Trying to get my surround sound hooke up?

Unregistered guest
I just bought a Samsung DLP TV and got the HD coveter box from Comcast. I have a Toshiba TX-DS484 receiver and a DVD player. I'm trying to connect the reciever to the TV to get surround sound. I've plugged the DVD player into the reciever as explained in the Toshiba manual. I took the L,R audio cables and vido cable and plugged them into the out postion on the TV and into Video 1 Channel on the Reciever, but I can't get the DVD player to work or surround sound. I new at this and would like to learn. Can someone help.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 103
Chaz,

To get real surround from your receiver, you need a digital audio connection from your DVD to your receiver, and from your HD box to your receiver. These can be either optical or coaxial. There's no real need to use the analog audio RCA outputs from your TV.

Then you'll get surround on the speakers connected to the receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Lesterlyles

Post Number: 42
Can I get surround sound on a 1990 CD player that does not have the ability to use these optical/coaxial cable?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 104
Robert,

I should clarify my remarks. You can get some surround from stereo sources, matrixed into the stereo signal's phase (e.g. Dolby Pro Logic). To get full 5.1 surround, you need digital connections or the already separated 6 or 8 analog RCA connectors for SACD or DVDA.

A plain CD player may have only RCA stereo outputs because a plain CD doesn't support 5.1 anyway.

Unregistered guest
can someone help me .. how do I hook up my tv vcr and cable box to my sony receiver. I have 2 front speakers and a center speaker that needs to be hookup to.My tv /vcr has 3 plugs grn yellow and white and a coax post. my cable box only has coax post
thank you
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us