Archive through October 28, 2004

Larry R
Unregistered guest
Ghia: so glad you liked the "story." Merri nearly fell off her chair when it came in by e-mail!

Jan V. et al - here's an e-mail I just got from Lloyd Walker, of "Vivid" fame (or infamy) thought you'd be interested?

Hi Larry,

Thank you for your support. We appreciate it very much.

A couple of thoughts: When applied over it, Vivid removes the Pledge. Sometimes a second treatment of Vivid can improve the sound and picture slightly. After applying the Vivid, you can get a small increase by using a black magic marker on the back side of the CD/DVD to black out the clear portions of the disc.

If you like the Vivid, I highly recommend you try our Super Silver Treatment (SST) or new Extreme SST.
Also, at your suggestion we will be putting more information about Vivid on our web site. Here is a bit of what will be there:

About Vivid
First, it removes the pressing film and cleans the disc. It de-statics the disc. It has a very special optical enhancer that treats the plastic and makes it and small scratchs transparent, so the laser can read the information better. Vivid has no sound of its own. It has no abrasives in it. We make it ourselves. It comes with a guarantee of satisfaction. If someone doesn't like it, we'll refund their money, less shipping.

Again, we very much appreciate your support. Look for our ad in the December/January issue of The Absolute Sound. We've used a portion of an email we received from you about Vivid. You are not identified by name, but you'll recognize it when you see it.

Many thanks.

Lloyd
- - - - - -
Oh -oh! Looks like the "black marking pen" rears its ugly head again, guyz-n-gals! Whoeeeeee!

More anon . . .

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 486
Rick,

you wrote: Ask me about how I spent the money I had put aside for my last serious audio upgrade. I think you will enjoy the story.

Ok, I'm asking. :-) And, looking forward to seeing the speaker stands, too.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1725
jan:

"Kegger - You're listening to classical music now? What are you finding that you like? Do you have the CD or SACD of the Liszt? Have you tried the Living Stereos series yet?

You're right about how much you will find out about the dealer when you ask to play the Mercury recordings on their system."

I think you got me mixed up with someone else!

I have some classical and am trying to give it a fair assessment
but have not found anything I realy enjoy yet.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2352
Jan,

That quote from Mark Twain is direct and to the point. Thank you. What a great guy. The American Jonathan Swift. I thought the "moral case" atheism was made most effectively in 9/11/01 by "The Onion" with God Angrily Clarifies 'Don't Kill' Rule.

But I see that we now have to pay to read it. That's something to think about.

It was I who was pontificating about Mercury. I was hoping to interest Kegger in testing the current-handling capability of his system with "Firebird", but he has a basement, and I think the Michigan fire department should be alerted before he downloads those clips.

Jan and Rick,

"'I'm an old Nikon 35mm slr man' I rather suspected that, Rick; I prefer Canon".

I will not hear a word against the Pentax K1000. It was my first ever credit-card purchase, on my second day ever in the US. It has perfomed faultlessly since 1979. It is part of my life. I shall have to digitize the slide transparencies I took, then. If I can blow the dust off.

Larry, Ghia,

Stretch of road walks into bar.
Barman: You a stretch of road?
Stretch of road: -- YEP -- and don't mess with me, boy.

Second stretch of road walks into bar.
Barman: You a stretch of road, too?
Second stretch of road: -- YEP -- and you better know I'm dangerous.

Grassy track walks into bar.
Barman: you a stretch of road?
Silence.

First stretch of road whispers, quietly, to second stretch of road:

"We better not mess with that guy, he's a cycle path".

Larry R
Unregistered guest
John A. - didn't Jan order us to stop this, uh, "madness?" (grin)
But if you insist, sir - (stopping to laugh and groan at the same time)

String walks into a hi-end audio shop.
He looks around, but doesn't buy anything.
Next day, he goes in again. This time, the manager says if he just hangs around that's bad for business, and orders him out.
Next day, a second string goes into the shop, and the manager angrily orders him out.
Well, the second string gets very upset, and decides to fight back.
He ties himself into a granny knot, then pulls at his "ends" so that they're scruffy and ratty.
He hops into the hi-end audio shop, where the manager confronts him: "I thought I told you to get out and stay out - you're a string, aren't you?"
The string answers: "No, I'm a frayed knot."

John - John - you there, John? And if you answer with the last line above I'll personally fly over there and hit you with a Thesauris, or such!

More anon (No, Jan, don't DO that!. . .)

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1726
GHIA:

"I have never believed there was a connection and, in fact, opposed the war in Iraq (I was one of several hundred thousand who marched in D.C. in January 2003) because I didn't see the connection there - unlike the definite al Quaida/Afghanistan link (an attack I did support.) And while you and MR make good points about the "humanitarian case" for removing Saddam, that was never listed as a reason for the invasion. This was a "preemptive" war - the kind of war in which the US historically did not engage - and I opposed it for that reason."

I am not into politcs nor am I republican or democrat I'm an american.
I vote "mainly lately for the guy that is least of the idiots"

And I don't care or see the point for:
"that was never listed as a reason for the invasion"

our country when In and got rid of a bad guy! "with help from friends"
I support that!

Would I have rather had support by more? Yes very much!

But whether we went in for weopons of mass distruction
or any other reason. we went in and got a bad guy!
so I back my country! and my president!
Any tirant ruler that can be removed should be! Imo

That is how I see it! Regardless of reasons.
That is how I feel and will allways feel.

I'm not into discussing politics nor defend my actions
nor will I debate. That is my belief system simply stated.

Everone has there reasons for backing certain things those are mine!

