HSU or SVS in Canada

Username: Wasitak

Post Number: 1
Is there anyone who sells SVS or HSU subs in Canada, preferably in the Toronto area so I could audition it and/or get a full refund. None of the custom firms here seem to know about them

Anonymous

John, whereaboots are ya in Canada? if you're in Toronto, pls read this thread re. HSU

http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=964&highlight=canada+audition

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 130
The Canadian distributor is www.hi-fidelity.com and you may contact them for a list of retailers (and they can ship you one directly).

See also http://www.homedigitalav.com/HSUSubs.html as the previous poster mentionned.

Username: Wasitak

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the quick response! I'll contact these guys to see if I can hear the subs. Is there an SVS dealer too?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 131
Not to my knowledge. That's why I bought a Hsu.

Username: Van

Post Number: 1
I got the HSU STF-2 10" in Toronto from these guys:

http://www.electronicsforless.ca/products/ (scroll down)

They have a store in markham and i didnt pay the web price ;)

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 286
Cool! Thanks for the info! This thread turns up on google, so I'm sure the info will find its way to help others.

Peter

barosborough
Unregistered guest
Which brand would match better with Paradigm. SVS or HSU?

Thanks

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 288
I have never auditionned a SVS since they are not easily available in Canada (Hsu are more more cost-effective here after shipping and duties on SVS). Having said that, a good sub doesn't match with a brand of speakers; it matches with all of them. There's no timbre matching to worry about, such as matching a center speaker to mains.

barosborough
Unregistered guest
Thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks Peter.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 289
Just buy a good one! :-)

Yeah, that's stupid advice...

But it's easier to get satisfactory results for HT than it is for movies. The LFE contents doesn't sound musical anyway, so any loud boom is fine. For music, you wnat a clean tight response. I had auditionned a 12 inch Magnat and a 10-inch Paradigm PDR-10 in my home. Both added something to the music, but nothing to get too excited about. I ordered the Hsu without hearing it first on a gamble, and boy does it add somthing to music! The kick drum on The Eagles' Hell Freezes Over is out of the world lifelike. I'm very happy with it for music, and it shakes the house on movies as well.

I'm sure a good pick from SVS would be as good, but they are more expensive here. Are you from Canada? I could find a thread on another forum where a Canadian bought a SVS and reported his total cost...

Anonymous

Van Mog:

Just how much less did you pay from the web price.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 316
> Van Mog:
>
> Just how much less did you pay from the web price.

Good question! :-)

Dracore
Unregistered guest
Would that Canadian who reported the total cost be me? :-) Purchased a PB10-ISD and had it shipped to Richmond Hill, Ontario

Bronze Member
Username: Reggie_lives

Post Number: 25
Peter,

Just out of curiosity, which sub did you get?

I'm thinking of getting the STF-1. Do you think that will fill my 14x17 room, or should I spend the extra $150 for the STF-2? (399 vs 549 $CDN).

I'm a college student on a budget, so I'm leaning towards the STF-1.

RayT
Unregistered guest
Grant

Go for the STF-2, the difference will be quite noticeable.

rayt
Unregistered guest
I've heard some people get awesome quoted prices from electronicsforless.ca (significantly less than MSRP)

....if you are in Canada, give them a call.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 327
Sorry, I've been away...

Dracore, the thread was on www.quebecaudio.com

Grant, I have a STF-3. The STF-2 has the same low end extension and I must say it's quite impressive. I'd try to swing the extra for a STF-2 since it will prevent an upgrade a year later. :-)

But I'm sure you'd wouldn't be unhappy with a STF-1!

Unregistered guest
This is weird - My name is also "Van Mog"

Would like to hear from my namesake or I'd like to get his email so I can write him

Email to "vmog@execpc.com" or "van@toolrite.com"

I have never even heard of anyone with the same name ;^)

Username: Van

Post Number: 2
Sorry for the delay...I saved about twenty per cent off the retail price. I love my HSU! It kicks ***!

Here's the details, its 'Electronics For Less', 410 Denison at the corner of Victoria Park...weird little store tucked in behind a golf clearence store. (905) 944-9339. The sales guys there are pretty cool.

