7.1 system receiver

Username: Dallasjbl

Post Number: 1
Ok, this my first post weee!!

Here it goes. I am looking for a new Receiver for my new house. I just had the house wired up just after it was framed so I am pleased to get everything ready like I wanted. I am setting up a primary HT room with 7.1 and I currently run all JBL speakers. Center=s-center II, Front=CF120, Rear=S38 II, Sub=S120P II, and sides will probably be in-ceiling SP8's. So if any of you have any suggestions for these speakers I welcome them all. SO far from demoing at different stores and reading reviews, I am liking the Onkyo 801/901/802, Yamaha 1400/2400, Pioneer Elite 54tx, maybe even the Denon 3805. I really like the H/K looks, but to meet my requirements, it going to prolly jump out of my range.

My main requirements are:
1. 7.1
2. THX cert or nice DSP equivelant to THX
3. 100+ watts x 7
4. Compatible for direct digital connection(IE, not the 6 wires) to DVD
5. Around 1k $ or under

not requirement but would like
1. Network capable
2. Good auto setup feature
3. Learning remote

thats all I can think of right now.

in case this helps, TV will prolly be the Samsung 63 or 85 series not sure which but definitely one of them and also a HDMI up connection DVD player.

I notice some receivers are geared toward certain speakers and lot of you all prolly know which work with which so just let me know which makes better sense. I can tell you that I have used Yamaha(thought is was waay underpowered but prolly just the model I had, I had a Sony higher end DE series that seemed very tinty, my current kenwood 605 which isnt bad but its a little on the bright side with some absence of bass in the fronts. Oh, I forgot my old school Technics which honestly was prolly my best sounding at least for my front speakers they really cleaned house on lower end output and the mids were a tad thrashy and highs were solid. It seems in the last few years...ok that means like 5years for me, that receivers seem very bright in general or least the ones I have had and I know the sub takes a lot of the low end but my mains can really handle prolly as much as my sub.
Ok, spill over. Lemme hear what ya got.

thx in advance for any ideas/opinions.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 139
Based on your speakers, I would eliminate the Yamaha and the Denon, leaving the Pioneer Elite 54tx or the Onkyo 901. They are both good performers...my preference of these two would be the Pioneer. I would look at Marantz too. The SR8400 and SR7400 are very good choices. The HK AVR7300 would be out of your price range.

Silver Member

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 140
Based on your speakers, I would eliminate the Yamaha and the Denon, leaving the Pioneer Elite 54tx or the Onkyo 901.

They are both good performers...my preference of these two would be the Pioneer. I would look at Marantz too. The SR8400 and SR7400 are very good choices. The HK AVR7300 would be out of your price range.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 812
The Marantz SR7500 will do all your requirements and it has auto-setup. The SR8500 will do everything.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 127
The 100W x 7 criteria is, I'm affraid, driven by pure marketing. Don't be fooled by this number; there's nothing magic about it. Reconsider h/k if you like them otherwise.

50W is only 3dB down from 100W, and h/k are pretty conservative in their ratings anyway.

Silver Member

Post Number: 813
Indeed, I just got a new review of Denon AVR3805 where it managed to output only 5*39W to 8ohm and 5*20W to 4 ohm of real continuous multichannel power. Dynamic power was ok with 5*110/145/155W to 8/4/2 ohms.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1682
The Marantz SR7500 is an excellent choice. If you want the extra power, you can mate it with an Outlaw Audio 7100 or 7700 depending on your budget. You can also do this with the Pioneer Elite in your choice. Don't depend on the receiver to put out that much power.

If you want networked music try this
http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php

Silver Member

Post Number: 814
Or the new NAD NetCap computer-to-AV interface.

Post Number: 2
Those are great suggestions, I was also wondering if any of them are upgradeable...looking at the pioneer and onkyo...It seems the new 802's have a different face that is really nice looking with that blue background light behind the volume knob(that seems like a plus for the girly and a more of a OK from her on that one :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Mitchbd

Post Number: 23
Have a serious look at a NAD. The 763 can be had for under 1K now, and setup features are excellent. The T7*3 series can be controlled via RS 232, and is also firmware upgradeable via the same interface. The sound of it is superior too! Best way to find out is to listen and compare.

Bronze Member
Username: Sound_advice

Post Number: 56
I'll make it short...I agree with Brad Mitchel in his recommendation, the NAD will sound better.

Post Number: 3
Any thoughts or reviews on the HK dpr 2005 receiver?

Silver Member

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 150
Stay away from it, if sound quality is important to you. The NAD or Marantz will be much better.

If you like HK, I would buy the AVR635 which will be available soon or the AVR7300, which is a excellent machine with all the latest features.

Post Number: 4
Ok, I think I got it down to 4 choices. Wait, didn't I start with 3? gah. Onkyo 901/802, Marantz 7400, Pioneer Elite 54tx, HK avr635. Does anyone have trouble trying to test different receivers out? As in, do people let you bring them back if you dont like it and exchange it for another. I am having trouble on tests, Marantz is few and far between trying to find an actual dealer, only stores like tweeter actually have elites but they dont carry JBL...same goes for besy buy...they carry JBL but no HK, elites. So confusing but yet also..so fun.

Silver Member

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 155
Circuit City carries HK and Pioneer. You can purchase the product, try it out for 30 days and bring it back for exchange/refund if you don't like it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Post Number: 10
Well, I ended up buying the 53TX model, there was a display model they was getting rid of at Ultimate Electronics for 575 and that sounded like a good deal to me. So far, I love it.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 764
Eric,
Good choice and welcome to the Pioneer Elite lovers club. There is nothing that goes better with JBL so you did the smart thing. The price seems ok and you get the benefit of a local dealer. The Elite's are beautiful aren't they? Enjoy.

Username: Cmy330go

Post Number: 2
I'm not a huge fan of Yamaha but in this case I think they are worth a look.

I work at a nice retailer that caries Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, HK, etc. A while back I received a Yamaha 2400 for free through a sales contest. I really had no use for it since I already had a Denon AVR4802 ($2500). One day for the heck of it I put it in place of my Denon. My system is a 7.1 with all Polk Audio LSi series (4ohm) speakers. This is not an easy system to drive but the Yamaha did an AWSOME job. I'm not sure why but it far outperforms my old denon. I have actually been using it ever since, and the denon is now collecting dust in the corner.

Just My 2 Cents Worth.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us