Larry R.
Unregistered guest
Jan V. - interesting experiment here - if you're still talking to me!
Was tinkering around with trying to copy some CD sound bites - and thought I'd try something that I'd read - somewhere - that copying CDs onto a BLACK CD-R disc often makes them sound clearer and better. Sooooo - as I had a half-dozen black ones, I burned one of them, about half-way.
Now, when I played back the CD-R - I swear that it DID sound smoother and, uh (hate to use the word) "better." All in my head? Well - not much else is there, so lots of empty space.
And, as you are sure to ask - I did treat the "source" disc with Vivid, but not the "copy" disc. Waiting for Mer to get home to see what her reaction is - then will coat copy and listen.
If any of you out there get just "high" enough to try it, I'll be interested in your comments. I'm too far away to hit with flying cabbages, anyway. . .

More anon. . .

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 575
Ghia,

Over the years I have been fortunate enough to do a whole system upgrade every 6 years or so. This always came in the form of a big business bonus, so it was just "mad money", and never affected the family income or budget. The year was 1999, and the money was set aside and I was in the process of doing my research. My wife and I were watching a segment on 60 Minutes about orphans in Romania. The story was just heart breaking and by the end of the segment we decided we can't save them all, but we can save one. The next day we started the adoption process, and by the end of the year, we had our youngest daughter, Tatiana. She was 8 months old at the time. She is now six years old, beautiful, very intelligent(takes after my wife), is is very fond of Mozart. Every time we listen to music together, I smile the smile of a very happy man...................................................

Larry R
Unregistered guest
Rick: you see, sir, the problem here is that there aren't enough people like you in the world! We often forget what lighting "one candle" can do.
Just think about this - there is now a young person who will face, not terror and poverty, but food, schooling - and yes, Mozart!
OK, Rick! Congratulations is not a strong-enough response.

Respectfully. . .

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 576
Thank you Larry.

Although it doesn't surprise Jan in the least, that I would have a daughter from the Transylvania region of Romania. (LOL!)

The trip to the orphanage is a whole other story.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 969
thanks all for the welcome and i will continue to pop in and read on the discussions of the day

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 487
Kegger,

I prepared a response in regards to your post and was prepared to post it when I saw Rick's beautiful story. Instead, I will respect your decision not to debate this and will settle for we agree to disagree. But, please don't question my patriotism.

Rick,

Bravo! That is a truly wonderful, heart-rendering story. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I really admire people who take an initiative like this to have a positive impact on someone else's world. Congratulations! It sounds like this "system" makes the best music of all!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 577
Thank you Ghia. Sweeter than a Mac, and you know how sweet that is. (LOL!)

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1727
GHIA: There are many people who feel like you do.
And there are many who feel like I do.
"I guess that's why our country is split"

Your post sparked me to say something.
And I was waiting for your response! "cringing actually"

I hate to argue politics or religion, I feel those are very
personal things and can get out of hand easily.

I just felt the need to state my stance.
And I to respect you and am glad we can agree to disagree!

Good job rick a true humanitarian!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 578
You all give me far too much credit. I look on it this way. When I'm long gone no one will remember what kind of house I lived in, or how much money I had, or what kind of car I drove, or what kind of stereo I listened to. What is remembered is that I made a difference in the life of a child.

I'm starting to get mushy now, and that's not good for my image.................................

Larry R
Unregistered guest
Rick: when we all forget how to cry, we are the lesser for it.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 580
Very true Larry.

HEY! Where is the "Big Dog"? Where are you Jan? Are you out rigging booths for Kerry? KNOCK THAT OFF................................

Gold Member

Post Number: 2353
Rick,

Thank you for telling us that.

You are a good, good man.

Wishing everything life can bring to you, your wife, and to Tatiana.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 581
Attention all "Dogs".

There is a McIntosh MA-5100 integrated amp on Audiogon as we speak. The item #1103763585. For $375 someone can step up to the Mac sound. Comes with the walnut cabinet to boot! Trust me it will be the best sounding $375 amp you will ever find.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2354
Larry,

"John - John - you there, John?"

--- YEP ---

Gold Member

Post Number: 2355
Larry,

"John - John - you there, John?"

--- YEP ---

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 582
Thank you for the wishes John. The same to you and yours.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 946
Okay you dogs!

As far as Iraq goes I'll throw in my 2 cents worth and then leave it alone. Whether the decision to invade was made for the right reasons or the wrong ones, ultimately it became the right one if only for the fact that an evil dictatorship was overthrown. For me, the look on the faces of the people as they heard the news that Bagdad had been taken was all the justifaction that was required. Reading about the horrendous tortures inflicted by Saddam, his sons, and henchmen, made me really sit up and take stock of how fortunate we are just to born in a certain part of the world. It is something of which we have no choice. The politics behind the reason for the invasion whether it was really WOMD or oil or something else, matters little to the oppressed. The flags of the foreign countries lifted their spirits and gave them hope for the future. It may be a long, long, road to where these people want to be, but you can bet when they finally arrive, they'd do it all over again if the need arose.

If it was my family that was placed in harms way because of a tyrannical leader, I would pray to God that those in other countries would hear our cries for help and act decisively upon them - and without any thought to their political motivation.

If only they had done it right the first time.

And did the US really deserve 9/11?

Who deserves such a thing - the thousands of innocents who died? And if anyone was guilty enough to deserve the attacks, does anyone think the loss of all those lives would be punishment for them?

I cannot imagine living on this world without the USA - with all it faults!

Rick,

All I can say is that some people do what you did for the wrong reasons. You did it for the right ones. What a world it would be if each of us could do only one great thing. No matter what happens in your lives, I'm certain you and your wife will have the fare for the ferryman. You are both blessed as is Tatiana.

Silver Member

Post Number: 947
Oh, as this seems to be joke week, here's mine for today:

A pompous minister was seated next to a cowboy (could this be the Ranger?) on a flight to Texas.

After the plane was airborne, drink orders were taken.

The cowboy asked for a whiskey and soda which the attendant made and placed on his tray. The flight attendant then asked the minister if he would like a drink.

He replied in disgust, "I'd rather be savagely raped by a dozen brazen wh0res than let liquor touch my lips."

