary and sentimental introspective ballads. Dylan has anger, passion, and real creativity. Not only could he not sing for shyte, he could only strum a few chords on a guitar, and hardly tune it himself. There was still something magical and new there. Which musicans/song writers could you put the label "genius" on? They were all using what they had, in their place, in their time. Some came up with something lasting and its influence spread and spread. Some just re-cycled what others had already done. It is not always easy to draw a line between those.

Kegger,

Lol. I can't see Bush with a system like. Nothing about music, there. Mr Blair's taste in music is Oasis, Genesis, etc., so I understand. I would see him falling for Bose, if I had to guess.

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 67
John A. et al - I'm with you on the "offensive language" to which you refer on an earlier posting. Yep - it is everywhere in evidence, sir, and getting to be so "normal" as to make some of us "sensitive" souls wince - often! It is not just in movies, either. Try picking up any one of hundreds of novels by "new" authors - and see how far you get without having to duck under a barrage of four-letter words.
I'm certainly no prude - but what bothers me is the frequency of these words - and how they appear to be used in place of good, solid descriptive writing! Heck, why bother to explain emotion when you can throw in a F--- or sh-- or even worse, cu--. Sigh. And so many of these books are written by the "fair sex." Hah!!
On surround (oh, no, not again!) Too often people talk about instrument placement, and how they don't like to be put "in the middle" of a chamber group or orchestra.
Well, as I understand hi-res surround, it is all about ambiance, not instrument moving. In the movies, surround sound often is barely detectable, and that's the way it SHOULD be in surround sound on CDs.
Frankly, I listen to most of my music in good ole stereo. But I have to admit that the "surround" does add a tad of immediacy that adds to my enjoyment - so long as I'm seated, and not moving around, preparing dinner, etc.!!
In the Mahler - did any of you get the impression that the "surround" put you any closer to, or in the midst of, the orchestra? I certainly did not. Up for discussion.
And oh, yes, John A. - I DID try the disc in DTS, and you are correct, the sound rather "opened up" - and I shall forevermore (sounds like a Poe word?) play it in DTS. Thanks!
I am starting my "jump up and down" anticipation for the new Sony now. But it appears I'll be waiting awhile, as I'm on a waiting list of some 50 people. Sigh. Trouble with me is that, once I settle on a product, heck, I WANT IT NOW! (sorry)
Hindsight - wish I'd had that British review of my JVC before I bought it! Could have saved myself a lot of angst. Sigh.

My Rantz - so glad you enjoyed (right word?) the Mahler. A lot of us were holding our breath that you'd have a positive experience here. The Good Gustav is one of those "some is good, some is not" in my reference. I truly love his first five symphonies, but find his late ones too "gnarly" in parts, and thus little-played by me. For those who love 9 and 10 - you may also love the likes of Messiaen and Corigliano? Not as dissonant as those chaps, but certainly up there in the "annoyance level." IMHO only, guyz!
Merri says the older I get the smaller I like my musical groups - and I've found that (as usual) she's right. The "huge symphony" recordings of years ago seldom draw me in these days - Mahler 5 aside - whilst I spend many hours with quartets or quintets and concertos with smallish groups of players. Seems to "fit" my listening room better, and is more relaxing. To me, anyway.
Still, I eagerly await the new Mahler 2nd from MTT and the SanFran folk - coming out this week, and to my home shortly thereafter, courtesy of (God love them) Amazon.

Anybody heard from Ghia? Miss her forum-smile and input. Maybe she got totally seduced by the Macs? If so, we need to send her a CARE package - she may not be eating right, closeted there with those entrancing blue lights!"Empyreal" may be the operative word here? (grin)

More anon. . .

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 608
I should have known better. I leave the "Old Dogs" thread to see what's going on over @ SPEAKERS, and you see what I get in the middle of?

Remind me to never leave this thread again........................................................................... ....Thanks!

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 70
Uh, Rick: NEVER LEAVE THIS THREAD AGAIN!

OK?

Well, maybe on occasion go to "discoveries" under "Music," - but rarely. . .

Thot we'd lostjah!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1764
It's funny you mention that rick!

If anyone has noticed my posts # hasn't really increased lately.

because of basically what you just said. most of the time
it's not worth getting into an arguement.

