Which channels are used under certain conditions?

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 50
When they record some of the old classics on SACD and DVD-A, they sometimes use three channels. In particular, I was looking at this:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=14641

Not having one of these players as of yet, I was wondering what three channels were used. Is it left-center-right or left-right-rear?

Username: Friedoyster

Post Number: 7
It really bugs me that they can't be more specific in their listings. How about 2.1 for the three channels ... I've seen that before.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
I'm not sure what you mean about the three channels. Generally, I always thought the ".1" in 5.1, 4.1 or whatever referred to the powered subwoofer output. So, in your case, the 2.1 would be left and right mains accompanied by the subwoofer.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 725
Robert, you're right, the .1 normally refers to the LFE (subwoofer) channel.

With hi-rez audio some channels can show as 'live' yet are not used. For example Neill Young's Greendale DVD-A Multi-channel Surround shows as 5.1 but in reality is 4.1

Regardless, these hi-rez formats can sound really wonderful even in 2 channel.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 147
That Mussorgsky piece is 3.0, according to these release notes:

http://bmgclassics.com/albums/product.jsp?id=82876613942

I've heard that when stereo was invented many decades ago, 3 channels was considered necessary for a perfect soundstage image. 2-channel became standard because of technological limitations.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
I've read in a couple of places (one of them was probably right here on ths board) that using the center channel spoils the effect on a lot of hi- rez material.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 730
That depends entirely on the sound engineer. Like all formats there are good and bad recordings. I have some surround hi-rez discs where I think the center works very well and others where it is over used.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2178
I have "multichannel" discs in 2.1, 4.0, 5.0, 5.1. Some really good "5.1" discs actually have nothing on the centre channel, so are really 4.1. You can still pin-point centre-stage; it sounds for all the world like something is coming from the centre speaker, but if you put you ear to it, there is just silence. The centre channel is almost impossible for engineers to include without messing up the phasing that give the position of sound sources so well in stereo. I think that is why many serious recording engineers give it a miss. Probably the best DVD-Audio disc I have is in 4.0. The sub also causes problems if you take a "purist" approach to music, though there is no denying its impact in movies etc.

I agree with My Rantz, it depends on the sound engineer, and what he decided to put on the disc.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 151
John, have you listened to Eagles - Hotel California in DVD-A? IMO a masterpiece considering breakdown into multi-channel. I run my system without channel delays, but even then phase bias is negligible.

Cheers
AL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us