Speaker suggestions for NAD 320BEE

PK
Unregistered guest
Hi, I'm new with this hi-fi know-how, but I'm considering a NAD 320BEE and I'm not sure what speakers would work best. I've been told the Epos ELS-3 speakers are a good investment, but would bookshelf speakers do justice to this amp? Any other suggestions. Please keep in mind that I'm on a fairly strict budget. Looking for the "worst of the best."

OnimushaLord
Unregistered guest
The Monitor Audio bronze B2 are more musical than the ELS3 IMO, or u can go for the Epos M5, a step up from its smaller brethen ;)

Bronze Member
Username: Ray

Post Number: 11
I just bought the same Amp, along with NAD C521BEE CD player and PSB Image 4T floorstanding speakers. The speakers are a very good combination with NAD and interestingly they are owned by the same company (Lenbrook...) as well.

PK
Unregistered guest
The PSB Image 4t looks like it's beyond my price range. The Monitor Audio bronze B2 sound like they're really something based on the reviews I've read, but the same can be said about the Epos ELS3s. Oni, why would you say the B2s sound more "musical?"

Silver Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 131
I'll second the Monitor Audio B2's with that particular integrated. Very nice sounding match. The 320BEE can really make the bottom end of the B2's sing. The Mid's and High's are very true to life. I'm still waiting for my Nakamichi receiver to die so I can buy this exact integrated. My patience is running out. LOL

Username: Winterversion

Bloomington, IN USA

Post Number: 1
Really? What makes them so much better than the Epos Els3? I've read so many great reviews for them too.

OnimushaLord
Unregistered guest
The ELS3 has very neutral midband and sweet highs, particularly for female vocals, but bass extension while acceptable for a compact standmount, just don't cut the cake as in the MAB2. The overall bass integration with mids/highs are rather seamless with the B2. Saying this as a dealer in my place stock both the MA/Epos speakers and Creek amps I heard them with :-)
Furthermore, the Epos are a little harder to drive with a 4ohm impedance while the B2s are 6ohms. The Epos are rear-ported, placement can be tricky in smaller rooms. The B2 despite being front-ported easily generates more quality + quantity in terms of bass. The ELS3 sounds a little cleaner(as it uses a minimalist Xover), though not really obvious but the B2s are simply more musical to my ears for most types of music...ditto ;)
The ELS3 are more affordable though and has a very neutral sound cf to the CBM-170(Ascend). It's also rated a category C by stereophile, aka commendable for its modest price. However, for sound comparison, I would pit the more accomplished Epos M5 against the B2 as the M5s are also ridiculously adept for musical enjoyment.

Cheers

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 299
jeff....I am sure a little water would do the trick!
:-) just kidding

Silver Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 132
OL, you are correct about the M5's. The price difference is considerable and not really a fair comparison. The M5's are also harder to drive and might give the 320BEE a hard time at high volumes.

vols, you don't know how many times I've thought about it. LOL

Anonymous

Jeff,

Why not just throw it on ebay etc. and put the funds towards the NAD?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 651
My favorite speaker for the "bee" are the NHT SB-3s, which have an MSRP of $600/pair, but can be had for around $475. Stereophile made it their reference bookshelf speaker a couple of years back--it is very smooth, revealing speaker, with superb detail and good bass extension, but without any top end harshness. Makes a fabulous combo with the "bee."

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
jeff....I know the feeling, sometimes it's hard to justify the expense especially to the spouse :-). The look I got when I told her I wanted to spend $2k on new equipment was priceless.
Although, the benefit would be immense. I am fortunate that my wife agreed and now she is enamored at the quality difference. Made my request to spend $300 on a new cd player a bit easier to swallow. Good luck!

Username: Quadstar

Post Number: 6
How about the dynaudio 42 with the NAD c320 bee?

Silver Member

Post Number: 318
I have not heard this combo personally but I would imagine it would work nicely.

Bronze Member
Username: Sulfur

Post Number: 49
Last year I auditioned the C370 (2x120W) with Dyn 52SE and it is awesome! And I think in general NAD & Dyns are a great match.

As for C320BEE & Dyn 42, humm...the Bjorn Erik Edvardsen stuff is good, but I'll leave it to you to decide if the 2x50W BEE has enough juice to drive the power hungry Dyns.

In other words, my definition of "how much power is enough" may be different than yours. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 104
I would go to MA Bronze 2 or AE Evo1

Bronze Member
Username: Spl

Post Number: 23
NAD and Dyns are a great match indeed. I was thinking of setting up an all audio system and my choice and my budget led to NAD C352CT integrated amp + NAD C542 cd player + Dynaudio Audience 52. However, I decided to just upgrade my home theater.

I've seen recommendations in What HiFi for NAD C352CT + Dynaudio or Quad combinations also.

I also just bought my sister a system for her bookstore, and it is a NAD C320BEE + NAD C542 + Monitor Audio B2 and it is a great combination. If my budget couldn't afford the Dyns, I would certainly go with the B2.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us