4 Ohn speakers blowing Amp

Username: Jportela

Post Number: 2
I have burned up three amps (Sony STRDE845, HK 330, Sherwood 756) trying to run a surround system with 4 ohm Tower Phase Technology PC 500s as front speakers (Ebay deal). My next try will be a Marantz 7400 ($700 limit)). Does anybody out there have a better idea please

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 734
Yes. Get a separate power amp which can handle 4ohm loads. No cheap receiver is really designed for that so you'll might have problems with the Marantz also.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
Jose, you probably have a short in the speaker somewhere: Burned voice coil; wires touching, crossover malfunction, etc. The HK 330 will drive 2 ohms easily.

Silver Member

Post Number: 735
And they all should have protecting circuits so theoretically you should not be able to burn them, just overheat and then they should shut down.

DFW

Post Number: 4
The protecting circuit only worked on the HK. The speakers always sound great and have their own sub amp power. They work fine for a couple of hours and then the main amp quits. Could they short in the coil or wherever only after they warm up? Is there any way I can check the speakers. Will the Marantz be better than the HK. Thanks for the reply!

Bronze Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 53
NAD receivers will handle 4 ohms. But it sounds like your best bet is what landroval suggested. Get a seperate amp for your mains. Parasound can be had and others for good prices used on Audiogon.

DFW

Post Number: 6
Guys I am not that knowledgeable about audio. I just found out the speakers ran fine on a NAD C350. Cant find one on the web. Could you please be more specific on the amps to get and I will act on it. Thanks again.
JP

Silver Member

Post Number: 739
Do you have any receiver right now? What is your budget?

DFW

Post Number: 7
No. The Phase Tech rep is going to order me a Marantz 7400 ($700) today but he can get whatever. Thanks for asking.

DFW

Post Number: 9
Ok, thanks to many of you I think I have it under control. I will purchase the NAM T753 for $800. So so price and out of my budget but the person selling it is also the PC500s repair rep and will fix them at cost for me if they are bad. Again I welcome any inputs today and Thank you all again!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us