Auditioned Monitor Audio's and sounded ...

Username: Dpriwin

Post Number: 3
somewhat tinny. The models tested were S2 and GR 10. They were driven by an NAD amplifier and the music source was an NAD DVD player.

Don't get me wrong, both speakers were very detailed. I'm not sure how to describe it but it felt a bit like there was little between the bass and the treble. I felt the S2 directed the sound straight at me, while the GR 10 enveloped the room.

Having said that, what other alternatives in bookshelf speakers should I audition? I already listened to Paradigm Studio 40's. I would like to audition their Monitor 5's.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 148
Try def tech's, I auditioned some the other day albeit floorstanders but they were some of the most sweet sounding speakers I have heard.
What's your budget by the way?

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Post Number: 25
Try the Marantz and Monitor Audio combination.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 716
I recommend Quad 12L and Dynaudio 52SE. I listened to the 12L and GR10 side by side and I preferred the Quad.

Username: Seattlesounder

Post Number: 2
Daniel,
I have recently listened to the MA S2s and Paradigm Studio 40s and thought the S2s a bit too bright. Also the 40s sounded cleaner. I listened to some def techs and A/B'd them with some Boston Acoustics VR3 and prefered the VR3's. You may want to hear those.
You listened to the studio 40s. What was you thoughts about those, and what others are you considering?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 681
Monitor Audio speakers tend to sound a bit bright when brand new but after the break in mellow out and become very neutral and smooth if driven by the correct type amp/receiver. They are more detailed than most, especially Paradigm and contrary to the above poster IMO much cleaner than Paradigm. It must be kept in mind that for any speaker to sound it's best it has to be properly matched with the amp and the room acoustics. Any of the brands mentioned here are fully capable of excellent reproduction if this is done. I have a couple weeks vacation next month and I might take my S2's into a local store and do a A/B test with the Dynaudio 42 and 52. I don't have any preconceived notions about what this might bring but it will be interesting anyway. I heard the 42's about 6 months ago and was blown away but when I got home and turned on my system I was very pleased so didn't go any further.Later everyone.

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Post Number: 26
I agree with elite.I home auditioned MA B2 and Paradigm minimonitor with Marantz SR5300 for a week. MA is more detailed and cleaner than Paradigm.MA bass is more accurate and Paradigm is boomy.High of MA is brighter but not fatiguing while the Paradigm is somewhat harsh.I took home also the B2's baby brother the B1 and was surprised that to me is better than B2. When I returned the Paradigm to the dealer and hooked it up with NAD C352, I was surprised of what I heard. The Paradigm sounded good with NAD.During my auditioned I used Jack Johnson " On and ON" and "Brushfire Fairy Tale" Cds. So try the speaker/receiver match up and pick the combination you will like best.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for all the responses. They are useful.

Seattle Sounder, I auditioned the Paradigm Studio 40's and really liked them. I am no audiophile, but I enjoyed what I heard. In my own words, I heard everything (instruments, voice) I thought that was supposed to be there. Does that make sense to you? In terms of what other speakers I will consider, I am open to suggestions. I did visit a dealer who sells B&W and auditioned one of their bookshelves. I can't remember the model (the tweeter looked like a champagne glass on its side). They sounded beautiful but that was 3 months ago. I may go by again.

Larz, the dealer where I auditioned the MAs carries Marantz so your suggestion is very doable. Although he does not carry Paradigms he offered to call a dealer friend to bring them in and let me A/B them. Most likely I will take him up on the offer.

Vols, I will follow your suggestion and seek a Def Tech dealer. My budget is driven by what I consider not to be a great sounding room. It is large (20 ft x 20 ft) room with lots of windows, a hard floor, and tall ceilings. Also the WAF factor requires that the speakers be hidden in a cabinet. Bottom line, I don't plan to splurge because the room seems not to be ideal.

Landroval, any experience with French Triangle speakers? The MA dealer is bringing some in next week and wants me to come by.

Silver Member

Post Number: 719
Nope, sorry. Although the Frenchmen at homecinema-fr seem to like them a lot.

OnimushaLord
Unregistered guest
Quad 12Ls: sounds great, 'CHEAP' price considering the sound u get, good WAF(gloss lacquered audio furniture) and looks the business too. Nuff said.
If u like award winners, try the 11L (the 12L r better for sure) it's just that the 11L came out first in production, thus was reviewed earlier and garnered all the trophies b4 the following line came into sale. Same highs/mids as the 12Ls but a litte bass shy...come on a 5" midbass...however, an ideal for smallish rooms.

Or if u really like MA: go for the B2(they sound extremely good for the money), have always been 5 stars peformers in several Hi Fi magazines. I find B2 have better sonics and musicality than AE Evo 1(too laid back despite being musical). The Silver 1 is also a good choice (5 stars in HFC)although I wouldn't really say they r superior to the Bronze 2(despite the price difference). MA line of speakers are mostly pedigree quality when it comes to sound except for certain Bronze/Silver line floorstanders which have been touted as bass heavy/overwhelming causing them to lose stars. Avoid the B6 particularly, they r all bass and nothing else.

