The best player under 450$.

Username: Gticehockey

Post Number: 9
I'm getting rid of my 200$ home theater in a box and putting together a nicer one. So far I have a H/K 630 reciever with nice Infinity speakers. I was wondering what the best SACD, DVD-A player would be. Would prefer to have it also play DVD vcd cdr and all that stuff to but that doesnt look possible. I dont really want to spend more then 450 on the player. Any suggestions

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 65
George, You are a man after my own heart here.

I've been looking for exactly the same thing. Quality universal players at a low price are still pretty rare. The two I've been looking at are the new Yamaha S1500 and the older Elite DV-45A. Both are sold at around $400. You can also include the Marantz 6400 if you want to spend a little more at around $500.

My problem is I keep looking at the new Denon DVD-2910, which no dealer in my area seems to have in stock yet. This is a little pricey at $650, though.

I'm probably going to break down and go for the new Yamaha model. It doesn't have Burr Brown DAC's like the Elite does, but it does have a better video performance. According to the specs, I don't think the audio will be that lacking, either:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/DVD/DVDS1500.htm

Username: Mercian

Post Number: 1
I've used both the new S1500 and the Elite, would recommend going with the Yamaha.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 212
Why? (Just for curiosity)

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1713
for the price you can get the pioneer 563a at "$100"
it does everthing you are asking.

I have both the 563a and a denon 2200.
the denon 2200 is not much better if any then the pioneer
but the pioneer plays all the media the denon won't.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 361
kegger....isn't that just a dvd/cd player and not sacd/dvd-a?

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 291
vols,

-- NOPE -- I have it too. It does dvd, cd, dvd-a, sacd, vcd, dts, dd....for the price it can't be beat.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1728
nope it's an awsome and inexpensive universal player!

plays them all, believe me i'm still shocked at
this thing for this price.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 364
cool, thanks for the info guys

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 150
Hmmm. Seems difficult to get these days. etronics.com no longer carries it but has the Pioneer DV-578A-S for $135.

Can you comment on this thread?

http://www.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1290

Does it mean that the Pioneer isn't playing true SACD, but rather downgraded to CD quality? I'm confused...

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 226
Hi Peter,

That thread is a long and winding road. Any particular issues you'd like to explore?

It is true that recording quality varies. On some DVD-A source bitrate is stated, but I think seldom on SACDs. Best is to check reviews, for instance "Rate your hi-rez disc here" on this forum.

Regarding the Pioneer players: I am happy with mine, but also aware that it is a first step for me to explore hi-rez. I would never dare comparing it with high-end gear.

I belive there are some errors in that thread on technical issues. The following are my qualified guessings:

I believe DV-563A has 3 Burr Brown DACs, each handling 2 DSD channels. So it can do and does SACD. But with Bass management on (and I suspect for all 5.1 setups) DSD is downconverted to 88.2KHz/24 bits per channel. The latter is applied regardless settings in DV-578A, whose DACs are cheaper, non-DSD Burr Brown.

My statements is a synthesis of info I obtained in modders' forum in Audiocircle.com, Burr Brown website and British magazine HiFi News.

Hasta Pronto
AL

housecat
Unregistered guest
Kegger, "the pioneer plays all the media the denon won't" I thought the Denon 2200 was a universal player. Are you saying that it does not play "all" formats it claims?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 154
Thanks Arnold,

I think I understand the downconversion as you explain it. Since I can't live without my sub for music, how does it sound in downconverted mode? The 88.2/24 specs are still much better than CD, so it must sound fine. Can you tell a difference easily?

In any case, that model is no longer easy to buy. I wonder how the Pioneer that replaces compares.

Many thanks!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1736
peter: supposably the pioneer that replaces it is not that hot.

the way you get around down conversion and still use your sub
is to use bass management in your reciever.

also it only coverts if you mess with the settings.

if you set the player to all speakers large with sub on then no
downconversion! and you have sub with material that has a sub track!

_______________________________________-

housecat: the denon has trouble with copied media
mainly dvd copied media, where the pioneer works great!

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 155
Thanks Kegger,

My h/k avr-325 doesn't do bass management on 7.1 analog input, and I do need that bass on the sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us