Another format!??

Silver Member
Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 110
hey,

i just read some things on the "new" upcomeing thing in DVD. HD-DVD, and the Blue ray. Ok now when these come out, are there going to be a ANOTHER format for dvd? are they going to be recorded in HD persae.. or some other thing like dvd=a/sacd. I thought that was the new wave of the future. with the new dvd players comming out. is there going to be a new format aswell?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Looks like it. How many copies of "Abbey Road" do you need?

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
lol, thats right. do i even bother picking a universal player up? or just wait.. anyone know when they are commin out?

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 183
I would pick up a universal player. Dual Disc is having problems getting off the ground because it has problems with playback capabilities on certain machines due to the thickness of the disc. BlueRay is still in limbo pending licensing rights for North America. Sony is stubornly standing behind SACD, despite unflattering sales and DVDAudio is hanging in there too.

If there is to be a high rez multichannel format that stays around, I would bet that it will be SACD/DVD Audio. It appears that if these two formats fail, that the future of any multichannel formats will be seriously up in the air.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
alright thanx bluestar. any universal player you suggest?

so when Blueray, and HD-DVD comes out, you dont think theres gonna be another format specificaly for that?

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 185
Yes there will. Blu-Ray is a completely incompatible system. Perhaps they'll have a dual laser mechanism to allow you to read your DVDs and CDs but that would be expensive. Standard DVDs and CDs cannot be read by the blue laser. HD-DVD uses the good ol' red laser to achieve much the same results. That said, my understanding is that Blu-Ray has a much higher theoretical bandwidth limit than any red laser based system.

The discs of either of these systems are meant to be able to give you HD picture quality which greatly enhances pictures over standard DVD (pretty much double the number of vertical lines or more). DTS++ (a lossless compression system) is a defined standard for Blu-Ray discs. HD-DVD's defined standard is an improved Dolby system - also lossless.

These formats are so far in advance of DVD-a and SACD, they could just end that particular story! the majors also rejoice since they get to sell you not just replacement CDs but also replacement movies for the high definition pictures.

Buy a universal player? I don't think so. I'll stick with a good CD player, standard DVD player and wait for these stupid industry shenanigans to sort themselves out.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
wow, i guess ill wait for the new blu-ray and HD-DVD to come out. just like when DVD was first released, it will probably start at 900-1200. for the low end models, and just like dvd, in a couple years it will shoot up technology, and the 900-1200 ones that first came out will be seeing for $40-300, and the newer ones still at 2500 or so. pain in the a$$ if you ask me. you think u have a great system, then in a couple years, your outdated! thats dumb!

youll stick with a good cd player and standard dvd player will ya? not sacd and dvd-a? lol. thanx frank!

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1071
I think it will be many, many years before Blue-Ray will have any adverse effect on DVD/DVD-A/SACD player ownership. Having recently tossed out the VCR to embrace the DVD, I don't believe the populace will be all that eager to rush out and greet Blue-Ray with open arms. Players will no doubt be released to stand alongside current equipment and sit ready for a smattering of HD DVD releases for the 'more wealthy' enthusiasts.

Do yourself a great favour if you are thinking hi-res. Go to a dealer with a good set-up and audtion, but don't listen to much to the naysayers - many of them are dinosaurs.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 329
My Rantz,
I would agree, and this seems to also support what you're saying...

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/16xDVDburners.php

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
so as what im gathering, its a looong time away until we will be seeing blu-ray. HD DVD will be comming out sooner i suspect?

so with all this talk about formats and stuff, itll be quite some time? So really, just stick to traditional, dvd, dvd-a, cd, sacd player?

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1074
In my opinion - yes. By the time all these and other technologies get a foothold (if they do) there will be plenty of hi-res recordings to keep me happy. And new technologies don't necessarily mean the new "current" ones will die - it depends on the consumer and I for one won't and can't afford to change formats every couple of years.

With today's technology, new formats could be developed weekly. Good sense and making profits don't allow this to happen. Wrong decisions by companies can (and have) wiped out formats in the past and could possibly do it again. Even with this disposable technology mentality today, some semblance of a sensible approach to format longetivity has to prevail. Consumers can only afford so much change. But, we cannot control such things so why live in fear.

C'est le vie!

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
yeah i agree totally. u think u have the best, then bang new things come out!

i agree with that also. i think its up to the consumer, and lol, the good consumer.. not me.. i get sucked in to the "new" best stuff, and that leads to my pricey downfall. i gotta lean back from that one.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 330

quote:

i get sucked in to the "new" best stuff, and that leads to my pricey downfall.

I hear you. Perhaps that's why they call it the bleeding edge. Of course, its worse trying to stay on top of the PC market where you can buy something, bring it home and hook it up only to find out the next generation has just been released.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
haha yeah, i know what u mean with the pc stuff. pick up the new nvidia chip.. 2 weeks later they realeased the newer better one.. aye.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1826
With the amount of content out their for sacd/dvd-a it should be out
for awhile. the things like dat and other digital disk formats
before that went belly up didn't have the support from the industry
that actually makes the media like sacd/dvd-a do.
not to mention now pretty much every big manufacturer makes a player.

So yes other tech will come out and eventually replace "or coigsist"
sacd/dvd-a but not for awhile.

sheez look how long we had cd's and they are still produced.

So if your thinking sacd/dvd-a I say now is the time to buy.
player's are getting better and cheeper right now!

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
tahts right, they did. everywhere u see the players now.

when do you think? 2010?

i think with cds, they will go to the tiny disk thing sometime in the future.

now its the fact of actually picking one.. do you have any in mind? how much better could they make sacd/dvd-a players anyway?

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1831
Slade since I got my denon and the pioneer unit my resaerch and sampling
have just about stopped and I've moved onto other things.

At the time I felt the 563a and the 2200 were The best bang for the buck out there!

I've heard some good things from yamaha and some newer denon players.
But after owning the 563a for awhile now! If you can still find one
I say for $100 you can't go wrong!
"many people have stated they still find them now and then at best buy
and curcuit city, so there still out there"

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 332
Also, there's usually a slew of the 563's for sale by Pioneer on e-bay.

http://search.ebay.com/pioneer-563a_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 189
Like Frank said, BlueRay is a different technology, which may or may not catch on. If it does, it is my opinion that SACD?DVD Audio will not be eliminated.

Remember, it takes years and years for a new techology to catch on, especially a new one such as Bluyray. You may have to wait 10 years to know if Bluyray is worth buying into, based on who ultimately supports it, how many titles become available, how much the players cost, backwards compatability and so on. I will definately go out on a limb with SACD/DVDAudio and universal players because these formats have already been chugging along for 5 or 6 years and the list of titles is sufficiently expanding to warrant purchasing a player. Further, the companies that manufacture the players have had several years to improve them, and with competition the prices have come down.

Remember, Blueray is at square one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
as i do agree with both of you, some technologies do start off quite well and are highly inticipated. are more and more dvd's and cds being converted into DVD-a and SACD?

like i said, some do start off quickly. what u said is understandable, so i think ill stick with a universal player. i seen one the integra universal one.. doesnt look bad.. any inputs.. or any inputs on other players? other then the pio and denon that KEGGER said?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us