Nakamichi AV10 - Marantz SR-6400 - Pioneer VSX-52TX

Honk
Unregistered guest
I currently own a Nakamichi AV10 (1999). It doesn't pick up D.D. or D.T.S. (only pro-logic). I was told by Nakamichi that it could probably be repaired for approx. $400. I am considering whether I should repair the Nakamichi or purchase something like the Pioneer VSX-52TX or a Marantz SR-6400 (each costing around $530). I am driving a pair of AR1's (self powered 15" woofers), AR15 rears and an AR center in a medium sized living room. Approximatley 50/50 music/movies. Any opinions or other suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 146
I have AR speakers (from the HO series, predecessors to the Hi-Res series)hooked up to an NAD T742 and am pleased with the combination. I would characterize the sound as warm (my interpretation being you can listen to it for a long time without getting listener fatigue) but forward (which I characterize as promient instruments and vocals) with an emphasis on bass/midrange.

Previously, I had an H/K AVR30 pro-logic receiver which seemed more oriented towards better midrange/highs than bass. The H/K had a very clean sound that could be played very loud wheras I find the NAD sound better overall for most music but doesn't quite seem as nice at extremely loud levels. I should add though that this H/K is about 10 years old and I don't believe the sound is similar in the newer models. I have listened to a few of them and didn't like what I heard. Hell, reading this article almost makes me want to take it out of storage ;)
HK AVR

If you can I would spend a bit more money and look for something at least in the $1000 range to do justice to the AR1s.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us