How do I hook up my olde TV to my NAD to get sound

Bronze Member
Username: Lesterlyles

Post Number: 43
I want to hear my TV through my speakers. I have a NAD 773 and realize I have to hook up the TV to the receiver. How exactly do I do this? What are the ins and outs involved etc? i tried to mess around with it and I couldn't get it to work.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 100
You don't need to hook up the TV to the receiver -- just hook up the source of the TV audio signal to the receiver. If you have satellite, hook the satellite receiver audio out to the receiver (preferably either by digital coax or optical). If you have cable, hook up the cable receiver to the receiver. If you are just listening to over the air (antenna) then you need to hook your TV to the receiver probably with RCA jacks.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 622
Robert:

I have no idea how old your TV is, but if it has a pair of audio out connectors, that is, one red and one white RCA type plugs that will send a fixed audio signal out in stereo (most tvs built in the last ten years have this), then you can run the audio out directly to a matching audio connection on your T773. I would suggest you connect it to the audio connections on Video 5 on the back of your T773. I have done this with my old Toshiba CRT tv and my NAD T753--it works great.

Good luck!

new bee
Unregistered guest
Jonathan:
I don't have any receiver yet, but I have a question. Do all receivers can be pluged by cable to cable network, or it applies only to greather models?
thank you

Unregistered guest
what if you have a tv no audio outputs how do u get sound through a reciever??

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 641
Serge:

I don't believe you can short of opening up the tv and tapping into the audio circuits directly--not something I would ever recommend.

Bronze Member
Username: Lesterlyles

Post Number: 46
Upon further review, when I hooked up the digital cable box to the receiver, there is a pretty substantial hum (almost like feedback) through the speakers. Even taking the plug out of the receiver (just leaving it in the cablebos "out" plug) generates a hum on the TV (this led me to believe its not the receiver). Is this the cable wire I am using. Is it just becasue its an old TV? Would a newer TV with component plugs avoid this? Any suggestions would be great.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 106
Robert, here is a thread from John A. that maybe can help:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/6368.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us