HELP! Need new HT receiver to match Paradigm 7v2s

Unregistered guest
Just got a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7v2's and hooked up to my old (15 yrs) Sony receiver and they sounded like they were playing underwater. Is it the receiver or the speakers? I assumed the crap old receiver but the Paradigms are bi-wireable and I hooked them up via the low end connects - wasn't sure if that was correct, but when i hooked them up through the upper connects it sounded even worse. Help!!! If it isn't the speakers, I've been looking at the following in my 350-450 price range:
Marantz 5300, 5400 or 6300
H/K 230 or 325
Yamaha RX-V650
Denon AVR-1804 or 2803 (bit $$$)
Onkyo TX-SR601

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 746
You have to connect both, lower and upper connectors. You can do it by putting short wires between the lower and upper +'s and lower and upper -'s. then just plug the wires to either of these connectors.

Bronze Member
Username: Sound_advice

Post Number: 41
Hi Johnny,

Usually the Paradigm come with jumpers that connects both +'s and -'s Oh well, follow landroval's instruction and you'll be fine...

I personnally own a pair of Monitor 7s and they sound great...i'm actually upgrading from a Denon 2802 which I just sold to the new Arcam Diva avr 250 and I can't wait (2 weeks or so)

the Denon sounded great, great soundstage and lots of detail, so i'll recommend in order
1 2803 (should be some great deals online)
2 Marantz 5400 OSE if you can
3 Denon 1804
4 Yamaha 650
5 Onkyo or H/K (Please no hate mail on the H/K, this is my opinion and from previous listening experiences)

Unregistered guest
Thank you both for your advice. As i got the Paradigms used without the jumpers, would it be ok to use a small piece of monster cable...or is there a better solution?

As for the receiver, I'd like to upgrade either way and was leaning toward Marantz because I read that the Denon didn't perform very well for music listening (which will be over 50 % of my use for the new receiver). Is this not true? Any suggestions?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Hi Johnny,

Monster cable is fine, as far as the receivers it comes down to your personnal opinion, i'll advise you to listen to both receivers, your ears will tell you which one you prefer...

I'll agree and most people would say the Marantz is better for 2 channel music, while others might disagree. All I can tell you is that both are very good match with the Paradigm.

Enjoy

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 687
As much as I like Marantz and Paradigm I must say they are not the best match together. Both are on the warm side and if you like that then so be it but not the right balance for me. I think $350-$450 is not enough of a budget to do justice to the Paradigm 7's but with Yamaha coming out with the new 1500 soon there should be some good closeout prices on the 1400. Look for that any you'll have a nicely balanced system. I most cases I like Marantz better but not with Paradigm.

Unregistered guest
Thanks both again for the advice. I jury-rigged the jumpers w/ monster cable last night and it sounds much better but the Sony is painfully overmatched. In choosing a new receiver I am a bit worried about the too much 'warmth' issue in pairing the Marantz w/ the Paradigms, though I am not a fan of bright and thin (which Yamahas seem to suffer from)- therealelitefan, does the 1400 eliminate the bright issues? What other receivers would you think better suited to the Paradigm 7's at the next price point bearing in mind that I'm trying to avoid bright sound?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Guys,

I've been reading these posts for some time now and I must admit, there is a lot of good information to be taken from these threads but one thing has been driving me crazy these days is people's advice on thin, bright, warm and neutral receivers.

Lets face it the main purpose of an amplifier is to take a source material and amplify it to the bests of its ability without changing too much, hence you hear what the Directors or engineers wanted you to hear, same goes to the speakers...

Now having said that, each brand will sound somewhat differently from one to another, that's to be expected because they use different parts.

But to label Marantz or any other manufacturer as being too warm in a negative fashion I completely disagree. Warm is a good thing, what you are hearing is a full detailed sound with a better than average soundstage. Marantz do make good recievers, the best, maybe not. As far as to label Denon or Yamaha's being labeled as bright or thin, maybe we should look to the end users pushing their amplifier to their outmost limit. (the amp loses control) Listen to a Yami and Denon at low to average volumes and they sound fabulous but if you demand too much then the'll suffer.

