New System vs Progressive Scan

Username: Taxman9

Post Number: 1
Hello,
I was able to get the Pioneer HTD 510 5 speaker, cd/dvd, receiver surround sound package for an extremely great price from a friend ($75). I have now found out that this Receiver/Player (one piece)only has s-video and composite outputs and has component input? I currently have a Phillips 27 inch flat screen with a 5 disc phillips progressive scan dvd player. The tv excepts component and S video, and the phillips dvd player sends component video as well. I am very satisfied with the arrangement (running the component cables now)but did not have the surround sound. This new Pioneer system is NOT progressive scan and the best output it has is S video, so I would be downgrading on the DVD player and on the input type for video and upgrading on the sound package. Is it worth it? How much of a difference would you expect in the picture quality?

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 315
Picture quality with progressive scan through component cables is noticeably better. But you may not need to compromise.

Have you tried connecting the phillips dvd player component video cables directly to the tv and running the audio cables from the dvd player to the receiver/player audio input (assuming they exist) and running a second set of audio cables from the receiver/player audio output to the tv. That way you get the picture directly from the dvd player and the surround sound audio from the receiver.

wsteph9128
Unregistered guest
my sony dvd player has optical hookups and 5.1 surround sound rca jack hookups. It is hooked up to a sony dts surround sound reciever. Will i have true 5.1 surround if i use the optical hookup?

wsteph9128
Unregistered guest
my sony dvd player has optical hookups and 5.1 surround sound rca jack hookups. It is hooked up to a sony dts surround sound reciever. Will i have true 5.1 surround if i use the optical hookup?

Unregistered guest
I have just connected my dvd player to my new flat screen tv using component cables but cannot get the DVD to play in color. what am I missing? bounce back via email! thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us