Help needed....speakers for HK AVR525

Username: Tier0605

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 5
I just purchased a HK AVR525 and I need to buy some speakers - just the front two stereo channel speakers, that will go well with it. being that I am poor, I cannot spend $500 on speakers right now. I can use the speakers from my last home theater system for the surround and the center - its the front 2 speakers that I am looking to buy.
Any suggestions? help is greatly appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 180
I've never heard them, but someone posted a link to Athena AS-F2 at a great price, I think it was yesterday.

Whatever you buy, presumably you'll want to keep going later in that lineup to complete the 5 speaker setup, right? So plan ahead!

I hear the new Klipsch Synergy line is very good quality (e.g the F3 is better than the old Reference RF3).

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 6
Excellent point - thanks for the input! I will look into both those units.
Do you know if the Sonys and the yamahas etc the generic ones you find at best buy or circuit city - are those any good at all?

alexty
Unregistered guest
On a budget I would definitely recommend a decent line of Sony speakers from Circuit City. They are a great bargain for the money. Sony SSKED70/SSKED90-originally @ $700/1000, now they are @$270/$335 per pair. Those are bi-wirable floor standing columns. Chech'em out - but hurry, it's a disontinued line

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 181
I dunno about Sony speakers... I'd go Athena before I went Sony on speakers... And I wouldn't go Athena unless I were on a tight budget.

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the suggestions guys, very much appreciated! By the way, novice that I am, what does bi-wireable mean?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 187
Bi-wireable means there are two sets of binding posts on the speaker joined by a metal plate. One drives the low frequencies and the other the highs (through a crossover). You may remove the metal plate and run two sets of wires from the receiver to the speaker, connecting to both. If you use good gauge wire (14 or 12), it won't make a difference. Do it if you've got the spare wire and it makes you feel good.

BTW, it's strange to have such a tight budget after getting an h/k avr-525 receiver. That's a pretty expensive unit!

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 8
Peter, I got a real deal on the 525. Bought it from an aquaintance for $350 (it is refurbished, but comes with the full harman audio warranty in an unopened new box with all the accessories the original item came with. The price was such that I couldnt pass up on it!). If i didnt get that kind of a deal, I wouldnt have purchased it! By the way, I listened to the sound from the Paradigm Monitor 7 today and that was awesome - just a little too pricey for me...By the way, why do you sound suspicious about the Sony speakers?
Also, any good ideas about where to buy speakers from on the web?

alexty
Unregistered guest
There's a lot of snobbery going on about Sony speakers - truly, they are mostly garbage. However, the SSK line was designed by some Polk engineers. While they are nothing to speak about and don't have the elitist appeal, once again, for the money, especially SSK90ED's are hard to beat. Bi-wiring, by the way, does make the difference. I am using my Polk RTI70's bi-wired with a Harman Kardon 3480 stereo receiver. The mid's are clearer and the low's are tighter when bi-wired with 14ga.

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 9
So does bi-wiring mean, I simply run two sets of wires from the same terminals to the low and hi freq posts (by the way, this means there will be 4 posts right? 1 positive and 1 ground for each freq post?)?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 191
That's correct Harish.

It's quite possible that Sony made a few good speakers within their entire line; but usually the quality is not very high.

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 10
Hmmm - I have decided to spend some money and get either the Paradigm Monitor 7 series (about $700) or the Infinity Primus 360 (about $400). What do you guys think?
The Sony SSK line, I can only find at Circuit City and I know I am paying a lot more for their stocking/tax etc, so it ends up costing close to $400 anyways, while I can find the primus 360 line online for about $325 + shipping.
The Paradigm pair, I think I am only dreaming of, because I cant find a deal online anywhere - all dealers online clearly state they are only authorized to sell in their local market, so I would have to buy them here in town.
The Primus 360 is the leader in the clubhouse right now - what do you guys think?

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 48
I think those monitor 7s are what you really want, and that they would sound incredible with the receiver.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1104450427

Here they are slightly used for $400.

Bronze Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 11
Thanks Kano,

I think I am going to look into purchasing this pair.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us