I think that in the end you should trust your ears.

Believe me that the day Marantz makes a receiver that is too warm to be played with Paradigm speakers is the day that Marantz will be out of business.

I do agree with therealelitefan when he states that $350-450 is too low of a budget on a Home Theater to be matched with the M7.

This is my opinion and it is not intended to offend anyone.

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 89
I'm sorry, but I have to laugh that anyone would take a Yamaha RX-v650 or for that matter the Denon 1804 over an HK230 as far as sound goes.

Note: This is not meant to be Yamaha or Denon hate mail.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
I'd purchase the Denon unit any day over the HK, as far as the Yami you're right my mistake (my bad:-) )

Unregistered guest
Sound Advice, as I am indeed working with too small a budget (unfortunately), what should I be aspiring to purchase? What would be a better fit for the m7s? A higher level Marantz (7300) or Denon? NAD? I can wait and save for another few months if I know what I should be saving for. Thanks again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Johnny, I've had the pleasure of listening to all above mentionned receivers with the Paradigm speakers, and I can say that any of these would be great. If I had to pick I would consider the NAD t753 (6.1 though) great sounding unit in both Music and Home theater, then I would look at the Marantz or Denon units. You have to remember one thing your sound will only be as good as your weakest link within your system (this includes your wires as well) so if you can wait a bit more I would include the Nad t763 (Toroidal power supply), the Rotel 1056 or the new Arcam Diva 250 it may take a month or two or three...(remember you still have a temporary Sony unit)but over the next 10 years you'd be kicking yourself if you didn't

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 753
I dont like too much that weakest link theory. I think I can always make the overall sound better by changing just one component, even if it's not the weakest link. If I have a Yamaha receiver and some good ordinary speakers, I will definitely hear a difference if I switch in some Wilson Audios.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
it's that simple you can't get blood out of a stone, if you have Paradigm signature series and a JVC receiver...your sound will only be as good as your JVC receiver, that's all, not too sure what's causing the confusion?

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 155
Sound Advice,

I don't think Marantz will be going out of business too soon if their receivers aren't considered a perfect match with Paradigm. I agree with elitefan (I think warm may have been the wrong term) that pairing say a laid back receiver with laid back speakers will give you a kind of dullish sound. Sure I understand it's all down to personal taste and if that's the sound you prefer then let no one tell you different, but IMO and the general consensus from those that have reported their findings when matching equipment is that generally a laid back receiver/speaker needs a forward sounding receiver/speaker to sound it's best. Personally I reckon with the description people have given of Paradigm speakers receivers from NAD, Yamaha and Denon will suit better and if you want good stereo ability I think the NAD wins.

Johnny you should go and listen for yourself to be sure you have the best sound for you. Try to hear the Marantz with Paradigms to hear dull.

Unregistered guest
I'd like to audition the receivers, but none of the hifi stores around me seem to carry Paradigms. Are their other speaker brands that have a similar 'laid back' quality of the Paradigms that I can audition in-store? There seem to be a lot of Klipsh, JBL, Monitor Audio, Pinnacle & Energy lines. I know the sound cannot be duplicated, but I'd like to at least have a idea of what something will sound like before I purchase my receiver over the internet.

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 156
Well, if they don't stock Paradigm's then seeing as you have a pair why not take yours down to them. That way you can hear them with all the receivers you are considering but it's seems a bit unfair that you want to use their demo facilities and end up not buying from them wouldn't you agree? Best thing is to use the dealers demo facilities and when you've decided what you want ask them to price match or to get close to the prices you have seen online. Also when demoing receivers, even with two speakers, make sure the source is connected to the receiver using a digital connection (even if it's a cd player) that way the source won't add it's own sonic character to the system. It will simply send 0's and 1's to the receiver.

If you can't take your speakers down to the dealer then have a look in the speakers forum to see what Denon and Yamaha owners are pairing their's with. I'm sure you'll find something to help illustrate what you want.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us