7.1 Config Question

Bronze Member
Username: Rickypearson

Post Number: 47
I have a Pionere Receiver Which does 7.1 Quite nicely and was Wondering How Far Behind me i Should put the Rear Speakers, Because in Recent Setups i have had it seems the Back channels are NOt as Loud In 6 Channel Mode, thansk guys any set up help is great

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 616
The 6th and/or 7th speaker surrounds are not supposed to be as loud. They should only play as loud as the front speakers if the engineer made that special effect--like a bomb in a movie.

In a 5.1 set-up, the first surrounds should be parallel to the front speakers and facing the listener. In a 6.1 set-up, the 6th speaker should be equidistant from both the L/R surround (in other words, directly behind the main listener) and about 3-5 feet behind.

In a 7.1 set-up, the 6th and 7th speakers should be about 3-5 feet behind the first surrounds, except they should be closer together.

Let us say your front speakers are 10 feet apart. That means your first surrounds (for a 5.1) should be 10 feet apart. The second surrounds (for a 7.1) the L/R surrounds should be about 3.333 feet from each other and both about 3-5 feet behind the listener. The 6th and 7th speakers are closer together to fill-in the acoustic circle behind the listener.

As far as the height of the 6th and 7th speakers, many audiophiles prefer ear level---but since they are ambient and should be bipoles/dipoles they can be placed at ceiling height (or 6-10 feet if you have very high ceilings). Obviously this is a matter of personal taste.

My personal preferences are for ear level direct speakers in 5.1 and in 7.1 adding dipole/bipole surrounds at a higher level to provide ambience and fill in the rear acoustically.

But you can get a number of different opinions on speakers and their placements--particularly in 7.1. And even in 5.1 many like the surrounds as bipole/dipoles, particularly those that watch movies most often.

Bronze Member
Username: Rickypearson

Post Number: 49
Thanks alot for the Post ill try that out!

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 620
You're welcome.

For you and others that may be interested there is a very interesting site by Wendy Carlos (of synthesizer and composing fame):

http://www.wendycarlos.com/surround/surround.html

or try eneterring in your browser: Wendy Carlos surround sound,

Shows her early professor at Brown University 13 speaker surround set-up, plus her own 7.2 set-up--probably for her mastering, as sheshows one chair in the center.

Anyway, the examples, illustrations, and writings are certainly worth reading. She, like many professional composers and audiophiles prefers using 2 12" woofers, whether in a 5.2 or 7.2 set-up. And she locates them roughly halfway between her first surrounds and her front speakers on both sides of the room. Her speaker arrangements appear almost circular--probably because she is the only one listening in the room during mastering.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us