NAD Firmware Update!

Bronze Member
Username: Mitchbd

Post Number: 25
Hello all. There has been some chat about firmware upgrades for all NAD T**3 AV receivers. I asked NAD a few days ago what the current version for a T763 is, and here is the response that was given:

"The latest firmware version for the T763 is Version 2.05. I have attached a document that will advise you what the upgrades entail."

The document he sent contained the following - and covers ALL T**3 receivers.

NAD Txx3 V2.xx Operating System improvements over V1.xx

· Most temporary messages on the VFD can now also be displayed on the OSD.

· A/V Presets can be renamed.

· 5 fixed built in A/V Presets (Preset 6 - 10) which contain common speaker configurations.

· Tuner status is now shown on the OSD. This includes TUNED, STEREO, and FM MUTE icons, frequency, preset name, RDS name, preset number. On T163/T763/T773 this also includes the RDS radiotext.

· Direct frequency entry for tuner. (Put the HTR 2 in TUNER mode to use this feature.)

· New menu called ZONE SETTINGS. This menu has the following new options:
o POWER STATE - Allows you to power on or off the second zone without using the ZR2.
o INPUT - Allows you to change the input for the second zone without using the ZR2.
o VOLUME CTRL - Allows you to disable the volume control for the second zone.
o LEVEL - Used to set the fixed level output if volume control is disabled, or to adjust the current volume.
o ZONE SPEAKER - Can be used to turn on the speaker relays with the second zone even if the main zone is turned off. This allows you to use the internal power amp for the second zone.

· ENHANCED STEREO modes are now fully user configurable. You can choose which speakers you want on.

· Discrete IR commands were added for each surround mode.

· Improved functionality of sleep timer (first query indicates status).

· Add ENHANCED BASS option to SPEAKER SETTINGS screen. This option will cause low frequencies to be sent to the sub woofer even when the speaker is set to LARGE.

· If the ROM is changed on the DSP board, v2.00 also adds ProLogic IIx support.

There you have it!

Silver Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 130
QC at NAD sucks. Until they get new management that cares more for the end product and consumer than for their bottom line, I will never buy a NAD A/V receiver. Can't talk me into it neither.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Darn... I was going to try to! ;)

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Post Number: 44
Jeff you right. Me too I was wandering how this issue escaped and passed from the QC dept.

Bronze Member
Username: Xvoid

Post Number: 19
A new version of the NAD RS232 PC Control software is available for download from the NAD website for T163, T763 and T773 Receivers. I assume this one is now fully compatable with the new firmware 2.xx

Hopefully getting my T763 back tomorrow, after having it for 3 weeks and then not having it for a month as it was faulty and took that long to get repaired! So much for buying my receiver from an authorised dealer.

NAD definitely have a problem with after sales service - hiss is the least of their problems.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 105
Gentlemen, Brad Mitchell posts the new changes to the software version of the Nad T763 and all of a sudden several of you have to highjack the thread and repeat your complaints about NAD. I don't think that is appropriate. You obviously have complaints and I am not commenting on your complaints. There is an entire 200 + thread that you have each posted in. You could start a new thread entitled "I Hate NAD". Why do you feel the need to highjack every single thread that discusses NAD? When posters constantly pump one brand there is the obvious concern that the poster may be a shill. When posters constantly bash one brand there is that same concern, especially when those posters go out of their way to state their message even when it is off topic.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Thanks Jonathan. I was thinking the same thing. I was merely trying to do all owners a service by letting them know what the current version is. I did that because it is especially hard to get that info out of NAD themselves, and there were numerous posts on this site asking what the current version was. I tried asking THREE dealers in different cities, and none of them new of the update until I sent them the response I received from NAD.

As stated, gentlemen, my intent was not to start another NAD rant. There is no need for that. I've had problems with them yes... but my experience with my AUTHORIZED dealer has been nothing short of fantastick. I'd buy NAD again - the sound is worth it.

Bronze Member
Username: Kingfish

Post Number: 68
Brad,
Thanks for posting that information about the new firmware. I had been wanting to find that since I bought my new T773.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I got my T763 back today - upgraded. The new PC Control software works great with the new firmware (2.03). I must say here that NAD have done a great job in this regard.