I was there on the weekend. The guy there, cameron i think, told me that the VTF-2 is their best seller so far, and that because of 'his price', he sold five last saturday. lol

Nice to hear that there's another V Mog out there!

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 422
20% off! Wow!
I wonder if they'd ship to Quebec...

Bug
Unregistered guest
Anyone here heard the difference between the STF-2 versus the VTF-2 Mk2? Is it worth the price diff?

Bronze Member
Username: Vgtvidz

Post Number: 31
I was about to go with a Klipsch RSW-12 because I can get for 650$ CDN, but I'm wondering what would be better between Klipsch and HSU, if HSU is a lot better, it might be a good thing to get one of those!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
actualy, I made a small mistake, I can get the RW-12, not the RSW-12

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 447
I have only heard the RW-10 in a store setting (not the best environment) and I have a Hsu STF-3. That's actually a very good price for the RW-12; I wonder if they are making room for the new Sub-12 model (Synergy line, but might be better than the RW-12).

Anyway, what I heard from the RW-10 does not compare to the Hsu STF-3. I've never heard the RW-12. My story is archived here:

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?1/75628

My gut feeling is that the much more expensive RSW line compares well with Hsu, but not the RW series. I hope this helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Hey Peter, would you go with the VTF-2 MK2 or the STF-2, I'll place it in a room that is about 15 by 15 (my bedroom), I got a Klipsch RW-8 and I dont think its powerfull enough when I listen to some electronic music (Drum&Bass or Trance), also I'm probably going to move from my parents house in 2-3 years so of course, I'd like to keep this sub for a while and be sure its going to be nice in my futur house!

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 458
Personnaly, I don't see the point of variable tuning with the Maximum output mode only goes to 32 Hz. I think there's a tremendous difference between 32 and 25 Hz. You'd end up using the VTF on max extension mode, so might as well save $100 and get the STF.

However, if your music doesn't have the very low frequencies, you might appreciate the variable tuning. Not much help am I?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Lol, well some of my music have very low frequencies, the lower it can go, the better it will be, so im not sure which one I should pickup... By the way, I found this thread on HSU forum, we're supposed to have a retailer here at montreal
http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 459
It's good about the Montreal dealer. Hopefully they can discount a bit as well.

If your music has low lows, go for the STF-2 or upgrade to the STF-3 (same frequency response but more volume).

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 789
From what I hear HSU makes a very nice sub, but compared to the SVS dual driver subs, there is no comparison. It's left.......way...........way.......way in the dust.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 461
Paul, SVS doesn't sell in Canada. They cost an arm and a leg here, whereas Hsu are similarly price than in the US.

And... How do you know if you haven't heard an actual Hsu sub? sigh.

Silver Member

Post Number: 800
I suggest you do your homework. What can you expect for canada anyway.......

....at least you have free healthcare.

LOL

j/k

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 462
What a jerk...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
at least we dont have Bush =)

but yeah, Peter, I'm still going to figure how much I want to pay, I also need a new receiver... I'd have to find someone that works for Futurshop, I could get a big discount on the HK AVR series.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 463
Here's what I recommend to Canadian buyers for receivers... they are way overpriced in Canada. Go to www.ecost.com or www.etronics.com and order from them. You'll get a total price that includes shipping to your door, applicable duties if any, as well as GST. There will be no extra charges when delivered by Canada post; no surprises.

They are www.borderfree.com affiliated sites.

I bought a factory-refurb h/k avr-325 over a year ago for a little over C$600 (total) and I'm very happy with it (it retailed fot C$1300 plus taxes at Future Shop).

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 464
For example...

h/k avr-235:

etronics.com: US$329.95 -> C$546.51 (total, shipped)
ecost.com: US$336.00 -> C$537.68 (total, shipped)
Future Shop: C$899.99 -> C$1035 (after taxes)

It's worth the price difference to deal with warranty issues. Heck, you could get two of them!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Wow awesome, thanks dude! I was looking at the AVR-325 or AVR-225, not a big difference between the 2 receivers, maybe you can tell me why I should go with the AVR-325 over the 225
Thanks again!

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 465
You mean 235 vs 335? The 225 and 235 are two years-old now... But the 325 was built like a tank (40 lbs!)