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 71
Kegger - Oh, yeah?!? Who's arguing? Huh? Put that in yer pipe and smoke it! (double grin)

Actually, Kegger, I'd welcome your responses to posts on the new Sony I'm buying, and whether new machines are better than older ones. Jan V. seems to love his new and - OK - "inexpensive" Toshiba. And you have told me - firmly - to get the "old" Pioneer 563 (which, of course, I have not done) Sigh.
Interesting to talk with the Sony people, who referred to jitter in the conversation - a word nobody seems to utter anymore. But still with us, in fact.
Doctor-friend is coming back from "up Nawth" next week - so we'll be in his "special" room again. Sigh. Three Macs driving a dozen speakers and projection video - yum! Am going to put the Mahler 5th up on his player there (Marantz) to see what it looks/sounds like. Ought to blow me away!
For a long time I was in disbelief that somebody could spend nearly $100-thousand on a "room," but here's a case where I can experience it myself.
No wonder medical costs are so high! Gotta keep those docs in their BIG rooms! (grin)

More anon. . .

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1765
Well lar I'm a firm believer in that tech "can" make a positive
difference with new equipment. It's just whether they decide
to or not!
If you look hard enough you can find some great tube amps for
very good prices that combine old school designs
with new parts and knowlage. "just makes sense to me"
If you have a good design and improve upon it with better parts
or a little tweaking of the cuircut with the latest knowlage "can"
result in something exstordinary!

I know nothing of your player so at this point I can't comment.

Just know that the internals of the pioneer are far superior
than most would expect to be in such a budget player,
supposably that is the reason for it no longer being made
that they have trouble selling more expensive players because
this one works so well!

does it mean it's better than the sony? have no idea!
the sony seems to be getting really good press also!

Technology in my opinion can make a component much better then
It's predacessors "if it's done right" or it could be worse if
the new parts are just new and cheaper instead of
new and better.

Silver Member

Post Number: 322
Rantz, glad to hear you got something out of Rattle's Mahler 5. I've lost count of how many times I've listened to that work, but I always find something new with each listen. I've found that the benefit of surround sound is different in classical recordings. As Larry rightly points out, the important thing is re-creating the ambiance of the performance space. The sound should seem more three dimensional as if you're sharing the same space as the musicians. You might want to do comparison between stereo and 5.1 to see if you hear a difference. On various discs, I can imagine sitting in the front row (not desirable) or in the middle of the main floor (better) or in the upper balcony. There aren't the cool surround effects you get on an Elliot Scheiner mix, but that's not the point. So, the effects of surround sound on classical recordings are more subtle, but imho still worthwhile.

I've a couple of words to say about Mr. Zimmerman, but am being called away now....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2414
"The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan"

Here is the off-line essay. Now on-line.

Arnold wrote about the SACD, on Rate your Hi-res discs here!:-

Uneven, I suppose due to 40 year old material.

That is a strange comment. What is it that makes 40-year-old material "uneven"? And what is "uneven"? Remember Mercury Living Presence was in full swing. A lot of those engineers forgot more than their successors ever learned.

On the LP, the sound quality is as good as anything recorded today. However, the same problems are there. The problems are not with the format, or the technology; they are with people not knowing what they are trying to do.

On most tracks except "Corrina, corrina", There are two microphones. One for voice and harmonica, the other for the guitar. They are both too close. They are probably on one stand, one above the other, The guitar microphone feed is given to the right stereo channel, the voice/harmonica is moved around. Clumsily. When Dylan sings, the voice-harmonica mike feed comes from the centre, making it sound as if he is singing while someone else, to his left, is playing the guitar. When Dylan switches to harmonica, the voice/harmonica microphone feeds is moved, arbitrarily, to the left stereo channel.

This gives the impression that a third person, anonymous, magically appears to play the harmonica. Either that, or, in some surreal way, the two halves of Dylan, or three segments if you know he is playing the guitar, too, carry on performing even when separated, like childrens' "match the head with the body" cut-out games. This effect is underlined in "Blowin' in the wind" and other tracks, when the producer did not know what was coming next, and switches the feed from the voice/harmonica mike back to the centre only AFTER Dylan has started singing again. This gives the impression Dylan's chair is on rails, or he is singing whilst suspended from a trapeze, or something.

The real problem with sound recording is the same today as then: engineers have not decided what it is they are trying to do.

So "Freewheelin'" sounds much better in mono than in stereo. Just as many 5.1 recordings today surely sound better in stereo. Touché, J. Vigne. (I increasingly find turning off the centre channel improves things).

"The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" is a good example of my point about multichannel being to stereo as stereo was to mono. In 1963, even the Columbia Broadcasting System engineer did not know what to do with stereo, and used the technology to get in on the act, and produce a distraction from the performance. So it is today with many multichannel recordings.