Speaking of the new firmware update...I also recieved a photocopied manual that covers all the new features. So people looking for info on the new features should keep a look out for this - perhaps NAD will make it available for download (if they haven't already).

JWJ
Unregistered guest
Just curious, how do I check the firmware version on my 753?? My unit was in for service and I was wondering if it was upgraded.
-JJ

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
On the front panel of the unit... press the 'audio input' and 'video input' at the SAME time for a couple of seconds... when you release, the VFD will display what version it has.

Bronze Member
Username: Bien

Post Number: 32
Mathew,

What problem did you have with the T763? Did NAD automatically do the firmware upgrade or did you have to ask for it?
Also, did you decide to have the board replaced to get the PLIIx?
I am considering sending in my unit for both of the upgrades but I don't know if it is worth it to send in the unit just to have the new firmware and not the new board when I am not having any problems with the unit.
From a user's persfective, any real noticable advantage of the new firmware other than the PC control software?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Mathew, good deal :D

Being I got a new one, I would like to have a updated manual for mine. I've been meaning to call them. Maybe they aren't finished at the printers yet for mass production. I was expecting a new one since it has PL IIx and other software features not shown in the manual. I haven't received a email notification of the new firmware either. Mine is 2.03 and the firmware notification was suppose to be one of the purposes of registering.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
bien kim,

ya, it is mentioned above. Dolby Prologic IIx is included with new units, but its a board upgrade for older units. I have read the cost to do it isn't that much, but I don't have the price. For PL IIx see http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/prologic_IIx_faq_1.html

Its not that much greater than original PL II. Its a personal decision. I like to keep up with the latest and greatest myself, but I asked the dealer to have the factory hold my order until the upgrade was complete. I probably wouldn't send it back to have that done, if I already had a T773.

I just received another back speaker yesterday to complete my 7.1 setup. I'm not even in a hurry to complete the change to my system. I'll probably store it for awhile until some 7.1 stuff comes out. Only reason I got the speaker is because JBL has discontinued the studio series. Have to re-arranged and undo some wall mounts. Geesh...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
bien kim,
my T763 went back because of a noisy fan. An interesting point is that the fans made a slight rattling noise from day one and then after 3 weeks got very loud and I had to take it back. The unit also exhibited most of the other faults mentioned in the forums but the fans were the main prob. Now after I got the unit back, the fans don't rattle but sound like normal fans.

If would highly recommend people grab a 9 pin serial cable and connect their PC to their T163, T763 or T773 because the PC Control/Setup software NAD have made is very useful indeed! I've seen other manufacturers attempts at this an NAD have done a supreme job here.

** An interesting note tho..I was supposed to get the latest firmware in my unit when it went in for repair. There is an option in the PC control software that allows you to save your entire setup (great stuff!), however, when I try to use it, it says "This feature requires firmware 2.05 or higher on your unit". So this verifies to me what I already thought - 2.03 is not the latest, it is 2.05 (as mentioned in another Topic)! I will be following this up.

Regaring whether the hardware upgrade is worth it...hmm, well I suppose it mainly on how many speakers you have connected, as the only reason you would get it done is for Dolby Digital Prologic IIx and Dolby Prologic IIx. You really need at least a 6.1 although you may get the most out of a 7.1 setup. In fact Dolby Digital Pro Logic IIx Movie mode is not available in a 6.1 setup.

As mentioned in previous Topics, HDCD decoding is no longer present, as the new DPLIIx replaces it.

BTW, here's what the Manual Addendum says about the new Enhanced Bass option:
"When the subwoofer is set to ON and one or more speakers are set to LARGE, ENHANCED BASS is also available. Normally with speakers set to LARGE the subwoofer is not active. The ENHANCED BASS option allows full range operation of the speakers with the additional bass contribution of the subwoofer. This feature is particularly useful when one wants to experience maximum bass output. Please note that due to acoustic cancellation effects, the bass repsonse may be uneven when using this setting."

