Good quality floor speaker for home system

Username: Gatorsactions

North Aurora, IL USA

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I hoping someone could help me with some recommendations on some new floor standing speakers. I am continuing to build home theater setup. I don't have a ton of money to spend but wouuld be willing to put about $800ish into the speakers. I already have a polk center channel, a Velodyne sub and some Mirage rear speakers. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 331
Erik...You will need to match your l/r front speakers to the center channel. If you plan on keeping the center channel then I would buy the matching series floorstanders. If you intend to get rid of this center channel then you would need to purchase the front three of the same variety. There are many options in your budget but we need to know which way you intend to go. Also, you didn't mention what other gear you have in terms of tuner/pre-pro/receiver, etc.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 756
Vols is right. If you like your center then look at the Polk RTi line. The RTi8 and RTi10 are what to look at. If you want to change then that's a different story.

North Aurora, IL USA

Post Number: 2
oh, I never realized that the center and L/R fronts need to match. Why is that? I plan on keeping the Polk center (only a couple of months old) so what Polk floor speakers would you recommend then.

Also I have sony receiver, nothing amazing. Just a decent model. Its a few years old now I think the number is something like 945 or 845...

Silver Member

Post Number: 333
Erik...The reason is that all speakers will have differences in sound, therefore if you have a center channel from Polk and l/r fronts from say Infinity you will notice a non-harmonious sound due to the different characteristics of each speaker. The same goes, albeit to a smaller degree, with the same manufacturer but different lines...ie. Polk Rti, Lsi, Monitor series. Those are all Polks but the sound characteristics will vary quite a bit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 334
What Polk speaker do you have?

North Aurora, IL USA

Post Number: 3
I pretty sure it's the Polk csi3, but it may be the csi1. I paid 199 for it a tweeter.

Chris F
Unregistered guest
Erik, if possible stick to the RTi series assumming your center is the CSi series? Folks in all the audio forums I have been frequenting(audioholics, avsforum, and here) unanimously recommend the RTi series vs. the new Monitor series. The new monitor series is of lower build quality. I could not tell you exactly why, its what the suppossed experts say. :-) The main difference in the Monitor vs. RTi series at first glance is the size of the dirvers in most models. The monitors tend to use 5 and 1/4 and the RTi tends to use 6 and 1/4. This tends to be reflected in the freq response ratings of the speakers. Similar model RTi's have a bit lower response than the Monitors. Its easy to see on crutchfield.com. Perhaps some knowledgeable soul can detail exactly why the RTi build quality is better.
You might get a deal on the RTi's if you have an ABC Warehouse nearby as they should be on clearence.

The RTi's have amazed me. The biggest shock for me in my now mid-fi experience is the sound stage. I heard the word bandied about but until you get them home and set them up its hard to realize(unless you go to some hi-fi shop with a great lisenting room). I was listening to this band Sweet Smoke's album Just a Poke track 2 with this crazy drum solo, you can actually pinpoint the instruments on the stage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 337
Yep, go for the Rti's, they match and are quite nice. There are plenty of stores that carry this line. I would suggest that you have a listen to these speakers prior to purchasing them. I would imagine you will be quite happy, make sure you use a receiver that would be sonically comparable to what you have, preferably the same company (Sony)

Or perhaps you might be able to buy from a dealer with a return policy so that you can demo on your own equipment and room conditions

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
Don't go with the Monitor series, the Rti are far better.

North Aurora, IL USA

Post Number: 4
anyone have any suggestions on where I can get a good deal on the Polk rti speakers? I'm in IL, so I could buy them locally or online if I can get a better deal.

North Aurora, IL USA

Post Number: 5
oh yeah, which ones? rti8 or rti10 just whatever I can afford?