By the way the producer was "John Hammond". The last-but-one line about chasin' dinosaurs must be sheer coincidence. Unless Mr Hammond dabbled in audio illusions before starting his flea circus in Petticoat Lane, then moving on to start Jurassic Park. How many purchasers of the SACD will catch the contemporary references. Martin Luther King, President Kennedy, Brigit Bardoe, Sophia Loren, Anita Ekberg, Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton...? Who will know who the "humdinger, folksinger" who sends him checks...? (Don't all write at once!)

BTW only "Corrina, Corrina" has other musicians. It is the one track where stereo really works. Great song, Great recording. The unbelievably pretentious sleeve note, by one Nat Hentoff, says "One too many mornings" (wonderful song) has the same band, listed in different order. But it doesn't; it is just Dylan (maybe there is an extra guitar). This suggests that the writer had never heard the recording. Like the guy who transcribed the lyrics for DSOTM. All these sins are still with us today. Plus ca change...

2c, if you have can say something new on Mr Zimmerman, I shall raise my hat. Some things seem better than I remember. Not this one. Arnold, you have tarnished a memory.... Still, those old dreams are only in your head.

Sorry about the length. I ask for patience and forbearance from Old Dogs. Please, no, greasy kids' stuff. Otherwise I'll review "The Times are a changin'", too.

Isn't there something a bit sad about appraising these records for sound quality....?

I must say I never bothered in those days. Either it played, or it didn't.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Rantz - "Was this your doing Jan????"

I know nothingk!!!

I am hardly "in love" with the Toshiba. Merely accepting of its limitations.

Silver Member

Post Number: 323
Am not in a state to post a coherent essay. Some random thoughts about B. Dylan:

When I was in college about 20 years ago, Dylan's lyrics were studied in some literature classes. "Mr. Tambourine Man" was the only popular song included in the Norton Anthology of Literature.

Dylan changed the direction of popular music. Folk music had meaningful, socially relevant lyrics in the early 60's. At the same time, rock lyrics had to do "holding hands" and other trite stuff. When Dylan went electric, he mixed things up, broke convention, pissed off a lot of narrow-minded folkies, and changed the history of popular music.

He tapped into the countercultural zeitgeist and seemed to have spoken for a large swath of his generation (excluding Bush, Cheney, et al.) He was saying the right things at the right time at the right place in historical terms. He had an impact on the world outside of music.

Who speaks for the current generation? Britney Spears? Eminem?

There's no question he borrowed stuff from the American vernacular music tradition, not least from Woody Guthrie, but I think that's part of being part of the tradition. Now, he seems to be just getting lazy as attested to in the recent controversy about him plagiarizing a Japanese novel. http://www.japantoday.com/gidx/news265773.html

Yeah, he was a genius.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 248
John, you're darn right about something there. The Freewheelin' stereo mix is trying to reproduce something that probably never was (can't remember exactly, I was born that year). I mean, a guy with his guitar and harmonica scattered across all over the studio. For the more complex Blonde on Blonde the same goes for the 5.1 mix but the 2.0 is fine IMHO. On the other hand, for me Freewheelin' is about the lyrics. The guitar picking is more background and less intelligent, not creating magic as in later BD albums.

Not sure he was sitting down all the time, though. The sound of the guitar and some obvious mishaps with the finger point at he might as well been standing up sometimes, with the axe misplaced. Now, that's something I never would think about listening to a CD. Which for me is yet another proof that hi-rez is bringing back something important for music.

So, was/is Dylan a genious? IMHO he deserves to be called no less. He combines/d words we all know into a multi-layer mat of rhymes. If we say a genious is somebody that see ways to do things most people don't. And before anybody even think about what should be done. Older dogs, wasn't it so that BD's standpoint against war came much before the Vietnam protests? Didn't "Desolation row" forego the left movement with a few years? Wasn't the religious drift a decade in advance? That is, saying things not just in time but way before most people?

Being a former musician, I sometimes pick up the guitar and torture party visitors with Tambourine man or Blowing in the wind. Even over here where few people understand the lyrics, it seems BD's music somehow is a part of our lives. And a pleasure to play, it's like telling a bedtime story.

