Please help with your recomendations...->

Username: Maxim

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,
My name is Max and I would like to comment that this forum is a great help to people like me and looks like a lot of fun for your current members. I would like ask for your suggestions as it appears many of you have helped in similar situations. Here is my dilemma: I am trying to find a 'better' receiver for my not-so-hot existing set up to mainly watch the DVD's in my medium size room: Bose cubes (5) and two bass modules (not AC powered), Sony DVD, and Sony TV (a year old XBR capable of 1081). I also have some components by Pioneer, but I do not believe this matters for my cause.
What I am looking for is to replace my current receiver with something that will increase my enjoyment watching DVD's. My candidates for one are as following:

Yamaha HTR - 5790 ($520)
Yamaha RX V-3300 ($599)
Sony STR-DA3000 ($499)

I've spend some time going over previous posts and also called a few places to get info. I know that Denon 3805 can be had (refurbished) at $699, but at the same time, when compared with Sony ES model I could not hear any difference when both receivers were hidden. Yamaha 3300 is a discontinued model, but it appears to be a bargain for such a high end receiver for half of its retail ($1200). And finally, Yamaha 5790 comes with an auto set up feature and all the latest features. However, it is recommended as a 'lower end' in comparison to other receivers mentioned here. Any way, I was thinking of getting SONY 3000ES and may be a newer sub for under $200 (please let me know of your favorites). I would greatly appreciate anyone's input and in turn, I hope one day to contribute on this forum as well.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 824
I think the main problem with your system is the very bad sounding Bose speaker system. Upgrading your receiver will not help if you dont get better speakers also.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I think we need more information than you have "bad sound". Try to explain what you're hearing and we can give better advice.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 149
Yes, I agree. The speakers will not reveal the vast majority of improvement in your receiver upgrade.

As far as your list goes, there are better choices in the $500-$700 dollar range.

Username: Maxim

Post Number: 2
I agree that speakers not top notch. What I would like to get improved is the detail of the sound. For example which receiver would afford me a more precise effect when the glass is breaking during a movie scene.
Bleustar, which other receivers should I consider in the range of $$500-$600?
Thanks to all for such prompt response.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us