Need help with a reciever please

Jagger
Unregistered guest
My cousin just gave me his old home theater system. Polk rt 1000 powered towered speakers, polk center channel, Harmon Kardon 4000 amplifier. The problem is that is now ex-wife took the reciever and the bookshelf speakers he was using for the rear channels. I know what speakers i am going to get but i am not sure what kind of reciever i should get to incorperate it all. I would like a reciever that will still be somewhat usable in a couple years but i know thats not always the case. I would like to stay under 1500 dollars and I have been leaning towards the sherwood recievers. Any help would be great thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 857
The Sherwood R865/R965 have excellent sound quality and good set of features. Sherwood just recently added an auto-eq mic which is also available for current 865/965 owners, and with no cost at all (shame on you Denon). I would also consider the new Marantz SR8500 which should have great sound, USB for WMV, 4 component inputs and DVI switching for future 'resistance'.

Also NAD, Rotel, Arcam, Pioneer Elite and Harman Kardon are worth a look or two.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 733
Landroval is on target with his comments. My only possible concern with the Sherwood is that it may be a bit bright for the Polks. I have not heard the new Sherwoods but last months issue of Home Theater reviewed it along with the Elite55, H/K 630 and Denon 3805 and from what I could read between the lines it seemed like it was very powerful but a tad bright. Sherwood is a brand that has made some good receivers in the last 15 years but for whatever reason is very poor in the marketing area. They are impossible to find in my area. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us