So I will probably buy major part of the SACD remasters. Important safekeeping of some cultural heritage.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 72
Kegger - loved your response. Yep, there's too many "variables" out there for mere neophytes such as myself to unnerstand. I "think" the Sony will be great for me - based on my research, and my talk with Sony tech-folk. But as Jan V., John A. et al will tell me - everything is subjective, outside of some hard-tested facts. Sigh.
I admire your drive with the tube amps - I once thought they were the greatest - but that was before I grew up and out of stereo and into the world of "work." Sigh. Shud-uv-stayed wid dah stereo!!! (grin)
Several people on this forum have hinted that it's not cool to boast about one's acquisitions, and I hope, in talking about the Sony, that I'm NOT "bragging." Rather, y'all are such a fine bunch of reacting-chaps that I want to set out my thoughts so that I can get some feedback - good or bad.
I'm really learning a LOT about this nutzy world of electronic sound - and I thank each one of you for individual (and collective) "teaching."
At least this is giving me a diversion from mourning over the loss of my true-love boat. and I'm serious here - I've found that, by shifting my concentration to sound, I get myself "up" a lot, which, for an old, depressed mope, is good!
Sorry to admit that - to most of you - I'm a dinosaur where music is concerned. Kegger - you love your Rock - and I will never say I "hate" it, just that I've never really understood it. I was a music student from my early years - and went the way of the "classical" teachings. Sigh. Probably should have gone more into one of my late, great Mother's quirky music-libraries, to find: "It was a one-eyed, three-toed flying purple-eater!" (sure looked strange to me). She also liked Mozart, let it be known! (grin)
OK - more to come, if y'all don't throw up in the meantime! LR

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 249
Larry, don't worry, we understand. There has been some 100 posts on a certain Pioneer player in the same spirit. Looking forward to hear about your purchase.

Cheers
AL

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1766
sorry lar if my post sounded like I was dissin your player
or that it did not interest me.

Quite the contrary I've heard good things about that player.
Just haven't looked at them lately since I have 2 new players myself.

Your comments on the new player to me are very much relevent
since you have heard your other player and don't like it
plus have heard your doctor buddies system you know what your
looking for!

Lately I'm more up on the latest prepro's and tube audio equipment
because that is where I've spent my recent research!

At the time I bought my players I did a lot of research and
came away with what I thought were the best bang for buck players
at that time!

you may have the best bang for the buck unit in mind now!
You'll have to let us know after you evaluate it.

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 73
Kegger: No (grin) I didn't think you were dissing my Sony - not at all, my friend!
Glad to see that you are on a serious quest in this crazy stereo world - light-years ago I, too, was more "into" the guts of the stereo stuff, but now, all I really want to do is to get a nice glass of cold stuff, some nibbles, and sit down to music that will move my soul. Is that too much to ask for an ancient-age mope? Eh? (grin)
Oh, I spend hours each day researching various things - and I learn both from research and from y'all - with my thanks!
I think that you, Kegger, has some very good CD units - and obviously chose with care. When Mer said "OK" to a player under $300, well, I felt somehow vindicated. As in - "whew!"
And now it sounds as though our friend, Jan V., is having a bit of agitation with his Toshiba. Hope he gets all straightened out, as electronics frustration takes the joy out of life, fer shore!
I make a promise to all - if the Sony turns out to be more "dog" than "delight" I'll be the first to post that on this forum. Heck, I've already beaten myself up over the JVC - what's one more mistake? Eh? (double grin)
OK - on with the research - and to all - a fine glass of yer choice!

More anon. . .

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 74
Sigh - Kegger, how about "Kegger, HAVE some very good CD units." Double sigh. crossed eyes, etc. Trying, trying. . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 1032
Hey there all,

First I'll respond to our friend 2C and reiterate that Dylan is no genius, a once great songwriter maybe. Perhaps aging makes me more cynical but I recently read an article about how Dylan refused any responsiblity for the 60's revolution. He aid (along the lines) the hippies were pests and hangers-on and that he was constantly being harrassed by them. Funny when a whole different demographic becomes the main income source how he changes his tune. I mean look how the man dressed and what percentage of his audiences were hippies back then and who told them the times were changing anyway and that they should look for the answer in the wind? Darn, all that being told nothing is the same and chasing breezes to find the solutions could have turned me into a dope totin', free lovin', freaked-out, hippy too :-)

But he gave us some darn good music.

John,

My wife is not too certain about Mahler's #5 but we listened while the rain pelted down on our metal roof and with occassional thunder claps so we gave it away to listen again on the weekend. She said it sounds a little like opera music only without the singing - I understand that. I watched a little of the concert in DTS today and I don't think the DVD-A did any great wonders, but then it was a bonus to the movie - not the other way around. As I think Mrs A said, Rattle does look rather manic - straight-jacket material in fact I think. But I doubt he's a simple Simon!

When I get the chance I'll put my reviews of our recent additions in the appropriate thread but I have to comment on Fagan's DVD-A 5.1 Surround disc of Kamakiriad - it puts the format right back up on level pegging with the SACD of S Dan's Gaucho. Absolutely brilliant sound and music. The Nightflty was almost as good but mixed only in 48/24 (same as Mahler #5) it was just a tad below the resolution of the aforementioned. Scheiner does it again and again.

