NAD 541i HDCD Question..

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby29

Baltimore, MD USA

Post Number: 48
Is HDCD only available via digital outs, or can I also get it via analog? What if my receiver has an HDCD decoder?

ABC
Unregistered guest
Got mine hooked up analog and it plays HDCD recordings.Don't know about your receiver..sorry

Bronze Member

Baltimore, MD USA

Post Number: 49
It plays them, but does it decode them correctly?

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 684
It would be my understanding that all information going out via a digital connection is to be decoded at the terminus (or the receiver's dacs, decoders etc). If using the analogue connections from the 541i then that machine's decoders should be doing the work.

Does a HDCD display icon show when playing a HDCD encoded disc?

Do your ears hear a better resolution when playing the HDCD's?

Bronze Member

Baltimore, MD USA

Post Number: 50
My Rantz-

I guess my main question is can an HDCD signal be transmitted via analog outs to a receiver without an HDCD decoder.

I don't have the cd player yet, but I'm weighing it with the non-HDCD 521BEE.

I'm guessing I will prefer the analog sound of the NAD's dacs over my Elite 53TX's dacs, however I want to hear it both ways. BUT, if I prefer the NAD's analog outs and it will not enable me to use the HDCD, then I may as well go with the 521BEE.

I don't think my Elite has an HDCD decoder, but I just got it so I'll check the manual tomorrow.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 685
Rob

If the NAD cd player decodes HDCD then using the analogue out should be fine, but check with your dealer, as my advice is only guesswork.

Bronze Member
Username: Alexfromholland

Post Number: 27
If you have an HDCD capable CD-player, then the decoding is done by the CD-player itself and it will output the signal via the analogue CINCH outputs. If you're using digital output, the HDCD decoding has to be done by the receiver as it will NOT be bypass the D/A converter in the CD player. Hope this clarifies it.

The HDCD led will be switched on when a HDCD is played. (e.g. Sailing to Philidelphia by Mark Knopfler). HDCD's can also be copied!

Bronze Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 63
Either way Bob, I'm willing to bet that the C541 would sound better using its analogue outs than via a digital interface to your amp, provided you've got a decent set of analogue interconnects of course.

Generally I find that CD players (and the 541 is a fine CD player) give better results this way, mainly due to reduced jitter.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Baltimore, MD USA

Post Number: 55
I sent NAD an email regarding this issue. Got a response today:

Thank you for your recent request via the NAD Electronics web-site.

Digital output is necessary for HDCD playback.

Best regards,

Karen Pritchard

So, it seems to get a true HDCD signal, you need to transmit via digital outs.

Bummer. I would have bought the 521BEE instead since I do not intend to hook up my 541i via digital outs.

Bronze Member
Username: Alexfromholland

Post Number: 30
Rob,

This is definitively not true. I have a NAD C541 (with HDCD decoder) hooked up to a T743 via analogue outs of the CD player and it plays HDCD's just fine! If you want the receiver to have the HDCD decoding to be done, then you'll need to use the digital out of the CD player.

Alex

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 177
The 541 will play HDCD-decoded signals through its analog output. It will pass the encoded signal via digital out which then must be decoded. In order to decode the HDCD signal via digital out, the receiver/pre pro/DAC must have the required Pacific Microsystems digital filter chips.

Username: Lancelot67

Post Number: 1
hello forum readers.my question is.i can buy a secondhand nad c541 for 299 euro with 6 months quaranty.is this a good offer and how is the sound of this maschine compared to c542 which cost much more?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us