Music Hall CD25 or the modified ones ??

Rashed
Unregistered guest
I am thinking about buying Music Hall CD25. But I am also thinking about should I buy the base unit or should I get the modified ones (level 1 or 2) I read somewhere that Hawk highly recommended the CD25. Question is can you compare it w/NAD 542. Also comparison between base unit and the modified ones. I mainly listen to Jazz, Indian classical and World some rock(Dylan, Van Morrison). Also any reliable places to buy the Music Hall or the NAD. Budget is $500 but would be flexible to go upto $700, if it makes a huge difference. Thanks in advance.

balgursac
Unregistered guest
Don't do it! I bought a Music Hall CD25 and then sent it out for Level 2 mods and an improved clock. Still dead, dead, dead with over 70 hours burn-in and my Senn 650/zu combo. Flat and very dry, unlike my Jolida and Rega Planet 2K. I really wanted to like this player because it looks gorgeous but damn, $4K in mods later and it's extremely sterile.

Rashed
Unregistered guest
Thx for the response. What do you think about the Cambridge Audio 640C. Do you have any experience between 640C, Music Hall CD25 and Arcam 73T. Thanks for your help!!

pb
Unregistered guest
who did your mods balgurac? 6-moons says mods of cd-25 blow the competition away.

Michael Poteat
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I am an unregistered guest although I read these forums frequently. I have an unmodified Music Hall CD 25. It replaced a Cambridge Audio 500SE which went to live upstairs. The CD 25 is paired with a Cambridge Audio Pre-amp (NAD C162 should be here soon) and I am using a NAD C272 power amp. I also have a Pioneer Elite DV-45A. Speakers are 7-year old Vandersteen 2CE's.

I think the CD 25 is a step up from the Cambridge Audio. I did consider the 640C but based on reviews went with the Music Hall. I am listening to Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers as I type this (Blue Note 4003) and I think the sound is excellent. A few SCAD discs played on the Pioneer sound better than CDs played on the CD 25 but the difference is relatively small.

My opinion only of course.

Bronze Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 94
I believe the music hall and the nad use the same op amps bb 2134 and the same d/a converter... I know the nad does hdcd, not sure about the music hall.. The op amps and the d/a don't explain everything but it is what it is..

Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 10
Music hall is also HDCD. CD-25 spin off's abound though with the Usher and Onix units both costing less. Check them out and spend the difference on mod's
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us