Okay, I have typed this in notepad and will endeavour to c & p and upload via dial-up modem as my broadband modem or drivers finally packed it in late last night. After giving up on the promised phone call from my ISP this morning, I waited on the que for over a half hour to talk to tech support and then, following a very proficient venting of my spleen, I went through all the suggested motions with the somewhat miffed techie only to be told in the very end when he finally gave up, that the Windows XP service Pak 2 creates some problems with my particular model modem. These are the great wonders who sold it to me - the same great wonders who suggested only too strongly that we download the service pak 2. I have a recommended techie coming to appraise the situation in the morning - I forsee vast sums of money disappearing!

Am I still upset. You bet I am!

Jan, you just could not be alone with your problems could you? Probably slipped over to Louisianna and found a good voodoo practioner to throw a bit of bad mojo my way - either you or that damn nun!

Larry,

I heard Sony were recalling their latest model DVD/SACD players. Apparantly they won't play DVD-A's :-)

Later!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 313
Larry, too bad about the pc troubles, hope they are resolved swiftly. The problems you mention about SP2, are the main reason I have no immediate intention of installing it. I, (as far as I know), am not suffering from any of the issues it claims to fix. I am behind a router (1st level hardware firewall), I'm running a software firewall program, running Norton A/V corporate edition, Spybot, Ad-Aware, a spam filtering email utility, and perhaps the best change I made was to switch browsers from Microsoft IE to Firefox. I have not had one piece of spam reach my mailbox in 6 months (knock on wood), and pop-ups are nearly non-existent with Firefox. Perhaps I'll d/l and install SP2 someday IF its ever proven to me that I actually need it.

I hope I haven't just jinxed myself!! :-)

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 76
Sem: - looks like our good friend MR has more than his share of computer-trouble! Yep, my Arizona friend really crashed his computer with SP-2 - finally had to take the computer down to Phoenix and have a complete re-install. Guess he lost a lot of info, and is so PO'd at MicroS that he won't even mention their name!
Our local paper has had a couple of computer "experts" writing about how to do a "proper" SP-2 install. Hah! the paper has been deluged with more-than-mad folks - seems one guru gave the wrong sequence, and the other one had something very wrong with his suggestions. Sigh. The paper's had to print "corrections," but too late for a lot of people.
Is this, then, yet another case of where MS sets out a product before it's ready for human "consumption?" Well. . .
I know what you mean about defense. I recently changed over to PC-cillin from Norton anti-virus, and like it a lot. It has built-in firewall, and anti-spam. I also use Ad-Aware plus, which has a real-time ad-watch feature that blocks nearly all popups and does a great job fending off adware and spyware.
One thing I notice with PC-cillin: if I want to run any part of Norton Systemworks, I have to shut down PC-C first, or the Norton stalls. Competing stuff, fer shore!
BTW - do you have any comments on Systemworks? I might just get rid of it and go back to Scandisk and MS defrag. But I do like the Norton clean-up tools. . .
I was using Spybot, but finally the other two programs caught everything, and I finally removed Spybot - it wasn't as effective, anyway.

MY RANTZ: - sympathy and empathy with you,my friend. Hope you get all settled out quickly. There are a lot of crossed-fingers out here for you, my friend!

Oh, yes - nice try to scare the ole scribe! (haha) but it IS worthy of note that Sony at the last minute took out DVD-A - don't have a clue as to why. It was in catalog pictures of the first models - mostly in Canada and other overseas (from us) sites.
Hope you and Ms. Rantz make peace with the Mahler. But if you're not "used to" such classical music, it may grate on you as much as acid rock grates on me! (grin)

More anon. . .

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 77
To all: - just in case you wondering if SACD is dead or losing out to DVD-A - --

http://www.sa-cd.net/shownews/32

More anon. . .

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 314

quote:

BTW - do you have any comments on Systemworks? I might just get rid of it and go back to Scandisk and MS defrag

I'm not running Systemworks but I would imagine Norton products are generally pretty good. Strange that it doesn't play well with PC-Cillin.

Actually my whole thought process regarding my pc has changed lately. I've installed Nero V6.?? and it contains a system backup piece that allows you to burn a bootable system backup to cdr or dvd. I loaded XP, all my apps and burned that image to cdr via Nero,(eventually I'll buy a dvd burner but cdrs are so cheap I don't have much incentive yet). When the pc bogs down or otherwise behaves strangely, I move any mailfiles, etc over to another pc on my network and just reload via the cdrs. When I move the mailfiles back over, I'm back with a fresh install with no problems. Quite painless, really.

Now if only I can install a dvd reader that can decode DVD-A's and SACD's I would never have to leave my office - well that is if I also install a fridge and a toilet too. :-)

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1767
YES SP2 BLOW'S!