The cowboy then handed his drink back to the attendant, and said "Me too. I didn't know we had a choice"

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 583
Thank you Rantz. I still have about 400 years of bad kharma to work off. (LOL!)

Silver Member

Post Number: 948
John A

Going back several threads, I forgot to reply so here:

"Come to Europe and I'll take you to Bayeux."

Thanks my friend, but not in the Volvo unless it has internal reverse warning beepers. Because I know that taking someone somewhere in Europe almost always involves a visit to a pub or five. And of course, I'm all for that as well!

Oh, and I'm sure Tony was only big-noting himself at the time. We know - deep down - he loves us.

Larry R.
Unregistered guest
Rantz: (hahahahahahaha) That's one of the funniest stories I've heard in years! Merri, poor thing, came in to read it and got so choked up that I thought she was going to pass out! She - and I - LOVED it! Going to pass it around to some others I know and love on the I-net. (sorry, still chuckling and can't type strayt)
OK - I'll NOT try to top that one - however. Stay tuned. . .

More anon. . . (hahahahahahahahahaha)

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 489
MR wrote:
And did the US really deserve 9/11?

Who deserves such a thing - the thousands of innocents who died? And if anyone was guilty enough to deserve the attacks, does anyone think the loss of all those lives would be punishment for them?

I never said the US deserved the attack. In response to John's inquiry "Without condoning terrororism, one should try to understand why that is, and what worries them", I was attempting to explain the position many Americans have in that even trying to ask/understand this question is considered unpatriotic. How can you possibly fight terrorism if you don't ask that question?

Silver Member

Post Number: 949
"I still have about 400 years of bad kharma to work off."

Rick, I seriously doubt that. I had to laugh at your reference to living in the analogue world. About a year ago I purchased the top of the range Sony digital camera when it had dropped in price by a few hundred dollars. Two weeks later, Sony released the new model and the price of my model dropped another $500. There's some thing to be said for living in the analogue world :-)

Larry R.
Unregistered guest
MR - a year or so ago, there was a "comedy knock-down" contest in New York - to see what the funniest story of the year might be. This one won it, and all I can say is that it originally came from England - and has all of the wonderful markings of British/Australian humor. It's subtle, and many of my Amurikan counterparts may not see it for the supreme humor that it entails. But - here goes. I LOVE this story!
- - - - - - - - - - -

Sherlock Holmes and the ever-faithful Dr. Watson went on a camping trip. After a good meal and a fine bottle of wine, they lay down for the night and went to sleep.
Several hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend. "Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."
Watson, puzzled, replied, "well, I see millions and millions of stars."
"What does that tell you?" Sherlock Holmes asked.
Watson was silent for a moment, then said slowly, "Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Theologically, I can see that God is all-powerful and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you, Holmes?"
Holmes sighed, then spoke. "Watson, you blo*ody idiot! It tells me that somebody has stolen our tent.!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Please, somebody, help me outta this humor-trap!

Luv to ALL of you - you make life for Mer and me so much more, uh, "full." (what? was that a derogatory term? What did he really mean by that? Was it a slam on Euro/Amurikan relations?)

Silver Member

Post Number: 950
Ghia,

Sorry, that wasn't meant as a criticism to what you said although you may have just planted the thought in my head. I value your stance and even understand where you are and I don't believe that opposing the war in Iraq is unpatriotic - not for a minute.

I think I was trying to give an apolitical view from an Iraqui standpoint. I just believe all politics can be put to one side just long enough to consider what would keep happening to those poor people, year after year, If no one did anything. Again, sorry if my post seemed directed at your comments.

Silver Member

Post Number: 951
Larry,

Thanks, a friend sent me that joke a while back. As to your Holmes joke - yes, excellent and worthy of a good laugh, but unfortunately it was told not long ago on another thread by Jan, and the characters were the Lone Ranger and Tonto.

Don't you hate it when that happens :-)

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 294
Rantz,

Sorry to butt in here, but allow me to offer a different Iraqi perspective. A friend of mine is Iraqi, and a Republican as long as she's been a U.S. citizen. However, she says she is definitely not going to be voting for Bush next week. The whole war has made her heart sick. She has relatives back in Iraq. The country, despite Saddam, used to be relatively stable and prosperous with a very low crime rate. This war has made a mess of her country. Iraq is unimaginably dangerous for those unfortunate to be there. Crime is rampant. Neighborhoods have been destroyed. Unemployment is pervasive. Schools have no supplies for children. Bush can spin all his rhetoric about Iraq marching toward freedom and democracy, but that isn't the reality told to me by someone who has direct contact to people who are there. The country has been torn apart. Yes, it's good to be rid of Saddam. But at what cost? There had to have been a better way, without causing the suffering of so many Iraqis, Americans, and others.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 490
LR,

If it's any consolation, I, too, heard that joke before with Holmes and Watson as the protagonists. It still is funny whether you hear the American version or the British version.

MR,

Thank you for the clarification. I think we probably share a viewpoint in regards to the plight of the Iraqies and freeing them from tyranny. When I saw the video of Saddam's statue falling and the celebration, I even questioned whether I was wrong in my initial opposition. Unfortunately, what has happened since then has taken a huge toll on their citizenry as well as those who want to help them. I have seen recent video from Iraqies who feel they are suffering worse now than when Saddam was in power. I fear we don't know the full extent of the "collateral damage" that has occurred. But, we are there now and there is no course but to move forward. Hopefully, they will know true freedom and will be able to stabilize the country so that this will all have been worthwhile.

And, MR, that "choice" joke was classic! LOL

Peace to everyone.

Silver Member

Post Number: 955
Two Cents,

I said I wasn't gettin into this - last time: We have friends with relatives in Iraq - yes they are unhappy with what is occurring also. But they still believe in the end, it will be worth it.

If more countries had thrown in their support things would be very different. Remember, right back through time, there has always been a huge cost for freedom. It's easy to articule one way or the other when we have it.

