Help stop blowing my woofers - Rotel RA-971 killing Infin 2000.5

Username: Dabowery

Post Number: 1
I truly need your advice and/or insight. Here's the bizare set up.

Rotel RA-971 integrated amp (acts a one channel)
Yamaha RX-460 receiver (acts as another channel)
Infinity 2000.5 front
Yamaha speakers back
Sony CD player

The problem is my Rotel RA-971 has blown 3(!) Infinity 2000.5 woofers on two occassions. On both occassions they where playing very loudly w/o distortion for an hour or so and then the amp would cut off. It cooled down for a few minutes and played again, only this time to blow the woofers. Any ideas why this happens?

Next area of advice: any ideas on what to do next?

Background
When I first got the used Rotel, I tested out a subwoofer with the InfinSpkrs. Played fine enough when suddenly a spark came out of the amp frying one channel. (This was a replacement for the Yamaha since that too was only playing on one channel.) So I used each for mono with a direct line from the cd-player and just speakers - no subwoofer. As mentioned, later another Infin woofer died (I think - only hear the tweater). But the really cheap speakers lived on. Nothing happened to them. Found a cheap Infin replacement, and later that too was fried when connected to the Rotel. But the cheapo's keep on thumpin'... ahh.

So what would to do with very few dollars?

1) get a used hafler amp & some used speakers and try again.
2) get new speakers but set them up differently,but I don't know what would be done differently.
3) another year of seriously compromised soundstick living until the budget permits other considerations.

All insight and ideas are truly appreciated and much needed. Thanks!

Kano
Unregistered guest
"On both occassions they where playing very loudly w/o distortion for an hour or so and then the amp would cut off. It cooled down for a few minutes and played again, only this time to blow the woofers. Any ideas why this happens? "

Sounds like something to do with the receiver. Good way to test it would be to hook up one of those cheapo speakers to the channel that keeps getting blown drivers. If that too blows, I'd get on Rotel's back and demand a new receiver and 2 new Infinity 2000.5s

Username: Dabowery

Post Number: 2
Thanks Kano. I threw in the towel and started from scratch (all the gear is > 5yrs old). I just picked up a pair of Jamo 7 speakers (used of course) for a couple hundred bucks. Now I'm trying to determine what to power these and cable them with. I'm going to start a new post on this question. I'm biased towards old gear (cheaper and more fun for me). If you have amp suggestions, that'll be great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us