Dynaudio friend, Dynaudio: Budget 52, can afford 52SE(it's worth it if u wonder, go listen). The 52SE can easily challenge the Quad 12L head on for sound and I find the bass extension better in the 52SE. But the Dyns r one hell of an ugly beast cf the quads, crap WAF.
Sidenote: if u happen 2 like active monitors, try their BM6A(by Dynaudio Acoustics)= excellent sounding, I deemed them even superior to many of those mentioned when it comes to nearfield (ie. PC, studio distance) monitoring.

Paradigm Studio 40/20: Well, u already heard it urself, so u know what u like ;)

JM Lab Chorus 707s: new contender and very well liked by the press(I haven't heard this one though so no comments). They employ 7" midbass like the B&W 602 S3.

B&W 602 S3: Needs a big room for the big bass. Otherwise very refine and plays LOUD, with good dynamics and definition.

Spendor S5e: these are winning awards everywhere and good online reviews too. heard them for a while(broken in) and liked them lots!! Those with a flavour for LS3/5a would know Spendor very well except that this sound better as they r floorstanders(fs).

Epos M22(fs) or Epos M5(bs): honest clean sound with nice definition all around. Their entry level ELS3 sound just as good as the touted CBM-170 from internet's Ascend Acoustics. CBM-170 is the ugliest speaker I have come to see so far but it simply sounds great, better than ELS3 anytime IMHO.

OK, gotta go for now!

Post Number: 5
OnimushaLord:

Thanks for taking the time. I am very intrigued by the Quad Ls. Must find someone who carries them here. Dynaudio and B&W are carried by the same dealer in my area maybe I can arrange to A/B demo.

Post Number: 6
Does anyone knows if there is a US site for Quad? I am trying to locate a dealer.

Roy
Unregistered guest
Dynaudio 52 and Monitor Audio Silver S6 were clearly the best of the many sub-$1K speakers I auditioned this summer for my home theater. Have to admit I didn't check out the Quads.

I'm trying to decide between Dynaudio (52+42C+42) and the MA Silvers (S6+LCR+SFX) for a 60/40 Movies/Music home theater in a 20ft X 14ft room with 15ft vaulted ceilings. The receiver is NAD 753 and I will probably get an SVS sub down the road.

I listened to these setups a couple of weeks apart at two different dealers. Has anyone done an A/B comparison of these systems? Please help me decide!

Silver Member

Post Number: 722
I prefer the Dynaudios, but I also have not done a real A/B comparison. IMO the MA's are not as detailed as Dyns. The 42C is a little small sounding center to be used with 52. With 42 it's ok, but with 52 I would go for 122C.

Roy
Unregistered guest
Landroval,
Appreciate your input. I will look into the 122C. The Dynaudios sure did sound detailed. However, WAF and the fact that the MA SFX surrounds fit in better in my room are key arguments for the MA Silvers.

Any other thoughts from folks who've listened to both Dynaudio and Monitor Audio?

Silver Member

Post Number: 727
How about Quad L-series. They're noticeably better than the Dyns or Silvers, and they sure look very beautiful.
You should try the 12L(or 21L)+LCenter+11L combination.
http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/lseriesmodels.htm

nirradus
Unregistered guest
Everyone keeps talking about these quads, which I'd love to hear. But when you go to their website they only list British, no USA.

Are all of your folks from 'over the pond'? Where can I listen to these Quads in the USA? Preferably southern cal.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 123
Quad speakers are good, but as you say there is almost zero corporate presence in the states. I came across a re-seller the other day but I failed to bookmark it. If you Google a certain Quad speaker then I'm sure you will be able to find them.

Roy
Unregistered guest
Landroval,

Good idea re checking out the Quad L. Turns out there's a dealer nearby.

Nirradus, we aren't all over the pond...check out
http://www.iagamerica.com/quad/dealers.htm
for US dealers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 729
Yeii! Now you can all get the ESL's.

OnimushaLord
Unregistered guest
For GBP500, the Quad 12L seems to be the best bet, the Dynaudio 52SE despite sounding sweet and detailed are almost GBP900+, perhaps a little cheaper streetprice.

One more little gem that I left out previously was the ATC SCM12 which has its own distinct sound and character..but another bare looking box reminiscent of the 80s. Cost GBP1000.

Have u also heard the Linn Kan or the older Katans? Some swear by them. I have experience with the Katans but not the Kans, and I like the Quads better though.

Since u r in US, should also audition the Von Schweikert's VR-1(Audioholics have a review up) together with the MA GR-10. Cheers! :-)

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2136
I am a KEF fan and would recommend them, too. I also read high praise for PSB. But if MA sound "tinny" it is difficult to know what to suggest, Daniel. I have read posts from people who love the NAD/MA combination.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 492
Please give a listen to the Spendor S3/5.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us