Silver Member

Post Number: 340
Either would be good, which ever you can afford.
www.outpost.com
Rti10 $431, Rti8 $315

Silver Member

Post Number: 341
That's the cheapest I have seen. This is the online site for Fry's

Here's the only store in IL
DOWNERS GROVE, IL
3300 Finley Road
(630) 390-2100

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 42
The Rti10s require more power to drive the included 2 woofers. Also only comes with one driver versus the Rti8's 2 drivers. Unless you plan on adding a power amp to the 10s later on, go with the 8s. One happy owner here... Although not so happy I paid twice that not even a year ago.

North Aurora, IL USA

Post Number: 6
would the rti10s be okay with just the power from my receiver for the time being?

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
Your receiver will have plenty of power, if I remember correctly the Vr5900 puts out 130 x 5 wattage while Polk suggests 20-300 watts for these speakers. Your receiver is all channels driven as well, which means it is capable of providing that power to each channel simultaneously. I have an Acurus 3 x 100 watt amp and my Vr5700 is equally as loud at the same volume setting so I believe the power specs on these Sovereign series receivers are pretty accurate. Also, these speakers are pretty efficient at 89db on 8 Ohms load so they will not provide a challenge to your receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
Sorry Erik, I got your receiver confused with another person. I see you have an older Sony receiver, I don't know the specifics of which receiver you have but Sony, IMO, are not accurate with their specs. You may in fact have a problem driving these speakers at loud volumes. Find out which receiver you have and report back, maybe we can help determine if it will suffice

Silver Member

Post Number: 347
Are you planning on buying a new receiver? Also, one thing you could do would be to purchase the Rti8's and put the remainder towards a receiver or even a 2 channel amp. You could easily pick up a good 2 channel amp for $200 and use it to drive these speakers while the receiver you have can take care of the remainder of your system

North Aurora, IL USA

Post Number: 7
I'll check the model # on my receiver tonight and post the info later.

Eventually I'll probably get a new receiver, but I have no idea when. If my receiver isn't powwerfull enough to driver the speakers are they going to sound bad? If I did uupgrade my receiver, what would you reccomend and what does it cost? Same goes for the 2 channel amp...

By the way, you all have been very helpful. Thanks
Erik

Silver Member

Post Number: 349
Sound bad, no? The problem may lie in the ability for the receiver to power these speakers, if I were a betting man I would say that your receiver will have a hard time given that it's and older receiver from a manufacturer that tends to fudge it's numbers in regards to power ratings. Let's say your receiver states 80 watts x 5 channels, I would guess that in reality probably more along the lines of 30-40 x 5 channels. The Rti10 speakers, as I said earlier, require 20 minimum. So it appears that it could power your speakers but I would not imagine you would be able to get a loud volume out of them, now my idea nad yours may be different when describing loud so I can't say if it would satisfy. I think that purchasing these speakers and then having a listen yourself would give you the sense of satisfaction or the opposite and allow you to make a decision to keep the speakers and upgrade the receiver later or simply return the speakers for now. I think Fry's allows a speaker to be returned within 15 days at your own cost for shipping, not a bad policy but you want to check with them to confirm.

Some receivers that I recommend are Pioneer 1014Tx (have not heard, but heard previous model 914 which would be $300) at $400, Harman Kardon Avr330 probably at $450, Kenwood Vr5700 (refurb at $480, this is the receiver I have). These are the least expensive receivers that I like, the rest are at least $200 more. I would say that in regars to an amplifier you could find one on audiogon.com or ebay.com
There are some amps that you can buy new for $250-300 but unfortunately I don't have much experience with these so I would not be able to help there. I purchased an Acurus 3 x 100 watt amp on ebay for $300. You might try posting a thread in the amp section looking for advice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 350
Sorry for the typos. Some of the people like Berny, J. Vigne, Kegger, Hawk, My Rantz just to name a few have a considerable amount of knowledge in regards to amps, I am sure they would be more than happy to assist in a decision for a 2 channel amp.

North Aurora, IL USA

Post Number: 8
I'm pretty sure this is my receiver, but I'll double check tonight.