I am not for war - But I am for freedom and the safety of people everywhere. That's my view and I will not enter into any more debate. Because I am against war :-)

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 491
2C,

We crossed posts. Thank you for sharing your friend's insight.

Silver Member

Post Number: 956
I thought rather than use up even more space on this thread we should have a seperate one for jokes. That way we can advertise it and link to it from any thread.

Old Dogs Jokes : https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/106889.html

Ghia,

Thanks and yes "Peace" if only it was a universally held principle.

Cheers Macgirl!

Silver Member

Post Number: 295
Rantz,

I, too, don't want to enter into a political debate, but felt like sharing a different viewpoint from someone who has been impacted by the events in Iraq. Time will tell as to the wisdom (or lack thereof) of this war.

Best regards,
T.C.

Silver Member

Post Number: 957
Two Cents

Thanks my friend, I always welcome your words. Let's all pray for the same end result in that poor country!

Silver Member

Post Number: 296
Ghia,

Glad to share my friend's insight. I was floored when she told me that she wasn't voting for Bush. We used to have some spirited discussions about conservative/liberal issues. I shall say no more lest I offend some CODs (Conservative Old Dogs).

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
Everyone,

Group hug.

Don't you feel better now?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Big dog?

I didn't think you'd seen my meters.

Transylvania, eh? A very good choice in speakers I would say. Ottimo!

Larry R
Unregistered guest
To all: Sorry for having posted a joke which had made the rounds in apparently several versions! Will post any further jokes on the new thread.

Won't get into the Iraq discussion - Mer forbids me to "get into it" on topics of religion and politics - and she can beat me up, so I obey.

G-nite all from Swampville. . .

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1730
Tube Research Labs

TUBE RESEARCH GTR 800's Monoblocks

800 Watts per channel in pure triode!

Upload
Upload

Was $160,000.00 now $85,000.00 obo

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1731
Upload

The picture shown is of the actual MC200 for sale!

McIntosh

MC2000 MILLENNIUM EDITION

One of the last ones made, like new out of the box with premium NOS tubes and Sound Anchors Reference Stand. 10/10, stunning!

$10,000.00

Or best offer!

Marc C
Unregistered guest
Rick B,

I knew you were a nice guy - but good lord - what a story... Any sort of compliment I could pay would pale in comparison to the reward, love, and satisfaction I'm sure you get from your actions...

Iraq: I have a pal, an Iraqi guy, very nice man - very intelligent. I'm not so much in touch with him in the last few years, but my friend is. Yusef insists that no matter how things are in Iraq right now, they are not nor will ever approach the terrible state they were in during the Saddam years for the Iraqi people. One man's opinion....for what it's worth.

What's grosser than gross? When you take your rump roast out of the oven and it fartz...

If you'll excuse me I think I'll go build me a 7.1 HT using Tube Research GTR800 Monoblocks and Bose speakers....

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 584
Kegger,

I really think you should buy the pair!

Marc C,

Thank you, but you must have me confused with a nice guy...(LOL!)

Jan,

If that limited edition Mac is on your holiday wish list, where should I have them ship to?

Silver Member

Post Number: 961
Re: Keggers photos above - weren't those thingymebobs with the glowing whatsits from the movie, "The Day The Earth Stood Still?"

"$10,000.00 Or best offer!"

Notice they had to whack a big lump of gold on top to make it worth the money?

Kegger,

Stop the dreaming again - you've got enough!

On the serious side though: Wow!

Rick,

Funny how everyone gets confused about you :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2360
MR,

Re October 26, 2004 - 05:58 pm. Good on yer, mate.

I cannot imagine living on this world without the USA - with all it faults!

Amen. Especially when you consider the alternatives.

I am afraid you overestimate Mr Blair.

Rick,

Transylvania was a great country, allied to Hungary, and subsumed into Romania, not a natural alliance, by the Versailles Treaty. I have a good friend from Transylvania. It has a weath of talent, craftsmen, energetic and creative people. If you want the musical voice, try Bartok. Transylvania has been a prime casualty of people's urge to redraw the map of Europe. Tatiana is the most fortunate little girl. Let me not intrude, but hope she can go back, one day, as an American, of which she will be rightly proud, to visit a better place that the one from which you rescued her.

MR,

I vote for keeping the jokes. I do believe it was I who posted the Lone Ranger, Tonto, and the tent. No matter. It is pleasure to be mistaken for any of the Old Dogs.

The monk was puzzled, coming into the grocery store parking lot, when a sassy lady approached him and said

"$100 for a quickie"

He blushed and moved on.

It happened again, with another lady with long leather boots

"$100 for a quickie"

He replied, still now knowing what this was about:

"Er, thank you, but I have to get back to the monastery".

He drove back, and told what had happened. No-one seemed to know what it meant.

So he went next door, to the convent.

He went to the mother superior, and said

"Tell me, sister, what's a 'quickie'?"

To which she replied

"$100, same as down town".

Gold Member

Post Number: 2362
That was really bad. It was Larry, Miss, he encouraged me. Marc's one-liner was good.

Speakers and Mahler again.

I wasn't much into Mahler before, but I think I've got some sort of bug from this forum.

Yesterday I listened to Mahler Symphony No. 2, double CD, Decca, 1993, Herbert Blomstedt and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. I took movements 1 and 5 twice; one on my stereo-only system, one in stereo on the AV system.

It has to be said that big orchestral stuff has so much going on it tests everything. No. 2 is good because it has two female soloists, plus a full choir in the fifth movement. Plus percussion and brass like you've never heard in peacetime.

My stereo-only system has old KEF two-driver speakers and gives tremendous imaging and detail. The -3 dB is quoted at 50 Hz. My AV system has smaller KEF C15 speakers on tall stands (-3 dB 65 Hz), with the matching KEF passive subs to extend the range to -3 dB 40 Hz, whilst retaining the nice directionality etc and keeping the two-driver phasing.