I just had a phone conversation with one of our store owners
about putting sp2 on all our computers. I basically
told him I can't, to many things don't work correctly!
He comes back with "yah but my customers install it" then the
system doesn't work right so they say I sold them a piece
of crap! Only thing I can tell him is that we want to put sp2
on these systems but until microsoft and the hardware companies
get everything worked out properly I can't.

Very frustrating, but it's not that new of a problem.
many times when a new os or sp comes out it takes a while
for the bugs to work out. But it's tough to deal with customers
in the mean time or the average joe who decides to run the
sp then his system is done and a reformat and install is
the only cure loosing everything!

GHIA you got any input on this?

Also I'm holding a firm 2nd place in our ffl
mr manning and harrison are holding me together!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1768
"One thing I notice with PC-cillin: if I want to run any part of Norton Systemworks, I have to shut down PC-C first, or the Norton stalls. Competing stuff, fer shore!
BTW - do you have any comments on Systemworks? I might just get rid of it and go back to Scandisk and MS defrag. But I do like the Norton clean-up tools"

personally I use no tools including microsofts!
past experience has me just using virus and spyware software.

Anything else that is suppose to help your system run
right generally cause more problems then cures!

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 78
Kegger - you use "no tools?" You mean not even Scandisc and Defrag? If that's so - you must have one scrambled hard drive, sir! I must have mis-interpreted your comments. (not the first time I've mis-interpreted other folks!!!)

Sem: yeah, those T & F thangs are necessary to happy working! My liddle den/office has a bed, but I have to leave the room for intake and outflow! Nine steps to the T (6 if in a hurry!)- and 15 steps to the F. Oh, yes, I know it down to the second!
Yes, I've got Nero, also - came with my Canon digital camera. But I think I've only got the "lite" or something version - don't believe I have power to do what you're doing. But with my Win98 SE, heck, I don't have enough power to do many things!
My poor liddle "Lola" (Lola Laptop - blush) has been my constant companion for six years now - and, like my trusty Toyota Camry ('95) I'd hate to think of "losing" her. My, how we ole dawgs hang on to stuff! (grin)

More anon. . .

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 79
Cables here - - yes, Blue Jeans cables just came, and are they ever beautiful! So well-made - and I absolutely love the Canare connectors! Sorta built like mini-tanks. Now, if only Sony would cut loose some of their 975 players! Sigh. . .
In case anybody's wondering - 2-foot lengths of cable with the gold Canares - five of them for the analog surround from SACD output.
Total cost, with shipping - $71. I've looked at a LOT of cable places, and think Blue Jeans is about the best value around. BUT - you probably have other cables in mind - so only relay my comments on a personal level. Like, "IMHO."

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1769
No you got it right larry I use no tools!

Why do you need scandisk? If you mess something up!
If everything works fine no need for scandisk!

Why do you need defrag? If you delete a lot you may put some files
in some places on the hard drive and some in others! SO WHAT!
The pc doesn't care where they are and you can't see them!

I've run hard drives for 10 years without doing defrag and have
less or no issues compared to the guy who defrags
and locks up so looses files or puts files in bad sectors!

No I do not defrag, I have no need for it! If I run out
of space I buy a new drive then ghost over to it!

Sure if your system locks up and after reboot scandisk runs that's fine!
But I usually don't get lockups. If something causes my system
a problem I fix it or get rid of the program!

I have several hardrives that have not been reformatted since the
first Install of 95 the upgrades have been run from
95 through all other ms os's upto xp!

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 80
Kegger: - well, you leave me speechless, sir! You are the only person I know who has never used defrag, scandisk or the likes.
But you are obviously light-years ahead of me in computer knowledge, so I must simply say - congrats that your systems work!
I have had it drummed into me since forever that computers will slow down and work less efficiently if the disk drive (hard) becomes all scrambled. And, religiously, I did do defrags - until I installed Systemworks, and started using their own version.
Well - I don't know what to say, except I'd like to hear from others as to how they feel about your concepts. Again - you're the computer guy, not me, so I must take what you say with some authority. thanks -

More anon. . .

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1771
The only reason you would ever have to using defrag religously
would be if you are constantly installing and uninstalling things
or movings files from one place to another!

Other then that their is no need for it.
So why do it and give your system one more thing to go wrong?

Personally when I install something I want it so no uninstall
is nessacary!

Like I said unless your are constantly moving files around
on your hard drive. There is no need for defrag!
But if it makes you feel safe and causes no problems
for you then keep doing it I guess.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1033
Interesting stuff guys - this forum takes forever to load on dial-up so I'll be back tomorrow (hopefully). I'll agree with Kegger - even though I do the occassional de-frag, I've yet to notice any benefit.

