Connecting Desktop To TV

Username: Weesha

Post Number: 1
I have the right cord and everything.
I hooked it up.
and a grey screen appeared, and when I moved a window way to the right it showed up on the TV but it was off computer screen.

I changed the resolution and everything.
I looked up solutions and saw that you had to change the resolution option to "this is my main monitor" but my computer wouldn't let me change it.

Please help
sorry if wrong forum

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5135
How do you have it connected? Just having 'the right cord' is too vague. Is it RCA, S-Video?

Username: Dim4cim

Brooklyn, NY USA

Do you have 2 monitors on the "Settings" tab for the screen ?

Gold Member
Username: Doreenakadj

Canada

Post Number: 4563
Simple How To Instructions
VGA (Video Graphics Array) - HDTV or High Definition Television is equiped with a VGA connection port. It is rectangular in shape with 15 pin holes. VGA cable works only on HDTV. Don't attempt to buy VGA cable if your TV is not HD (High Definition) because regular TV sets doesn't usually come with a VGA port.

Like an S-Video Cable, you also have to be aware that VGA connector doesn't transfer sound to your T.V. but only video files. When purchasing a VGA cable, you should also buy an audio cable as well. Before buying the audio cable, make sure to check your TV audio input because some or most HDTV have a specialized audio input and this is called "PC Audio". Check it out if you have this written at the back of your TV. This is a small round hole in black color at the back of your HDTV. A single point audio cable works on this. This is a thin cable with a single point on one end and another single point at the other end.

The first thing you need to do is to

Step 1 : Turn off your computer and your TV.

Step 2 : Plug the VGA cable in, one end to your computer and one end to your TV.

Step 3 : Turn on your HDTV.

Step 4 : Grab your TV remote control and press "input" button once. "Selection Source" shows up on the TV screen.

Step 5 : Scroll down until you reach to "PC" then click it. The other way to do it is to scroll the channel button all the way down to channel 2, 1, channel whatever until you get to "PC". You have to position your TV screen to "PC" mode.

Step 6 : Now, turn on your computer.

Step 7 : Press F4 for Hp laptops. (For other computer brands, check out list of function keysbelow.) If it doesn't work for you, press Fn+F4 simultaneously four times.

You should be getting the same picture on your computer and your TV screen by this time meaning you are already using your TV screen as your computer monitor.

Step 8 : Start playing your video or movie. Take note that you won't get any sound after connecting the VGA cable.

Step 9 : Insert the audio cable on the Headset input on your laptop.

Step 10 : Insert the other end of the audio cable at the back of your TV on the small black hole which says "PC Audio". Now, you will surely get a sound on your TV speaker.

If you have a separate surround speaker, you can hook up your audio cable from the Headset input on your computer to your separate surround speaker for best quality sound system.

Connecting Your Computer to T.V. Using S-Video Cable

Step 1 : Insert one end of the S-Video cable to your computer's S-Video output and the other end to your TV's S-Video input.
Step 2 : Navigate to the audio/video button on your TV and make sure you set it to video.

Step 3 : On your computer, press Fn+ f4 or f5 or whatever works on your computer. It is the keyboard key that has a square on it which looks like a tv screen. Pressing this key would allow your TV screen to act as your monitor.

Step 4 : Now, whatever you have on your computer screen should already be showing on your TV screen. If it doesn't show.......

Step 5 : Go to your desktop, right click, scroll down to properties, click settings, scroll your mouse downwards, click on advanced tab. Another window opens and look for the word monitor, click it and click ok. If you have the video work, the next thing to do is to connect your audio cable to get a sound. Step 6 : If you have a surround speaker available, you can hook up your audio cable directly to your surround speaker to get a much better sound quality rather than connecting to your TV which gives you a lesser sound quality.

If you're getting a not so good picture quality after everything has been set up, well, that's a very natural effect for using the S-Video cable.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16837
x2

Username: Rohaye

Post Number: 2
wow nice instructions there

Username: Sofiasara

Post Number: 3
I think no need to do anything. A TV tuner may solve your problem. You just bring a TV tuner and connected with your PC. Now you connected the cable to your TV tuner and enjoy..

Username: Foroj

Thanks a lot

Username: Brownluther007

I think you the issue is of cable then you should check your tv model that it can support a PC through HDMI or VGA port or not. If it can and the issue is only for resolutions change then you can start it in safe mode and set to default and then plug it to TV. So that it can automatically adjust the resolution. if it works then again start it with safe mode and turn it off after optimizing it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us