Depite the warnings, for example to sean, about the penalties of bass extension, I have to say that region from 40 Hz to 50 Hz really does something. There are sustained double bass passages in the fifth movement that you just do not hear with the 50 Hz cut-off.

If anyone likes huge orchestra and is thinking speakers, I would guess two-driver speakers with good bass extension to at least 40 Hz is very desirable. The Spendor S6e seems very nice from reviews.

Rick has smaller Spendors, I think, and Jan's LS3/5a is more like my C15s on their own, I think; there was a passive sub designed to go with the LS3/5a, for the same reason, I guess. There must be a lot you are not actually hearing with small speakers, unaided.

The overall verdict is I like both of my systems, very much, and I have stopped lusting after Macs, meters, blue lights, and the like. My amps get pretty hot, but sound good; even the NAD AV receiver, driving the difficult 4 Ohm KEF combos that fried a lesser amp not long after I got them.

I am also beginning to wonder if this surround sound is all its cracked up to be, for music. Except in special cases.

Jan, I am wavering.

I hope to get my Mahler 5 DVD-A playable soon. If anything can prove "5.1 rules", after all, it will surely be that.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Hmmm? Oh, sorry, I was listening to my stereo. Go on, John, you were saying ... ?

Larry R
Unregistered guest
Oh, sure, John! Blame it on the "ole guy!" Harrumph, sir - you are quite capable of independent thought and action! (grin)
BTW, I'm still trying to figger out how to burn several audio tracks on one CD-R - I'm a real klutz at this, so am going back to the "book" to see what the instructs say. Sigh. You'll get discs "someday." Maybe like the Broadway song: "Tomorrow, tomorrow. . ."
See my latest in Jokes for Dawgs. . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
John A.

The Rattle DVD of Mahler 5 is fabulous. Just wanted to thank you for your recommendation. It's now my favorite version. Watching Rattle conduct the Berliners adds a new dimension to the music. My girlfriend said that Rattle looked crazed during the performance. I just told her he had a bad case of Mahleria. I hope you resolve your DVD-A issue so that you can enjoy the music in its full hi-def glory.

A few weeks ago, I experienced a live performance of Mahler 9 performed by MTT and the SFSO. It was a transcendental performance. The final movement was incredibly moving. It was played so quietly and tenderly that the music seemed no longer to be emanating from the orchestra, but within me. It's hard to explain, but it seemed to illustrate the point that music is the most direct expression of the spirit. At the end of the performance, I realized I had tears in my eyes. As you may be finding out, Mahleria isn't all that bad.

All the best.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1732
GIVE ME SOME ROCK , SOME TUBES AND SOME SURROUND!

BABY!!!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
Is that you, Arthur Penhallow?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 585
John...........................stereo?

Did I read that correctly Mr. Vigne?

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1733
2c you know ARTHUR P. ? dude that's cool! he's cool!

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
Yep

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1734
ALLRIGHT! BBBBBAABBYYY!!!!!!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1735
http://www.arthurp.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 2365
Two Cents,

You've been one of the persistent Mahler advocates, here, and if my recommendation is some small payback, I am pleased. I must also apologise for poking fun at some of the prose early on. But, you must agree; "what can you say?".. Also thanks to Ghia and John S.

If you don't know Rattle, you could think that is all an act for the cameras. It ain't. Tell your girlfriend. He is totally unselfconscious. I've seen him live, facing, from cheap seats above the brass section. It is his way of holding his own concentration, while reaching every single musician. He is not communicating with the audience - the orchestra is. All he cares about is to help them, with every ounce of energy he has. I am sure he is completely unaware, and would not care, that he looks like a complete madman.

Kegger,

Man, this rock is for old timers, young pups, headphones, and people scared of the real stuff. It makes OK background music. But rack up your system, tighen the cables, get a stock of replacement tubes, put on yer flak jacket, check yer fire insurance, and play that Mahler 5 DVD-A. It has to be loud. Really loud. Give it at least +6 dB over the max level for rock. The adagietto could make a brick fall in love. Take care who you first clap eyes on. The Finale will blow you out of your chair, if not your basement. If not your house.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2366
BTW a bit of human interest on Rattle. It would not surprise me at all if he rides a Harley, just like Arthur P.

Larry R
Unregistered guest
John A. - hmmmm - could not open the human interest on Rattle - kept giving me error 404, page not found. Anyone else have this problem?

Two Cents - you are so lucky! Merri and I would love to hear MMT live in SF - maybe someday. Didn't I read somewhere on this forum that one of you had heard the Mahler 2nd live in SF? Can't remember, but thought I read that.
Ahem - everything that comes in UPS Merri sees and approves. (now that she's left the room - scrap that!!!!)
PS - Merri loves madmen - she married one!

More anon. . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 965
John A

"I am also beginning to wonder if this surround sound is all its cracked up to be, for music. Except in special cases.

Jan, I am wavering."

Seems to me you should get someone to set up your system correctly or at least check that all your speakers are connected and that there are no stray wires shorting anything. If that fails, see your doctor about getting your ears syringed.

:-)

Now that that's out of the way some advice on a classical DVD-A SURROUND purchase. If you would kindly oblige please, which recording:

(a) Vivaldi's Four Seasons (Naxos)

(b) Rattle - Mahler

I agree not every hi-res surround has been mixed well, but from my meagre collection, most are very, very good and some are just so plain outright darn sensational, they make stereo sound like Margie Thatcher talking to Margie Thatcher in a sewer!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2368
Larry,

Wrong link there, from me. Sorry.

Here:-

Simon Rattle and Magdalena Kozena...

MR,

(a) has excellent sound and recording; it shows what DVD-A can do. There are other performances around. It is a modern string band playing a baroque "greatest hit". Very well. Lots of good tunes.

(b) is both a DVD-V and a DVD-A. I have not heard the DVD-A yet. It is big, big, orchestral stuff, full of huge sound and dynamic contrasts. Not so many tunes you can whistle. It'll still wash you away.