I wanted to let Jan know I found the "it" for "voodoo practioner" he's probably wondering where it got to. All I can add is that it's a good thing I didn't spell it as 'pracioner' :-)

Anyway, back to counting sheep!

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 81
Kegger, et al - Well, I guess I do move a lot of files around - invoices, pictures, art projects, editing projects, all get moved around and sent out, received, filed, etc.
such is the nature of whatever "business" I have. So - maybe I'm unusual in that respect?
But OK - if you say it's no big deal, then I guess I've been doing a lot of needless work all these years! GRIN
My Rantz - sorry about your slow-down and other problems. Get well soon!

More anon. . .

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 315
I'm with Kegger here, I don't run any defrag utilities either. Today's hard drives are faster and larger, they don't get cluttered quite as fast, at least in my case. Larry, in your case it might make sense, but I'd only do it if you perceive a slowdown loading programs that you're sure used to load faster or are otherwise OTF. If not, let sleeping (old) dogs lie.

In my case, I'm building myself a new pc every couple years or so. During that time, with my computing habits, my drives(s) hardly have a chance to become cluttered.

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 82
Sem: I see one problem here - youze guyz are running computers and drives that are light-years larger and faster than mine are.
Keep in mind that I'm running a 1998 Dell with a Pentium II and 4 (yes, 4, not 40 or 400) mb hard drive. Anything that even starts to get fractured there slows it down - and I do notice a speed improvement after I use the Norton speed drive, or whatever it's called that replaces defrag.
And as to lock-ups - heck, if I don't get at least three of those a day I feel left out! (grin) Such is my case - obviously not in the league with y'all!

More anon. . .

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 316
Larry, I'm hoping you mean something other than a 4mb hard drive - 4 gb perhaps? I mean a diskette was 2 mb (actually 1.4mb). Even my very first pc back in the mid 80's had a 30 mb drive. :-)
But like I said, if you notice a difference when defragging then I'm sure its worth it. Kind of like the many different speaker/amp combos - whatever works best for you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2415
I think Arnold and 2c are correct about the influence of Bob Dylan. But he was of his time; he was influenced, by others, who wrote and sang similar things, but not as memorably. He was before Vietnam; before hippies, too, My Rantz. Sorry I cannot keep up with all these posts. All responses gratefully received, and read. Personally, I think the last verse of "Blowin' in the wind" has one of the most important of all messages: the power of consensus; the fear of speaking one's mind.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Just for those who care:

Germany is commemorating the fall of the Berlin Wall fifteen years ago. Apparently that is considered still relevant.

YEP!

Silver Member

Post Number: 325
Listened to Dylan last night - "Visions of Johanna", "Every Grain of Sand" and "Abandoned Love" (an outtake from the Blood on the Tracks sessions found on the Biograph collection) over and over again.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Brrrrrrrrrilliant.

I'm off for the week. Take it easy, Old Dogs. Stay on the scent...

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 83
Sem: (big blush here) yeah, I meant gb, and just didn't catch it as it went by my ole eyes. I do seem to get faster operation when I do the defrag on a weekly basis - which I usually do. Just works for me, anyway! Thanks - - -
And Kegger - always welcome any and all ideas or suggestions - especially when I offer ideas on this forum that are not either clear or that make sense at all! GRIN

Two Cents - happy week off! Hope to have a review of the Mahler 2nd w/MTT by the time you get back!

More anon. . .

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 84
Kegger - that should have read: "I always welcome. . ." Otherwise it sounds like an order for you to welcome my ideas - not what I meant at all, sir! (grin)

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1772
I'm good lar, hope my posts didn't come accross
as "you idiot what are doing and do it this way"

Mearly trying to point out my past experience/knowlage!

I'm sure you didn't take it that way but just felt the need
to qualify my remarks. They were meant to be said
in a way that showed knowlage of the subject and
not just oppinion!

As you have stated the way you use your system can benefit
from defragging!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2416
Germany is commemorating the fall of the Berlin Wall fifteen years ago. Apparently that is considered still relevant.

It is.

Good luck, 2c. I am with you on Zimmerman, but maybe not in the same words. My brief reply to "where are all the good songs?" is that we'll have to ask the next generation. But I doubt that Dylan's insight and humanity are around, in popular music, today. The most recent "classical" music I like I heard for the first time today; Shostakovich Qt. No. 11, 1966. That is as far as I have got with those. I am savouring them. Thanks again, JV. I think film music is probably the best "Classical" still being composed.