Bronze Member
Username: Bien

Post Number: 33
Cool.
It looks as though I may end up sending my unit in for the upgrades, at least the firmware upgrade anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Bronze Member
Username: Dary

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 20
I'm almost sure that the 773 with firmware 1.26, when in Stereo mode, send bass output to the sub, even with front speakers set to Large. It seems that part of the Enhanced bass feature was already there. I no longer have the NAD. Can someone check this?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Dary,
I'm not sure if previous firmware, but with current if you turn enhanced bass off when in stereo mode, the subwoofer is off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Matthew,

What can be done with the software interface that is useful?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Keith

The PC Interface software runs in the background and allows you to both remotely control the Main and Remote Zone, as well as completely set up the whole Receiver.

I didn't use the OSD at all to set my Receiver up, I just used this software, eg

o Input Settings
o Speaker Setup
o Speaker Levels
o Listening Mode settings

You can also create your Radio Presets, which is very easy, as well as save them to a file.

You can save all your settings from the Receiver to a file and reload them at a later date, although you need v2.05 firmware for this. Great feature if your unit needs replacing.

The program visually appears very simple and **thankfully** it doesn't try to look like some sort of "Super happy fun time" GUI interface. I like functionality and simplicity - not some sort of failed spaceship looking interface :-) Some manufacturer's idea of making software "look good" often ends up looking quite the opposite :-)

In fact my only complaint about this software is that the close button exits the program, which is not standard behaviour for programs that are designed to run in the background. (Although it does have a standard minimise button.)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Matthew,

That sounds very useful indeed. Thanks for taking the time to fill me in. I just need to get a very long cable. By the way, have you ever downloaded the firmware upgrades? I don't see it anywhere on their site for download. I have 2.03 and current is 2.05. Also the dealer recommended the factory do the firmware updates. Do you have any knowledge of this? Thank you :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Keith

You can also rename your A/V Presets now and edit them individually using the PC Software - great stuff.

I'm investigating how to get hold of the latest firmware (2.05). I've emailed NAD regarding availability of software updates (probably the zillionth person to do this :-) ), so we'll see what happens.

I suppose there are a few different ways to look at the current unwillingness of NAD to make firmware updates publicly available, ie:

o They are still bug testing
o They want authorised dealers to handle this because there are probably a number of people that have hardware problems that a firmware upgrade won't fix.
o A way for their dealers to make money.
o Perhaps their firmware upgrade system is not nearly foolproof enough.

Personally speaking, I don't like this current behaviour of withholding the firmware updates, as it puts a negative slant on their public relations/after sales support considering that other companies let users do this but until we know the real reason why these updates are being withheld, we can't really form any conclusions. IMHO, I just think it's one less star for after sales support.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Hi Mathew,

Thanks again for your information. Yes, I really like that you can rename the presets. This comes in quite handy. Presently I set up two presets, one for movies and other for music. I'm sure I'll use it for something else, but the for the time being that will due. A very nice feature indeed. The T753 that I was trying out had 1.23 firmware I believe. This new version 2 on the T773 has much better features, I agree.

Regarding updating the firmware, I'm unsettled about the real reason of this, and if the dealer is being straight forward. He told me the reason they send it back to the factory to have it done is because sometimes the update doesn't "take". I'm not convinced this is the real reason, because with my computer I have been doing firmware updates for years on my computer's hardware without one incident where the update didn't "take". Possibly stereo equipment could be different especially if this feature is in its infant stages. This was one of reasons I purchased the T773.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
As a recent user of the PC interface with the T763 - I was very impressed with all that functions that you can do with it. HOWEVER - If you've followed my posts, you know that I shipped that 763 back, and picked up a new 773 version 2.

I received the new unit yesterday, and after setting it up in my system, I connected it to the PC. It was a bit surprising to see that the PC software does not handle many of the functions on the new 773 version 2. About the only things I can control are volume, source, zone 2, tuner functions, and a few surround modes. Some surround modes are not accessible (due to the upgrade to PLIIx), and the feature that allows you to "download current receiver configuration" are not supported. This now does NOT allow you do load your current config into the PC, adjust it, and then download back into the 773.