They are like chalk and cheese. Miles apart, musically. Also 300 years. I'd get them both.

Silver Member

Post Number: 967
John A

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/223885

Above is a link to the Rattle/Mahler DVD-A available here - is this the one you're familar with?

I guess the blaring silence re my stereo/mc comment was your version of a tactful retort - well done old mate :-)

Thanks
M R

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
Kegger,

I'm surprised Arthur P is still around. Talk about old dogs. He must be about 138 years old now. I used to listen to WRIF during the DREAD days (Detroit Rockers Engaged in the Abolition of Disco) in the late 70's/early 80's. I think Arthur P might be more of solid state guy; he may find tubes a bit on the mellow side.

Larry R.,

MTT is about halfway through the Mahler cycle. The last two being the 2nd and 9th. They keep on getting better. However, I think you're the lucky one with your trips to the other SF with Merri. Your last trip sounded pretty nice.

John A. and Rantz,

Although it seems I constantly champion Mahler, I realize he's an acquired taste for most folks. Some don't acquire the taste at all. Vivaldi is immediately ingratiating unlike Mahler. I see it this way, listening to Vivaldi is like having a sweet dessert. Mahler is like eating a fine roast basted with tears, delicious yet disturbing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 969
Two Cents

Seeing as I have usually have dessert after dinner, looks like Vivaldi will have to wait.

And delicious yet disturbing - nothing good is ever without a cost is it?

:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 970
John A

Okay, I've noticed it's Rattler's Mahler 5 you were raving about - so can anyone recommend #10?

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 297
Two Cents wrote:

quote:

MTT is about halfway through the Mahler cycle. The last two being the 2nd and 9th.

I actually had my first exposure to Mahler a couple days ago. While at a friends he put on a cd, Mahler 9, I think he said it was the Berlin Philharmonic but not sure. The listening conditions were less than desirable,(kids running around and other exrtaneous noise), but I came away thinking, "I think I could like this." I may have to explore further. Thanks all.

Larry R
Unregistered guest
Two Cents, et al - yes, Santa Fe was revelatory. Always has been. Always will be. True, the city itself is rather dirty, and there is racial tension everywhere - but a half-dozen miles north of town, out in the expansive desert, opera is king, queen and servant of the night. I have enjoyed opera in New York, Seattle, Denver, Chicago, Houston and the tiny town of Central City, Colorado. Santa Fe still excites - because you become one with the vast expanse of New Mexico whilst you are also one with the opera being performed before your eyes.
I'm eagerly awaiting the Mahler 2 from MTT and SFS - especially since Lorraine Hunt Lieberson is singing in it. Her CDs are magical, and so I think this, too, shall be extra-special.
Mahler is, indeed, "acquired taste." Sigh. Even I have trouble with symphonies 6 and onward. I cowardly return to 1-5 each time, and excuse my cowardice with something like: "well, the sonic values of 6 plus are too exhausting for me." Now that, friends, is a load of Bull C. Harruummppph.
But still I DO prefer the early symphonies, and leave the late ones to your tender and younger ears.
Merri dropped the bomb on me last night - as we were discussing a 2005 "adventure" in London. Why don't we, she said, go back to Santa Fe, instead. I'm really afraid of going overseas, since so many people are ready to hate Americans there.
Whoa, horses. I slowly talked her down from her angst level - then asked what she really wanted.
Santa Fe - again - she said. Sigh. Well, why? They're doing Turandot, she said. Aha - got me! That's my favorite opera - and well, we're thinking about all sorts of stuff right now.
Not the least of which is upcoming bills for $1,900 for two crowns for Mer. Sigh - double sigh.
We may be here in swampville next summer - but hopefully listening to a new SACD of Mahler's 2nd with MTT and SFS? Let's hope for the best, all 'round, gang!

John A. - thanks for the new link. Ah, yes, Ms. Kozena - have a CD of hers, and like it - but not nearly so well as I like Natalie Dessay and REnee Fleming, I think. Weloming new blood, however, and let us see what happens to all.

More anon. . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 2369
My Rantz,

That link you posted is to Mahler 10. I have that. It is an excellent recording. That is the least accessible of his symphonies. In fact, he never completed it. In the wrong frame of mind, you might never finish listening to it, either. The link says you need NTSC video, which is nonsense, it is a DVD-A. EzyDVD does not list the Mahler 5. Despite my love of Toowoomba, you could try:

http://www.hmv.com.au/product/dvd.asp?sku=869034

HMV Shop (Oz) seems to have everything. I am sure there are others.

I had an exchange with 2c and Ghia on No. 10. It is wierd.

I really would advise not starting there.

Mahler 5 was the one the NY broker Gilbert Kaplan happened to hear one day, and was so transfixed he took a year off to learn music from zero, just so he could hire an orchestra and conduct it.

Someone's recording of the movement marked "Adagietto" was used in the the film "Death in Venice".

The nice thing about the EMI/Rattle Mahler 5 is you get both a real hi-res DVD-A and a DVD-V with DTS and AC-3, and video footage of the whole thing, including an interview. Plus a "filler" of a shorter piece by a modern composer (which seems off with the birds, to me, but that's probably me). The amazing thing about the whole project is that the Berlin Phil picked Rattle as their principal conductor and artistic director in the first place. Normally these guys are elderly, extremely German, and extremely conservative. Rattle is none of those. He comes from Liverpool. He built his reputation, really, with the City of Birmingham Symphony Ochestra. They, and all its audiences, loved the guy. I guess it was time to move on. I hope the Berliners realise what they've got, and look after him. He started as a percussionist, himself. His rapport with the players is just extraordinary.

The Four Seasons is a totally different ball game. It is a set of four baroque concertos for solo violin and string orchestra. Each has three movements: fast-slow-fast. It is "programmatic" meaning each movement is supposed to be about something: birds singing in spring (plus an old dog barking in the slow movement -Rick?); thunder storms in summer; peasants getting p*ssed after the harvest in autumn; that sort of thing.

