Upgrade help

Frosty
Unregistered guest
My wife bought me a pair of Polk R50's from CC. I would like to upgrade. They have a pair of open box Polk RTi70's for $205 each--she paid $199 each for the R50's. Is this worth trading for or is it a lateral move? Does CC sell any other good speakers at a reasonable price---$600 a pair? Please don't suggest that I go elsewhere, I'm stuck with CC for a while. I have an HK receiver.

Username: Project6

Post Number: 87
the RTi70s are much better than the R50's and for that price, you can't go wrong. A nice upgrade!
cheers

Bigun
Unregistered guest
CC sells some infiity stuff but like polk they probably suck

Username: Edison

Post Number: 273
RT series does sound better - more focused, and they sound alright with HK. You could have done a little better for the money, but it's an enjoyable system with no listener's fatigue like Bose. The RTs are the best sounding at CC for me.

Frosty
Unregistered guest
James Lee. For the money, $500 or so, what would have been better with the HK? What do you mean by listener's fatigue? Thanks

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 120
By all means upgrade to the 70's. Much nicer than the R series. Do you have a center and surrounds? If not pick up a Polk center and a pair of their surrounds or the RTi bookshelves and you will have a nice sounding system as Polk and H/K go very well together. I believe CC will give you a sub if you spend $499 or more which you will probably have to do if you buy the center and surrounds. Whatever, do get the 70's.

Frosty
Unregistered guest
James Lee. For the money, $500 or so, what would have been better with the HK? What do you mean by listener's fatigue? Thanks

Frosty
Unregistered guest
Sorry about the re-post. Elitefan--- yes I have the Polk CSi3 center and the Polk 303 sub. I so not have surrounds yet. As I listen to probably 80% music, I was trying to find the best music speakers possible. But there is a lot of Polk bashing out there and I was wondering if I could do better. Where I live in upstate South Carolina, I don't know of any other places to shop except for CC and BB. We have some car audio shops that carry a variety, but we are limited when it comes to home audio. I know that BB sells Klipsch and Athena but the reviews seem to be divided on them also. If anyone knows of a place in the upstate South Carolina where I could broaden my horizons I would I appreciate you passing it on.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 122
Frosty,
There is nothing wrong with the Polk RTi series at all. Upgrade to the 70's and pick up some Polk surrounds and don't pay any attention to the Polk bashing. The RTi series that the 70's were in was a very nice line. Have not heard the new line yet but I liked the old line alot. Much better that the Klipsch to my ears.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 284
Listener fatigue is when a speaker doesn't give you pleasure but bothers your ears on prolonged listening.

Sometimes these speakers sound good in the first few minutes because they sound upfront, (like Bose), but you get fatigued if you listen to them for a long time.

Polk RTs are not that impressive initially, but they can be listen to for a long time without giving you a listener's fatigue - because they mimic upscale refined sound.

There are speaker companies selling direct to you cutitng out the middleman and offering more quality for the buck. They sound a little better than the Polks for the same price.

Speakers like www.axiomaudio.com and www.ascendacoustics. got raving reviews from the pros at Hifi magazines. You might want to consider them the next time you want to add speakers.

Polk RT series is not bad though - they got pretty good writeups as well. You can do a little better, but you could have done a lot worse than Polk RTs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us