Dump Speakers or Receiver?

Username: Mandomichael

Russell, Pa Usa

Post Number: 1
This is my first post. I just found this forum. I have the Sony STRDE-925 with 4/8 ohm switch and Cerwin Vega VS series 4 ohm speakers. The center and rear and Advent 8 ohm. I have no Sub, but the CV's go Way down there so I've never missed it. I know it's a hodgepodge. but they do sound surprisingly good and I'm a musician so I'm pickier than most, though not an audiophile. I use the system for music 75% of the time and movies 25%. I keep burning up the amps in the Sony. (DUH?!) Well, the guy at BR549 slash rate deals thought it would work. What did I know(self-evident)? I would like to know:
1) can I run these speakers with any receiver and not expect problems.
2) Would the addition of a subwoofer keep it from burning the amps?
3) can I add some kind of resistor or otherwise change the impedance on the speakers without ruining the sound?

I don't have a great deal to spend right now, but I'd like to hear as many options as possible.

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 46
They're some great speakers, with a luke warm receiver. The ES line of Sony's is good, but I don't even think they offer a Receiver that can push past 6 ohm impedance.

Get a new receiver which can handle the speakers. You may want to think of a 2 channel power amp which can drive at 4 Ohms.

Biggest question would be why does that Sony Receiver lead you to believe it can drive 4 ohm speakers but can't? Maybe the fine print says to keep the volume level at -50 or lower.

Russell, Pa Usa

Post Number: 2
Any suggestions for a different receiver, preferably with surround? Would a sub help, and am I causing more problems by mixing the 4 and 8 ohm speakers? If I did get a 2 channel amp, how much for a surround processor? As you can see, I don't know too much about this stuff yet, I've been living with repairing this one for several years. Do Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, etc. have something suitable in a surround receiver that can handle these speakers? What would the speakers be worth if I sold them to replace them with 8 ohm?
Mandomichael

Russell, Pa Usa

Post Number: 3
Any suggestions for a different receiver, preferably with surround? Would a sub help, and am I causing more problems by mixing the 4 and 8 ohm speakers? If I did get a 2 channel amp, how much for a surround processor? As you can see, I don't know too much about this stuff yet, I've been living with repairing this one for several years. Do Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, etc. have something suitable in a surround receiver that can handle these speakers? What would the speakers be worth if I sold them to replace them with 8 ohm?
Mandomichael

Russell, Pa Usa

Post Number: 4
The receiver has a 4/8 ohm switch and was the only one gauranteed to handle the speakers at the now-closed store. They do sound very good and the receiver drives them to deafening levels with clarity and no noticeable distortion. I would be happy, but the amps burn out every year or so. There was nothing in the fine print. Would adding a sub take some pressure off the amps for the front speakers? Is it a problem mixing the 4 and 8 ohm speakers? Doesn't anyone in the normal consumer make a surround receiver that can push these? If I bought a 2 channel amp, how much for a surround processor that would be decent (comparable to what it sounds like when working)? If I sold or traded the speakers, how can I find out what they are worth? I looked for some, but couldn't find the comparable model to price. These were fairly high end for Cerwin-Vega V- series if memory serves about 8 years ago. They are wood grain with 12 inch bass, 6 mid, and normal tweeter and I think they go down to 40 or 60 Hertz. Pretty low, so I didn't buy a sub and haven't missed it, but I don't play hip-hop or dance music on it. Mostly rock, smooth jazz, acoustic and classical. This is my third attempt at a reply, so if there are multiple I couldn't get them to come up, and my apologies.
Mike

Anonymous

I'm trying to reply. So far every time I do it goes to my email and doesn't show up here. The receiver has a 4/8 ohm switch and was recommended at the store as being the best for the speakers. It sounds good when it is not burning up! Is there a good receiver I can get for less than $500 or so that will do 5.0 or 5.1 decently with these? If a receiver is meant for 7.1 or whatever can it run in 5.1? Please reply if you see this. I think I'm the only one who does.

Russell, Pa Usa

Post Number: 6
I am trying one more reply. Should I dump the amp? How much would a new receiver of similar wattage cost (125 or so). Should I get a stereo receiver with a surround processor instead? How much are the speakers worth in sale or trade? Any recommendations for different speakers (8 ohm) for the amp? I have tried to respond to the above reply with no success about 5 times. It only goes to my email and never shows up on the forum as far as I can tell. What am i doing wrong. Please respond or email. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 55
Download Mozilla Firefox as your browser.

Sell that Sony crap and buy a better receiver.

The Sony really only had 80W or so of power at 0.07% THD, they rate their equipment at a higher distortion rate.

Russell, Pa Usa

Post Number: 7
I got Mozilla and now see my own posts! Thanks for the reply! What ampsor receivers would you look at? I don't have a lot of money right now. Should I get a stereo amp and a surround processor? I would like to use the CV speakers with both if possible. I know NAD is good,but are they having a problem with hiss?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 226
For 4 ohm speakers, I like high-current receivers such as h/k and NAD. If low on cash, the 2003 NAD T742 is being liquidated for US$399 and you can get good deals on h/k at www.etronics.com and also www.ecost.com has the older h/k avr-320 for cheap and they sometimes have conditionned units at low prices.

NAD stereo integrated amps would also be a good choice if you don't want multi-channel HT.

Russell, Pa Usa

Post Number: 9
Peter,
I tried going to the links you gave. Searching in every home audio category as well as in extended searches show neither of these brands at these stores. They must be discontinued. I will search elsewhere. All I can come up with is the standard Sony, Onkyo, Denon, etc. Thanks for the models to look for, though.
Mike

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 230
Michael,

The NAD isn't sold there. I was referring to h/k, shorthand for harman/kardon, which you will find.

http://www.etronics.com/listproducts.asp?order=stk_price_a&catid=4118&store=&Mak e=&Model=&type=&kit_id=&prod_type=&manaf=Harman%2FKardon&image1.x=16&image1.y=13 &cid=1A70D08821414542911A247B236197B5
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us