Sony STR-DE945

Would you still say not enough power?

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
You can find the H/K Avr 330 for $400 refurbished

Silver Member

Post Number: 352
Does your receiver look like the picture here?

http://www.aaacamera.com/sony_strde945_receivers.html

North Aurora, IL USA

Post Number: 9
yep that's it : )

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
Ok, now take this review with a grain of salt since I have not heard this receiver and I am solely basing my opinion on previous (8+ years ago) experience with Sony receivers and the fact that I don't hold Sony in high regards for the most part. Now having said that, it appears that this receiver shows 110 watts x 5 . I would guess that it is more along the lines of 50 watts per channel perhaps as low as 40 watts, certainly enough to get the job done. Will you be overwhelmed by this receiver, probably not. Will you be happy with it for a decent period of time, probably so. I would go ahead with the purchase and then once you have the system put together you can decide for yourself, I think you can do much better by planning on a receiver upgrade down the road but for now I think you would see a sizable improvement. I hope this helps

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
By the way, I did find a number of reviews from owners of this receiver that hold it in a positive light, but then again you can't talk to these people and see what their knowledge level and experience is with regards to this receiver and what they are comparing it too

North Aurora, IL USA

Post Number: 10
thanks vols. Like I said you've been a great help... I'll post back once I get the new speakers. It could be a couple of weeks yet...

Silver Member

Post Number: 355
No problem, i'll be interested to hear how it works out for you. I think it will be a pleasant suprise. Those are nice speakers and will give you lots of listening enjoyment

Bronze Member

North Aurora, IL USA

Post Number: 11
Well, I got the RTi10's last week and am very happy with them. My receiver seems to have enough power to drive them also, at least for the time being. Anyway, I was able to get a pretty good deal for them on ebay ($800). Thanks for all you advice : )

Username: Don_juan

Post Number: 2
I have a similar setup and would like to know your opinion. I have a Sony STR-DB1070 that I got at a real good price. The speakers I have are a very old satellite speakers from Sony the size of your hand open. Sound is noisy at times but somewhat acceptable. Finally the Subwoofer died and went to a store to get a decent subwoofer. The store guy showed me a floor model (Brand new) that they wanted to move because of new merchandise. These were the Polk RTI10 speakers for $399 for both. So i got them and the sound is amzing. The only thing that is a bit (just a bit out) is the old Sony center speaker (the rear old sony speaker sound fine). I 'm very happy with the sound an bass (houses shakes when i go get close to half way the volume). Anyway to the point and my questions:
1- Should I need to get a subwoofer. This new speaker seem to deliver very good bass
2- Should I change my center speaker with the matching Polk CSI5?
3- A friend of mine was recomending the Infinty DSS750 set which he says sounds awesome but lacks a bit of midrange.
What do guys think?

Username: Don_juan

Post Number: 3
Here is my Amplifier specifications. I think they are OK:
STR-DB1070
100 watts x 6, 20-20,000HZ, 8 OHMS, 0.09%THD in Surround Mode
100 watts x 2, 20-20,000HZ, 8 OHMS, 0.09%THD in Stereo Mode
Pre-Programmed and learning remote with Macro capability
HD Component Video Switching (2 In/ 1 Out)
DolbyA Digital/dtsA/Dolby PrologicA Decoding
5.1 and 6.1 Multi-channel inputs
Dual 32 Bit Digital Signal Processing
Active and Virtual Matrix 6.1 Mode
Digital Cinema SoundTM - Cinema Studio EX A/B/C Modes
Concert Hall Modeling for Enhanced Music Reproduction
Assignable Digital Inputs 3 optical in/ 1 coaxial in
Digital Inputs with 96 kHz / 24 bit capability
Multi-Room/Multi-Source Audio and Video Output
Analog Direct Switch for Complete DSP bypass and pure Stereo Signal
On screen Graphical User Interface
Remote CommanderA Remote Control