Another newbie...help with receiver selection...

Anonymous

I dont really know what to look for in a receiver so i was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. I am looking for a receiver for 500 or less. I want at least 5.1. (features?) This will be used for mainly music(loud) and some movies. I was thinking about a home theater package, receiver and speakers, but my friend said no. He gave me this website and said post my question. So my question is what receiver do you think i should get? Thanks for any help. If you want to know more info, ask a question, i dont know what else to say. thanks again

J

hoosierhooch
Unregistered guest
I'm a relative newbie too. I have been researching for a few weeks and using this forum as a resource before I purchase a receiver in the next few weeks.

First of all, you might as well go 7.1 if you're gonna spend ~$500. You might not need it now, but you will in the future. I've also learned that, even though some have personal preferences, you really can't go wrong with Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, or Harman Kardon. These companies have many receivers ranging from your budget (and mine) to the ridiculously expensive.

Check out those company websites and see what's in your range. Being a newbie like me, you don't have a prejudice. So I submit you could get a $500 Yamaha to do whatever you needed it to.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 169
I would suggest that you take a look at Harman Kardon or Marantz if music(loud) is a priority for you. Both these brands sound decidedly better for music at your ($500) price point.

HK AVR230 or AVR330
Marantz SR5400

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 761
I would also add the Elitevsx52. Can be had from Dynaco.com for $539.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 377
Yes to bluestar and elitefans comments. Don't concern yourself with whether a receiver is 5.1,6.1,or 7.1 if you are using for music mostly. Besides if you get 5.1, as I did, you can always add a 2 channel amp to the system to power the other 2 channels since the receivers today will typically have 7.1 input but let's say only 5.1 powered channels. My receiver, Kenwood Sovereign 5700, is an example of this. I think what would be important would be getting the features you like and the proper receiver match up with the speakers you have. Yamaha and Denon tend to be bright where as the Marantz and H/K tend to be warmer, so match them up with the characteristics of the speakers you buy/have. By the way, you don't mention what speakers you have or intend to purchase, that would help in us in picking receivers to fit.

Anonymous

I am eventually going to get new speakers. I am going to look at Harman Kardon and Marantz receivers. I would like many features for sound for DVD's. ( Dolby Digital EX , Dolby Pro-Logic II, DTS (Digital Theater Sound), DTS-ES , THX Select (5.1,6.1 or 7.1) I dont know what the features are for music, if any. As suggested, i will go with the 7.1. I feel once i get the new receiver, i'm going to watch a lot more DVD's with surround sound and what not. I could spend a little more if there is really a receiver that is worth the extra money. I could go up to $600 if it would really be worth it. You guys have helped me out a lot. Let me know other things i should look at. Is it true that the Watts/channel doesnt really matter? I read that on here in another post. If it does matter i would want high watts correct? Thanks again. If you have a receiver/speaker combo let me know. I am going to get speakers in the near future. thanks for all your help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
The receivers I like in this price range would be H/K, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, Kenwood Sovereign, and NAD. As far as watts, obviously more is better, but unfortunately not all receiver manufacturers are forthcoming with their figures. I believe all the receivers I listed above are accurate with their wattage numbers, I would point out that H/K might be listing their numbers on the low side so you can always assume that the H/K will be equal or more powerful than the numbers suggest. There are many combos with those receivers, you would need to set a budget and then we could give opinions. Also, I would suggest that once you purchase the receiver, go and listen to different brands of speakers to hear their characterics preferably with the same line of receiver.

What speakers do you have now?

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
lol, looks like this is day two of my inability to type. Sorry for the typos

Username: Johda

Huntsville, AL USA

Post Number: 2
There is no need to spend that much money. You can purchase a Sony STR-DE895 6.1 reciever for $238 including 3 day shipping from One Call. This is a limited time closeout special. I own two of these and have NO complaints. They sound great. I have A/B compared with Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo. No question it is every bit as good for half the money. There are some subtle differences in sound between these units but they all sound good. My only complaint is that the owner's manual doesn't cover assigning the inputs. This unit has one advantage over all the rest: it has "Digital Cinema Sound" which will reproduce the soundtrack in Sony films faithfully. So what if its last years model.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 153
What do people think of the Denon avr-1905?

It has an on-screen display, does upconversion to component video and has pre-outs on all channels.

I ordered a refurb from ecost.com for US$299 (C$450 taxes & shipping incl.) to drive Axioms for my mother, but it's on backorder and we have to wait.

It's less than J is willing to spend, but anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 876
The AVR1905 has quite weak amps, but it's good for small sub+sat systems or with an external power amp. Good set of features for the price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 402
David...The receiver you mention will not hold a cangle to the ones that have been mentioned previously, the original poster wanted a receiver for music primarily and within a budget of $500. That is what we havee been responding too. I am glad you are happy with your purchase but I would suggest that if you hear no difference between the receivers then you would be in the minority by a long shot. The difference would be night and day in my opinion

Silver Member

Post Number: 403
that's candle....lol

Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 2
I'm in a similar situation, and I settled on the Marantz SR5400 for $439.(with FREE s&h!).

I seriously considered the NAD T743, but at $699. it was a little too rich for me. I also considered waiting until the NAD became available a refurbished model in a few months, but I just could'nt wait.

I found the NAD T742 refurbished for $369. (also FREE s&h!), but concluded that despite the T742's superior sound with music (according to just about every online review), it was a little light on the video side. I also have heard some rumbblings about heat issues with the T742.

I also considered the Yamaha HTR 5650 for $229. & RX-V750 for $423., and had fleeting moments with Onkyo, Denon & Panasonic.

I ultimately concluded that Marantz & NAD were a better class of receivers, with the Yamaha not far behind, and given that, the Marantz was the best deal.

Good luck.

hoosierhooch
Unregistered guest
Where are you finding free s&h?

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 9
I found the Marantz at Cambridge Soundworks https://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=rec_hometheater% 26item%3Dm1sr5400, an authorized Marantz online dealer.

I found the NAD at www.spearitsound.com/nad/T742.asp

By the way, I paid $449., not $439. for the Marantz.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 12
UPDATE: I found an online coupon for www.hifi.com and received 10% off my order! So, I actually $404.01 with FREE s/h for the Marantz SV5400! Wow do I feel good!

http://www.xpcoupons.com/coupon_codes.php/Hifi.com_coupons.htm

Anonymous

DENON 3805 all the way! Had mine for 3 months and it has changed my life - my whites are whiter, my food tastes better and the sun's always shining!

hoosierhooch
Unregistered guest
As soon as I can get one (Denon 3805) for about $700-$750, I'll get one too....if I can hold out long enough
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us