HSU STF-2 or Athena AS-P400

Username: Lytalbayre

Post Number: 6
Which subwoofer? I'm thinking the HSU.

Please give your choice and why. I would also take other recommendations in the 300-400 dollar range.

This will be coupled with Athena Audition series speakers (7.1) and a Harman Kardon AVR 630.

Thanks all.

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 41
HSU, great subs, especially for the price.

Bronze Member
Username: Nm2285

Delaware

Post Number: 42
The Athena is an above average subwoofer and a decent deal, but from what I'm hearing about HSU, I think I'd try it. I'm pretty confident that even if its not spectacular, it'll compete with the AS-P400.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 657
No contest, in my mind. The HSU is a much better sub. I agree with Nm2285 that the Athena is a good sub, but the HSU is in a league of its own in that price range.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1750
Hands down, HSU! I've tried the Athena subs and they are the weak link in the Athena line.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 366
Absolutely right! HSU over Athena without question

Bronze Member
Username: Chuck_m

Cincinnati

Post Number: 11
Mark - I also was ready to buy Hsu, in my case the 10" STF-2. Undoubtedly a great sub.

But SVS has come out with a new speaker. Previously, thier subs were all 12" and larger, and priced a little higher than the Hsu. SVS is generally considered similar to Hsu in both build quality and sound reproduction.

The new SVS, which I suggest you check out, is thier first 10" & is the model PB10-ISD. Unlike many subs, including Hsu, the PB10 is available in 4 finish options. Specs indicate it outperforms the competition. It's available from SVS for $399 until Nov 1 (hurry!), when the price will rise a little to $439.

A lot of info, including reviews, available on SVS website, or do a Google on "PBS10-ISD".

I bought one about 3 hours ago. Have fun!

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 186
Yeah, even this Hsu owner would be looking at that SVS at that price point...

Username: Lytalbayre

Post Number: 10
Sub looks awesome. i wish you all would've found this out before I bought my HSU stf-2. I would return it except I can't cause I got it as a open box for a special price of 299$ (No returns). Works great though. Maybe I'll save up and sell this one in a few months and get a SVS.

So, the HSU is has a response down to 25kz.

Is it true that that new SVS goes down to 18kz? JESUS!

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 188
Mark, an STF-2 for $299 is a great bargain. Yeah it goes down to 25 Hz, but so does my STF-3. Read the rationale for that design; there is currently little content on movies or music below that so it's an appropriate design choice. Don't worry about it. The lowest possible frequency is not as important as how well it is reproduced without harmonic distortion. The Hsu is still is great sub!

Most subs at this price point down go down to 25 Hz and do miss out on movie and music content.

Unregistered guest
If anyone is interested, I have 2 STF-2 subwoofers for sale. One is brand new in the sealed box - selling for $315 + shipping. Another one is a display model, selling for $275 + shipping. Shipping fee varies, but generally runs between $20-30. If interested or would like to discuss, please contact me at dmk@mestnet.org. Local pickup in Michigan (Metro Detroit) is possible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us