From what I can tell, the 325 adds two digital inputs (one extra optical and one extra coax), multi-zone capability and an added smaller zone II remote control, as well as automatic EzSet calibration setup. If you don't plan on using the second zone (I don't on mine) and have enough inputs with the 225, then there is little to gain by getting the 335 over the 235. The automatic calibration on the 335 looks pretty cool and complete, but you can reach good results without it too. It's strange but the 235 actually weighs more then the 335! (Unless that is a mistake on the web pages)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Oups yeah you're right, I' looking at the AVR-235, not the 225, I dont think im going to use all the "extra-features" and the 335 is barely more powerfull, im pretty sure the AVR-235 is going to be good enough for my speakers. Thanks for all the help!!
Merci encore =)

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 466
Bienvenue !

(Yup, only 0.4 dB difference between 50W and 55W)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Hey guys, I'm back from a store downtown Montreal and they sell brands such as Rotel/B&W/Paradigm and I asked the guy if he knew anything about HSU subwoofer, he claims HSU wanted them to distribute their subs but they refused to becasue they were very poorly made, is it true?? what's the build quality, should I trust him? I'm not sure if I should because he said HK was pretty shitty now, he almost said Sony/JVC/etc were almost as good as HK, anyway, let's just see what you think about this

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 493
well, my Hsu blows the doors off everything else I heard. Seems solid to me.

Sounds like hot air to me...

Silver Member

Post Number: 838
I just finishing researching subs, and pretty much everything that I've found has been positive.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 547
VGT Vidz, send me your email please!

You sent me a PM but there's no valid email address and you don't accept PMs on this forum so i can't reply...

Peter

Superteck
Unregistered guest
Just wanted to let folks here know that we are a fully authorized HSU retailer in Montreal. We have a professionally calibrated showroom which includes an HSU STF-2 and an HSU VTF-3 MK2. By visiting our showroom, local customers have the opportunity of hearing/feeling an HSU subwoofer before making any purchase decision.

Please feel free to contact us: sales at superteck dot com (replace "at" with "@" and "dot" with ".") or visit our thread over at the HSU forums: http://hsuresearch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 828
That's great! Thanks!

I may just hit you up for an STF-2 for my mother...

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 166
Being an owner of a VTF-mk2, I can say that these subs are well made. A post a while back said that a dealer did not want to sell them because they were supposedly poorly made!!!!! Probabaly a comment of frustartion because maybe he wanted to sell them but did not get the contract! I have visited almost all shops in Montreal and some of them should NOT be open for business! I went to one on St-Catherine street recently that basically told me I was foolish to own NAD products because dealers make so much money on them due to cheap quality. He wanted me to buy Rotel stating they were the best!!!

Any dealer that acts or talks like this should be dealt with extreme caution! There are many really high end shops that sell NAD and Cambridge products and some I visited, had many incredible comments about NAD. One even compared the 272 to a 3000$ Tube amp and I thought the NAD was better especially in the bass department.

I went to one dealer that DID know about HSU and was curious to hear more from me and my comments. He said that 9 times out of 10 if a company is willing to invest all of its time in only one item (subs in this case), then it is probably a lot better than most speaker companies as many of them do not invest much time in developing a sub since it is relatively easier to contract an outside source to build them.

By the way Peter, your mother is into subs?? Cool!

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 167
Forgot to mention that after re-reading the post of May 10, it seems to me that this is the same dealer I went to in downtown Montreal! I would never buy from someone like that. Everything they do not sell is considered crap! This is a sign of a dealer who knows nothing about audio or customers needs. Sounds like someone going to a GM dealer and th salesman tells you a Honda or Toyota is no better than their products. Don't see them in Formula 1 do you?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Danman, from what I know, they're at Dollar-Des-Ormaux or however you spell that, lol, which is not downtown. Do you know exactly where they were located?

Superteck
Unregistered guest
Danman,

you are definitely confused about the us. We are not the dealer you are referring to in Downtown Montreal. We are located in Dollard-des-ormeaux as VGT Vidz has pointed out. We are the only authorized HSU retailer in the Montreal area.