The Naxos version is "modern instruments" (different in construction from the ones Vivaldi would have known) and modern phrasing, but they play like the devil, and the disc really shows how MC can give "take you there". You really can hear how big the room is. The violin soloist gets the centre channel and he darned well uses it. It is one of the few Naxos DVD-As really in 96 kHz/24 bit. The sound is awesome. That disc, too, has some more Vivaldi as a "filler"; In that, there are two orchestras, one of them is behind you. You can't do that in stereo, either.

I guess the blaring silence re my stereo/mc comment was your version of a tactful retort

No, I just missed it, sorry. Was that the one about "Margie" in a sewer?

No, no, stereo is great. There are just things it can't do. Even for music, Rick, and Jan. Hi-res vs CD is a different question. And really 96 kHz/24 bit reaches parts that CD cannot reach. If done properly. I'd reckon either of those DVD-A prove the point. Except I think the Vivaldi does not have a hi-res stereo track. You can still hear the hi-res benefit in the surround version (5.0 by the way, you can give the Krakatoa a well-earned break).

BTW 2c and Ghia, I think the San Fransciso Symphony Mahler CDs I have are great, too.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 586
............on the old dog barking in the slow movement part..............How did you rate my performance John?

Larry R
Unregistered guest
And then there was the Carnegie Hall "opening night" on TV - sigh. Why they decided to do an all-Strauss (Richard, not the waltz kings) program I'll never know!
Renee Fleming was in great voice - natch - but the Strauss "four last songs" were so melancholy and "down" that I quickly grew weary of them.
In her close-ups, Ms. Fleming exhibited the work of "care-givers" who should be run out of town for bad taste. A really awful hair-bleach job and about three pounds too much black eye-liner. Made her look very raccoon-like. Sad.
Mer is quick to note such things. . .

John A. - the Kaplan story is fascinating - saw a TV mini-doc on him, and talk about intensity! The man became a kind of "Moonie" over Mahler. (oh-oh, I hear it coming - "Moon over Mahler" - NO)
And I was glad to hear that our friend Rick has made his recording debut! Barking may not be universally accepted as "mainstream" instrumentation, but what the heck! Go for it!
(grin)

Two Cents - being closer to the action than I am here (heck, everybody's closer) I wonder - have you read about a release date on the Mahler 2nd? I intend to snap up that one quicker than you can blink!

Rantz - is there ANY music that you don't know about? Every time somebody posts a new idea, you seem to jump in with gusto - and facts. But I do hope that you eventually broaden your knowledge base by visiting and hearing an opera in the Sydney Opera House. (drool) a life-long yearning on my part. . .

Trailing thoughts - surely you've all read, on those too-short CD jackets: "authentic instruments." I get a big kick out of that. Surely all instruments are "authentic," aren't they? Well, maybe not in the case of Rick and the barking - - -
"Original instruments" is equally as colorful, if misleading. "Period instruments," fortunately, is creeping into general usage. Whew!. . .
Too many of them are reedy and unstable for me, I'll stick with "modern, original, authentic instruments," thank you very much.

More anon . . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 2370
Rick,

On the Naxos one, you were a bit loud, and just a bit heavy-handed with the vibrato. The "loud" could have been the engineers, or else you were about to bite the soloist. You were sitting with the violas.

Unmistakably Rick, though. Gruff as anything. But wagging the old tail, in a good-humoured sort of way.

Larry,

2c said Kaplan's Mahler 5 was good, but not the best. We had a whole session on this. I think it was on "Discoveries". I got all condescending about the "Gus and Alma" soap opera. I've changed my mind. Rattle is certainly qualified to speak on that, as we see from the link, above. His take on the soap in the interview is hilarious. I won't spoil it for you.

Just don't start me on "Authentic instruments".....

Fritz Speigel was a music critic and wit, who hated them.

He said they were called "period instruments" because they were in tune once a month.

That is fairly offensive, I think you will agree.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 588
.....I do hope it wasn't too over the top, but you are very kind indeed sir, very, very kind.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2371
Not at all over the top, Rick.

"Forthright" would be about the right word.

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
Larry R.,

Program notes for the MTT/SFSO Mahler 9 performance last month stated the recording of the 2nd will be released this month. So any day now. Have you listened to Lieberson's disk of Handel arias? It's received great reviews, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

John A., Rantz, and Sem,

Kaplan, the stock broker turned conductor, is obsessed with Mahler 2. He now has several recordings of this piece. I've heard early versions, which weren't anything special. His latest one is with the Vienna PO, available in SACD. It's supposed to be better than his earlier attempts. Mahler 2 is also the work that convinced the 11-year old Simon Rattle to become a conductor, according to the inverview on the Mahler 5 DVD-V.

Rick,

I think I heard you in a bootleg recording of Dylan's "Every Grain of Sand". There are two instances when a dog barks in the background. I prefer this version of the song over the studio version, because of that old (baritone) dog.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 589
2C,

You have a keen ear sir. I couldn't pass up the chance to work with Mr. Zimmerman.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2372
MR,

I stand corrected by 2c. Kaplan went for Mahler 2. Thanks, 2c.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2373
The only Zimmerman mention of dogs I can think of is in "One too many mornings". Great song.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 590
........a great artist as well..............

Larry R
Unregistered guest
John A. - L O L - No, the "period" designation is not offensive at all, sir - it is, in fact, a darned good description! (grin)

2 Cents - I have Lieberson's Bach Cantata disc, and the Handel is on order with - who else - Amazon! If they ever go outta business. . . .
I'll post a so-called "review" when the disc arrives - which will be in about 10 days or so, I think.
Meanwhile, I've got the Rattle/M-5 disc coming about November 4th - and it comes along with the very, very funny movie: "Moon over Parador." I highly recommend this DVD! Read about it on Amazon, if U wish. . .

