Upgrading receiver to Onkyo TXSR701?

Username: Iamcanadian

Post Number: 1
Hey all, I have been reading your forums for quite some time now, and must say that there is nothing like it outhere on the net. The information and expertise contained in here is unmatched to anyhting I have ever come across. And it's free! (Please refrain from smiting me for incomplete sentences)

All smiting aside, I now seek the advice of the forum. I am looking to upgrade my receiver, and have been seriously looking at the Onkyo TX-SR701. I have looked at some H/K receivers like the AVR 525 and 430, some mid range Yamahas, and a Rotel as well. The only drawback to the other receivers is that their prices are higher than the 701, and price has to be a consideration in this purchase.

I live in Ontario Canada, so of course I own PSB speakers. I currently have some Stratus Bronze PSB's in front and centre, as well as Century 300i PSB's in the rear. I can pick up an Onkyo 701 at a local auth. dealer for 1100 cnd, (some places sell 'em for near 1400 up here) whereas the other receivers that I looked at cost 1500 cnd or more. I have read your reviews on the 701, and everyone seems to be pleased with it(that extends outside this forum as well), but I still have some concerns.

I live in an apartment right now, but am looking for a house, so while the space is relatively small right now, I certainly do not want to handicap myself with an underpowered receiver. I have seen a few posts regarding PSB Stratus Gold's hunger for power, and that an Onkyo may not be a good match for them. I realize that the posts were dealing with the 'Gold' series, but I would like your input all the same.

Is the 701 a good match for my PSB speakers? Is there a better match for the PSB's for around the same price? Should I drink alone? Are higher priced receivers worth considering for these speakers? Would I notice a difference with them? Your imput would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad.

Post Number: 2
I have just noticed that http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_18440.htm is selling their H/K AVR7200 for 900 usd, that 1100 cnd plus shipping and stuff, but really, what a cheap price. Is it legit? Should I be buying that right now? Is Hawk a robot?

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 51
Bradley,

Yes, it is legit...in fact, this site has the same receiver for $749 usd. http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=349082. I am unsure however if they ship "nord des lignes". As I and many others have said on this forum, this is likely the best buy out there right now. This receiver has TONS of power and sounds wonderful. Your speakers definately deserve the extra power that the 7200 would provide over the Onkyo. I have some PSB Image series speakers, and I absolutely love them.

That being said, the HK is a very warm sounding receiver (the Onkyo is fairly warm also) as are the PSB speakers...so the sound will likely be very warm (although I must admit I have never heard this combo together in person). If you are looking for a warm combo...this is definately the way to go...however, if you prefer a brighter sound, the HK might not fit your listening style. It is all up to you. If you are going to order the HK, I would do it soon, because at that price, they won't last long.

Username: Ncavman

Post Number: 20
Bradley,

Johnny is right on all points. I ordered a new 7200 from Onecall 4 weeks ago and I had a very good experirence with them. Got the 2 year warranty extended to 5 years for $15. They are authorized HK dealers. There is a $50 rebate right now making it $849. Send me a PM if you want any deatils.

Username: Davew

Post Number: 7
Frys Electronics is selling the 7200 for $499 usd on sale this week!

Username: Axlrose19802002

Post Number: 44
question...i keep hearing how great this receiver is and how unbelievable the price. is it worth sinking into now even if i'm not going to get my speakers for probably another 6 to 8 months when i have the money saved up, or will receivers change that much within a year?

Post Number: 3
Grrrrr.. After spending the last few days calling sites advertising the 7200, I cannot find one that can sell me one with a warranty valid in Canada. Can't bring myself to order one without a warranty. I guess I'll just go pound some snow.

Alan K
Unregistered guest
Check out Borderfree.com

Their customers like eCost.com will give you a checkout in CDN $ with ALL costs precalculated before you buy. Nothings hidden, no separate brokerage fees. It's a great facility for cross-border shopping.

I made a purchase recently thru eCost for US$180. for delivery to BC. The checkout showed the following in CDN $
$244.22 item (exch = 1.357%)
$ 17.27 shipping
$ 16.96 handling
$ 19.50 GST/HST
$ 0.00 PST
$297.95 total

Alan K
Unregistered guest
To - IAMCANADIAN

You 100% definitely have a US warranty if purchased thru authorized US dealer. Service will be performed thru authorized service centers or the factory. In some cases, all items will be warranted, even if not purchased thru authorized dealer. In just about most cases, the warranty work will have to be done in the States.

What you don't get is a free warranty repair at a neighbourhood service centre in Canada.

You'll have to evaluate the $ savings in each case of south-of-the-border shopping to see if the extra effort and savings are justified.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us