Furthermore, we would never tell a customer a certain product is crap as a consequence of the profit margin. We try to be as honest as possible with all of our customers. See the positive reviews we've gotten over at the HSU forums for yourself: http://hsuresearch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 832
We are conveniently located in the greater Montreal area with showrooms in central Montreal and the West Island.

Can you provide the addresses? Or is it by appointment only?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Danman, that dealer on Ste-Catherine, is he located near the Simons/Paramount/etc...?? because if it's the case, he talked against HK & HSU when I visited the store. He wanted me to buy the Rotel RSX-1067 which I can't afford, I was like : hey ohh dude, wake up, I'm a student, I can't buy a 3k$ receiver (or whatever the price was). Anyway, I really didnt like the way he acted and I will never go back.

Between, the guys at Supertek are really helpful, I emailed them a couple of times and they always answered my questions within 24 hours. Everytime, I had a clear answer.

HTFUN
Unregistered guest
I'm in the same SVS or HSU dilemna as many of you have been in. As we know, SVS does not have a distributor in Canada but HSU does. I'm looking at either the SVS PB10-ISD or the STF-2. My questions:

1)Are these two fair to compare or is there another HSU sub that more closely resembles the specs of the PB10-ISD

2) With a bit of help from the people at SVS, I figured out it would be about $650 CDN (before tax) to get a PB10-ISD up here. The STF-2 through electronics for less is listed at $549, although it apeears as Van Mog pointed out earlier, I may be able to purchase the STF-2 for lower than the list price. So the STF-2 would be a little less expensive (probably after all is said and done, about $100 CDN). Given the prices above, which would you choose?

Thanks for the input, you guys are helpful

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 169
SUPERTECK..........I have no idea why you thought I was talking about you because I was not and never been to your store! I ordered my sub through the dealer HSU reccommended to me on their web-site. I have no idea where you are situated in Montreal but would like to know so I could come and visit next time I am in town.

VGT.....you have it right and to not cause a stir, I will not mention the name of the store.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 171
HTFUN........The HSU is a better deal but I have never heard SVS subs before and I imagine they are equally great from all the positive reviews. The choice is yours and I know it is a hard one.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 833
HTFUN, also service and warranty issues will be easier if you buy a Hsu within Canada.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 173
Right on!

HTFUN
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys. Tough choice indeed, but I'm not sure there is a wrong or bad choice!! You are probably right about the warrenty issues. Anybody here had to deal with warrenty issues with their HSU in Canada? If so, was it handled well?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 835
I unpacked my Hsu to find scratches on it. The distributor offered me a discount, which I accepted. But that would have worked the same had I bought it from the US as well. I'm more concerned about having to ship a unit back to the US and deal with duties and brokerage. I do that enough at work to know what pain it is, and what extra costs are associated with it.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 836
I think it worth to buy a SVS from the US if you want a higher-end (more expensive) model with no competing Hsu. For those in Hsu's price range, it's more cost effective to get a Hsu.

If the SVS and Hsu models cost the same in the US, the SVS will end up costing $100 or more extra here. Then maybe you could afford the next model up the Hsu series indeed (VTF-3 instead of STF-3; STF-3 instead of STF-2).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1318
Peter couldnt be more correct.....

If you're shopping in the under <$900 range, HSU and SVS are comperable.(SVS is better though)

However if you want more performance, SVS has several subs not far above that $$range that will blow the 'little' siblings away.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 861
(SVS is better though)

Not that to my knowlegde, Paul has never heard a Hsu.

;-)

HTFUN
Unregistered guest
I am new to this hobby, but so far I cannot believe the amount of people that have such strong opinions on products they havn't even heard before. I guess it is because sound is quite subjective, depending on on what the listener prefers. Don't get me wrong Paul becaue I do appreciate your input, but in my mind, you should probably listen to a Hsu before you make such strong opinions about which is better.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 180
I have listened to both and liked them both but chose the HSU because it was easier to buy in Canada. I did not notice any big difference between them at all. Actually one that I recently tried was the new SW300 by Wharefdale and was blown away as well! It has a remote and a big 12" woofer that is made of a new type of Kevlar and a BASH amp with 300 watts and 119db spl!

I think either one will satisfy you as they are all both very musical and theatrical for home cinema.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us