As Larry writes, "more anon."

Gold Member

Post Number: 1034
"He was before Vietnam; before hippies, too, My Rantz."

Thanx John. So were the Beatles, The Stones etc, and even myself (but oh so young). But all these guys and others collectively had a huge influence on the emerging trends of the sixties. That's undeniable - even for someone like Dylan. Denying their role in it is no different to the foxy actress - sorry er female actor - who maintains she was forced into doing "node" scenes in her early films and that such pratice today is way too crass for those of her self-import. Dylan was what he was - I don't deny his talent, he, like others just disappoint me with their overblown rhetoric at times. I'll get off the bandwagon - 'cuse the pun. Gotta go - my techie should be knock, knock knocking on my door any moment. Heaven's door it ain't :-)

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 85
Kegger - never be afraid, my friend, that you will "offend" me by pointing out my errors or weaknesses. I have found on this forum that there are people with vast (in my case, "half-vast") knowledge of things stereo and computer.
I know that, in the past, there have been hurt feelings and defections from this forum (OK, I admit - I did, too) for various reasons.
I have studied this, and learned. And so I now come on here in the spirit of learning, sharing and just plain "rapping." (good grief! did Lar say THAT?!?)
So inform me, school me, and yes, challenge me. If I have some warped idea that isn't doing anybody any good - well, slay the dragon!
I spent today really messing up everything I touched, so I know what "having a bad day" amounts to. Life's like that - but U know dat!
So - in my case alone, please don't be afraid of saying "Nope, you're wrong." Just have the decency to explain to me WHY I'm wrong.

John A. - exploring the Big S. again, eh? Well, I'm about to purchase some of his work, also, and when I finish trying to find the "best" recordings, I'll chime in and (oh, dear) "rap" with you about them. Right now - I'm still biting my nails, waiting for that dratted Sony!

More anon. . . (trite though it may be!)

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 86
Well, I've been caught! To all - (ahem) - just got an e-mail from a forum-member who chooses to remain a-nony-moose. Seems I undid a seam in his life with my bad quotes from "Flying Purple People-Eater." Sigh. It war ever duss. . .
OK - for the record - (pun intended) Sheb Wooley recorded this timeless tune, with words stating that it was "a one-eyed, one-horned flying purple people-eater." NOT what I quoted several posts ago.
OK - I give. I apologize. I'll never do it again. But I still love that song!! (surprise!)
Who wudda thunk it - ole Lar aktually no's more dan Bach! (triple grin)

More (here it comes) Anon . . .

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 317
Ok, old dogs, this is very strange. My replacement copy of DSOTM -SACD, arrived this afternoon. And...you guessed it, it exhibits the same symptoms, the EXACT same symptoms. It skips exactly the same way, at exactly the same spot, for exacly the same amount of time. This happens only on the surround layer. Both the cd and the SACD two-channel layer play fine. The one saving grace, if you can call it that, is it happens duing the song 'Money' which is my least favorite song on the album.
Any ideas what would cause this? I'm assuming its the player (Pioneer 563A) at fault, though this is the only track out of all my DVD-A's, SACD's and all the regular cds I've tried so far. Its got me scratching my head. Ideas?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Sem - Take the disc to a shop or somewhere with access to another player and give it a try. If it skips in the same place you have a complaint with the disc people. Obviously, if it skips not at all or in a different place you then have to decide whether you want a technician to look at the problem and a possible solution.
Not to sound like "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", but, you might try a treatment of your own choosing before you do anything else. You know, "Spray a little Windex on it."

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 492
Kegger,

GHIA you got any input on this?

Yes. Buy only MacIntosh and McIntosh.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 493
Kegger,

Also I'm holding a firm 2nd place in our ffl,
mr manning and harrison are holding me together!

Still in first (7-2) in my league despite Culpepper's slump. Made some fortuitous pickups such as M Pittman.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 494
LarryR,

Kegger: - well, you leave me speechless, sir! You are the only person I know who has never used defrag, scandisk or the likes.

I don't do that stuff either. Overrated.

And, I second Sem's recommendation of Firefox to use as internet browser - I believe I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago - and still am happy with the results both on the Apple (at home) and the Dell (at work).

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 87
Ghia C - well, uh, gee, I guess I'm out-voted here all 'round! My friends all "do it," and I guess I need better-informed friends, huh?
So - do y'all suggest that I take out Norton SystemWorks and just go with the Scandisk and defrag programs that are in Windows 98SE?
Heck, it will sure speed up my li'l computer if I do - and maybe I really DON'T need the Norton stuff, after all?
Open to any and all suggestions here, friends!

More anon. . .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us