Anyone else (owners of a 773v2) have this problem? Seems strange that a step forward would result in two steps back. To my knowledge there is only one version of the PC interface software out there... does anybody know any different??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
BTW - Keith, what version of firmware is your 773?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
Brad, I have 2.03 firmware on this receiver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Brad

Did you get the new version of the PC Software that was released recently? The NAD site is still showing it as a 786Kb download but it's actually 805Kb.

With v2.03 of the PC Software (with my T763) I was unable to access a lot of functionality until I got this new version of the PC Software.

There is a function called "Save Settings" and "Load Settings", which alerts me to the fact that I need v2.05 of the firmware to use. This is the only function of the software that doesn't work. As I have a 763 I can't speak for the 773.

Keith

I agree, I fix computers and like you have been updating firmware for years and have never experienced one problem (not to say that it won't happen). If there are possible issues with updating the firmware then that would not be a good sign for NAD design. The fact that other manufacturers make their firmware updates freely available (eg Rotel http://europe.rotel.com/support/downloads.htm) is interesting.

And what gets me is why would NAD release a new version of their PC Control software and not make the required Firmware updates available? I just purchased my T763 and it went back for repairs and was meant to come back with the latest firmware - is it unavailable to the authorised repair companies as well??? All very interesting.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Mathew;

The DEALERS themselves have told me that getting both information, and access to firmware updates is difficult for them too. On most occasions, they find out about updates through their customers... not their sales reps. They are also limited on what they can upload - saying that usually the reps have to come to their shop and do it for them! I wonder why NAD has taken this approach... I heartily agree that they should make them available to US for uploading.

Dean M
Unregistered guest
Hi all.
I have a T763 with 2.02. What are the changes to 2.05 besides the PC control mentioned above.

Two things i'd like to check with the newer versions: With the tuner detail now on the OSD, is the screen blank with only tuner information visible or can a video source be selected? AND when switching off "A" speakers does it mute all speakers including the sub - currently mine leaves the sub on?

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Sound_advice

Post Number: 58
Wow, this is a little overwelming I just received my t773 with version 2.0 installed on it, i'd like to download the new software if possible but it sounds a little difficult, can someone post a step by step process on how to, that would be greatly appriciated

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Please read this post thoroughly... basically - YOU can't. You need to take it to the dealer where you purchased it from. They will do it for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
My email response from NAD was that basically there is no such thing as an upgrade to the T7x3 units (they come factory installed) and that currently distributors are evaluating upgrade possibilities to existing units.

I have emailed the distributor in my country to see they can help.

I don't have much hope at the moment tho, but let's not break out the tissues just yet. ;-)

Username: Doctora

Chicago, Il Usa

Post Number: 3
I purchased a 773 on Saturday and the vendor (Saturday Audio Exchange) requested and received a 2.05 firmware update for me yesterday afternoon (now running version 2.03). I will be installing it this coming weekend.

Has anyone else done this? How hard, how easy etc?

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 456
Steve,

Did you say that you would be installing the new firmware? I was under the impression that at this time only the the dealers did firmware upgrades.

I also bought my NAD at Saturday Audio and the service was absolutely wonderful. The owner, Andy, was wonderful to deal with.

Bronze Member

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 30
Steve,

Did your NAD come with PL2x and without HDCD?

Thanks

Username: Doctora

Chicago, Il Usa

Post Number: 4
Dary:

Yes, my NAD did come with PLIIx -- and there's no HDCD to be found.

Johnny:

Yes, Andy just called in to NAD tech support and was emailed the (hopefully) proper file(s?) from NAD. (I think he's a major force in the Chicago NAD universe.) But interestingly, they didn't let his people simply log onto their site and download the upgrade. Instead they insisted on sending it as an email attachment.

I wonder whether the upgrade is done using the PC control software, whether it is bundled with its own software, or whether (ugh! bad possibility!) one needs to use one's own FTP software. (Bad news if true.)

Can't anyone share more info on upgrade techniques?

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 457
Like I said earlier, I didn't even know the general consumer could do it. I thought one had to take their receiver to the dealer and have them do it for you. This is all news to me.

Bronze Member

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 31
Thanks Steve. I hope your unit doesn't show any of the problems reported here. Please post your findings. As long as I know, the last upgrade is 2.05a and it's done by the built-in application.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us