Bass Management

Username: Blazer

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone. Does anyone know if HK is the only receiver to offer trip/quad bass management. This seems to make painfully obvious sense since many ht systems use bookshelf speakers for their fronts and smaller bookshelf speakers for their rears. Why don't other manufacturers incorporate this tech into their receivers? Of course this is a moot point if you're using lare fronts or the same size speakers all around. Am I missing something here?

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 120
Scott: yes, others offer assignment of the bass cutoff (crossover) frequency. I think the H/K one-upped the competition with the quad base management in the newer x30 line (by offering bass management for the surround channels as well).

Actually, large speakers, even though full range, can't get that bass extension that "most" subwoofers can. You need bass management for them to. Although my Paradigm Reference Eclipse/BPs have base extension to 18Hz... there's definately a "hole" somewhere around 50Hz. So even then, I assigned the cutoff to 60Hz on my H/K 525. (If I wanted to follow the THX guidelines, I'd make it 80Hz, but my subwoofer doesn't seem as tight as the bass from my Paradigms.)

Are you missing something... maybe? Other manufacturers have "bass management" included. I think the B&K 507 has the most SERIOUS bass management I've ever seen (read about)... but then again, they charge $3K (USD) for that puppy. Another reason some of them may not offer the bass management as H/K does, could be their THX certification. I'm just guessing there. THX requires an 80hz cutoff for bass freqs... so...

Unregistered guest
Even some of the lower-end Sony A/V receivers have good bass management features.

My STR-DE885 provides adjustable crossover settings (in 10 Hz steps) for the center, mains and surrounds, as well as an LFE-cutoff (default to 120 Hz, adjustable by 10 Hz steps).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us