Reciever for NHT SB-3s

Anonymous

I want to spend between $500 and $600 on a receiver. I'm looking at Onkyo 601, Denon 1804,
Marantz 5300, and H/K 325. Which would match up best with the SB3's ? I'm leaning towards the H/K 325 but the 50wpc bothers me. Any suggestions?

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 103
Anon:

H/K's 50 wpc is more powerful that the other receivers. Don't be mislead by people like Yamaha and Denon and Onkyo which rate their receivers only two channels at a time. However, you will be lucky to get 50% of the rated power when driving 5 or more speakers (like for watching DVDs). H/K is one of the very few receiver makers that puts in an oversized power supply and can meet or exceed its rated power when driving all channels simultaneously.

I absolutely love the SB-3s. They sound wonderful. Stereophile made them their reference budget bookshelf speaker last year (budget=under $1K). However, I think you should also consider the new NAD 743, which can be had at Kief's (www.keifs.com) for about $560--well within your budget. Although it is also rated at 50 wpc, like H/K, NAD is very conservative in their power ratings. Has the best pre/pro section of all receivers you can get for under $600 and more than enough power for an entire SB-3 HT setup. It has more real power than my 110 wpc x 7 Denon 3803!

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us