Rookie amp/receiver connection question

hoosierhooch
Unregistered guest
For an 7.1 HT setup...

If I have a 5 channel amp (125 x 5, 200 x 2), would I be better off using the amp for the 2 mains and letting the receiver amp power the rest...or vice versa?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 861
With 99% of receivers I suggest you use the amp in 5x mode with the 3 fronts and 2 surrounds and let the receiver amplify the two surround back speakers. Although if you have a Lexicon RV8, Denon 5805 or Yamaha Z9 or something similar, then it might be better to use the amp just for the two fronts in 2x mode.

hoosierhooch
Unregistered guest
I'll most likely end up with a Yamaha rx-v1500 or the 2400 receiver. Given that this will be used for 100% home theater, would I really be accomplishing anything by adding an amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 865
Hard to say. Depends on your speakers, subwoofer, room size, listening levels and so on. Usually a good amp brings a clear improvement to most systems.

hoosierhooch
Unregistered guest
The room is less than 4500 cubic feet. I'll have Axioms all around (either M60 or M80 mains). I haven't shopped for subs yet but it'll be something in $4-500 range. Listening levels? Just a family of 4 watching movies...none of us are hearing impaired. :-) I know it wouldn't hurt, just wondering if it's worth the extra few hundred for an amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 866
I think you'll be fine without. Use the money for a better sub and/or food, they'll be more usefull.

hoosierhooch
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your input. I like when you guys save me money.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us