Magnepan MMG and NAD 742

clayton
Unregistered guest
I have been looking for new speakers to replace my Athena FS-1's and I realize that the bass extension will not be the same, nothing a sub can not take handle.

My question is will the NAD 742 sound good with MMG's? I have read various accounts as to what sounds good and how much power. I have read about someone driving the MMG's well with the 752 and in the factory tour by soundstage live they mention how they saw MMG's being used with an NAD receiver in the lobby.

I had been looking at getting another setting of axioms as I have the mt22ti but the MMG's sound exactly what I am looking for as a musician I love the live sound factor. Plus the NAD has the nice warm characteristics that I love.

Username: John_a

Post Number: 100
This one for Hawk. I remember MMGs require a receiver that will drive 4 Ohm speakers. All NADs do that, but we discovered the T742 user manual says 8 Ohm speakers. Hawk contacted NAD, if I remember, and they said it was a mistake in the manual, there was really no difference from the other NAD receiver models.

I would certainly try the Magnepans. Certain models have a long, no-committment home trial period - provided you live in the US but are remote from a dealer. Check out the Magnepan web site. It sounds like you already have a T742. If so, there is nothing to lose by seeing how the combination works. If not, it is a great receiver in its own right, and there is no penalty in starting from there, and seeing which are the best speakers to go with it.

clayton
Unregistered guest
Yeah I bought the NAD two weeks ago and I love it. I have been doing some research on speakers and have really been running in circles. At first I thought the Axiom M60 towers would be great. Bright detailed speaker with a warm amp. Paradigms sound good apparently, but a little laid back and that might not mix so well. I heard the PSB speakers sound good, but reviews say they are not as good as the Paradigms. The best Paradigms are pricey and the Axiom M60 and M80 towers get compared to the high end reference line. So I have no idea anymore. I have the Athena FS-1's and think they sound alright but as they get louder they start to sound boomy. I have heard the FS-2 sound better but I remember when I bought my Athena towers that they really did not sound that much different. Perhaps at louder volumes.

I really like the sounds of the characterists of the Magnepans - live detailed sound, and price is right. Any suggestions at around or below 800 U.S? I live in Canada by the way.

Username: John_a

Post Number: 107
clayton,

I have read good recommendations of all those speakers on this forum. One poster, Johnny, seems delighted with his NAD/PSB combination. So many good speakers seem to come from Cananda.

To make things more complicated, I would suggest also you consider the KEF Q-series. They have the tweeter mounted on exactly the same axis as the midrange, claiming to give a wider field of accurated stereo image and almost no phase problems, always an issue with separate electomagnetic drivers. I have their little Q-design egg as my center speaker and it is stunning for its size and price. I am a bit biased having had nothing but pleasure from KEF speakers for many years.

But if you want to get away from all phase problems of conventional speakers you should consider electrostatic/ribbon design like Magnepan. The MMG direct offer is USD 550 (what is that in Can$?). Also their web site lists dealers in major Canadian cities. If you can try them the chances are they are hooked up to NAD amps/receivers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us