On board processors in receiver or dvd player?

david f
Unregistered guest
Maybe this is a lame question but I would like to know the answer nun-the-less. How do I know my receiver (Yammy 2400) is doing the processing and not my dvd player (denon 4800)? Both have on board processing, and I think I would certainly want my receiver to be doing the work. Do I have to turn off the processors in the dvd or does the receiver just override it?

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 102
David,

If you have a DVD player connected to the receiver with just the one digital interconnect and have switched the receiver to its 'DVD' input, then all the processing is happening on the receiver.

However, if you have connected all the analogue outputs to the multi-input receiver, and have switched the receiver to the 'Multi-Input' source, then you would be getting the processing as done on the DVD player.

Now, you can connect BOTH the multi-input analogue interconnects AND the digital interconnect between the two boxes. In that situation the answer is that it depends on which input you have selected on the receiver - DVD or Multi-Input?

You're probably wondering about the Multi-Input option. If you have a DVD player that can also play one of the new DVD-A or SACD formats, you will get better resolution out of the multi-input. The reason for this is that these formats are not allowed to be transmitted digitally between two units in order to avoid piracy. Actually, very recently, the rules were relaxed on DVD-A so the very latest kit can cope with the high resolution transmission of DVD-A, but SACD remains a no-no. This means that the digital transmission you would experience when playing an SACD (or possibly DVD-A if yours is not right bang up to the minute kit), would have lower resolution and quality than if you used the internal processing of the DVD player.

Finally, when playing CDs I suggest you do a direct comparison between the internal processing of the DVD player and using the processing in the receiver. I find much of the time, that although the receiver will give a little better space or air, the timing is not as good as when using the processing in the DVD player. So the music might sound more beautiful from the receiver, but would be less involving. Personally I prefer involvement over the technical aspects of the recording any day.

Regards,
Frank.....hoping I haven't confused you completely.

david f
Unregistered guest
Thank you very much Frank. A very concise answer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us