Larry R
Unregistered guest
OK, guyz-n-gals - am thinking about re-registering with the forum. Can I get back any of my original (not "period" grin) posting level, or do I start from scratch? Hmm. . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 2374
Rick,

........a great artist as well..............

Wholehearted agreement.

Larry,

I think My Rantz got his points back, but he had not been gone so long. Jan refuses to count posts, otherwise he would be up there. You can have some of mine, if you like.

Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1
Well, John - as you can see, I'm back - though not in quite the same "form" as before. Same person, diff-runt "look." Sigh. So goes life.
Thanks - so I'm back to "newbie" status. Been dare, dun dat! (grin)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2375
I see My Rantz will soon have a gold member, too. I can get my own back...

It is only for the few, Larry.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2376
....Sorry, "Wryter"!

J. Vigne should take the name "Righter". No, on second thoughts.

Naples, FL

Post Number: 3
Nope - Larry it still is - for some reason it wouldn't take Larry R - but I might try again?

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1737
leave MY member alone!

Naples, FL

Post Number: 4
Nope - Larry it still is - for some reason it wouldn't take Larry R - but I might try again?

Naples, FL

Post Number: 5
Sorry, guyz - guess I'm trying TOO hard to post!

And (blush) Kegger - sorry, I thought was something else.

Naples, FL

Post Number: 6
Kegger - as a "tube" guy - you might be interested in this. A friend just e-mailed me that he's ordering yet another "tweak" - and wanted to know if I wanted to "split" it.
well - I knew what he was talking about - had researched it but found it too expensive - so I said sure, why not?
Anyway - some of you reading this will think I've gone over the top (expecting terse reply from John A. here) - but the product, as you might guess, comes from the same company as the "Vivid" does.
This one is even stranger - called SST - and is some sort of silver glop that you rub on your member - NO! - you put gently on tube prongs and on all connectors in your system. You can read about it on www.walkeraudio.com. Anyway, he's sending me some - and I'll let you know about it. Of course, I don't have any tubes (on my equipment, I mean ON MY STEREO) but if I think it worthwhile - yah want me to send you a dab? After you read, you decide. It'll be free, anyway!

Larry

Naples, FL

Post Number: 7
OK - let's see if I got my real name back. Testing, testing. . .

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1738
I will check the link lar!

not much time at work lately though!

I have used simalur products on computer equipment
power supply connectors. I have a dual processor
system that some people have problems pulling to
much current through the molex connector so this
product was suggested to keep the heat down by
increasing the contact points.

don't know if it works for sure or not but many have
had Issues in this area that I have not.

Naples, FL

Post Number: 8
Whew! That was scary! Thought I'd be a non-person forever!

Naples, FL

Post Number: 10
Kegger: OK - I'm doing a lot of research on SST but, as you might imagine, most of the so-called "reviews" are pap designed to keep sponsors, etc. However, from what I've read so far, I guess it makes sense? Heck - I'm one of those poor mopes who plugs in his stuff, and, well, that's that! I've never cleaned many connectors, but when I have, I've used either alcohol, contact cleaner or sometimes ProGold. Just never gave it a seond thought.
What DOES concern me, however, is the different metals meeting up - gold connector to tin connector on amp, for example. In boating, anyway, those different metals set up a potentially bad connection - corrosion, etc.
And now to add silver to the equation - I wonder if that's "gooder" or "badder?" Hmm. . .

More anon - - - Lar

Silver Member

Post Number: 977
"I see My Rantz will soon have a gold member, too. I can get my own back... "

John A

Yes, hopefully the gold will prove a better conductor :-)

Aslo, I can't believe you lost yours. Maybe it's . . . doesn't matter, I'm sure it will turn up :-)

And thanks for all the Mahler/Vivaldi information, I'll most likely get the #5 as you suggested. Also, many reviewers (and 2C) agree with your opinion of Vivaldi's Four Seasons so I may look into that one soon also. I'll certainly let you know what we think after we have had a chance to listen critically to them. HMV seem to have gotten their on-line act together so I'll have a good look around thier site. I'm not really turning a new musical leaf, I only wanting to test the waters, learn to appreciate something a little different and also have some good classical recordings on hand for guests.

"Rantz - is there ANY music that you don't know about?"

Larry

You're confusing me with John or one of the other dogs. I know very little classical music or the operas etc. My mother-in-law was a concert pianist, my wife was very accomplished in ballet and contemporary dance, my grandfather once sang (in his marvellous tenor voice) the opera classics (as a hobby and for showing off) so you'd think I'd have at least some leaning toward this genre. But no, old rock, a little pop, jazz, jazz/blues, and a little of the 50's swing - oh, and of course there was always Oklahoma and South Pacific - but, after the wind came sweeping down the plain, I washed that corn right out of my hair. Then, some time later, on some enchanted evening, I saw a stranger across a crowded room. She looked younger than springtime and I knew at once Bl00dy Mary (who was really always too Bali Hai for me) was no longer the girl I loved. So, having found the stranger I never let her go and every morning is, "Oh what a beautiful morning!"

We are celebrating the stranger's fifty years this coming Tuesday and she's still as drop dead beautiful as when I first saw her across that crowded room - I kid you not - but, more importantly, she's even more beautiful on the inside! It's not how old do I feel, it's how fortunate have I been.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 591
Here, Here ! Let me be the first to stand and raise my glass in a toast. To the lovely lady and the lucky "Old Dog". Cheers....................

Silver Member

Post Number: 979
Rick,

On her behalf I thank you kindly. Sorry I if got a bit smaltzy there but these milestones tend to get bring out the tender side of this gruff, tuff, old dog (grrrr - that's better).

We talk and argue about Iraq, the worlds's problems, etc yet everything that is good about living stares at us in the face every day and it's so easy to become out of tune with what is truly important - so this morning I got out the duster and cloth and gave my audio gear a real good caring clean.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us