Satellite m500 external speakers buzzing

Username: Shinyu

Post Number: 1
Okay, i have looked high and low online to figure out what the problem is.
Here goes,
I just purchased my laptop from Toshiba direct.com. It just got here three days ago and everything is working perfectly. Except, when i plug in my external speakers i am getting a significantly loud buzzing and crackling noise. The only time the noise stop is when i unplug the ac adaptor from the computer. the moment i plug it back in, the noise starts right back up.
Here is what i have tried so far.
I have unplugged the speakers and plugged them into a different outlet. I have done the same for the computer.
I have also plugged the computer and the speakers into the same outlet. (i'm using a power adapter with about 6 different slots). I have tried plugging them into the wall directly without a power adapter. I have taken the computer and the speakers to a friends house and plugged them into the same outlet and the noise still persists, unless i unplug the computer from the ac adapter. When i was at my friends, he plugged his computer into the speakers and there was no noise. When i plugged my computer into his external speakers, i thought i noticed a small buzzing noise, but nothing as significant as with my speakers.
I think all the things I've done have covered for a ground loop. My suspicion is that i may have a bad charger, as me and my friend's ac adapter have the same input / output. I remember with one of my older computers i had to replace a charger and i bought a cheep one on ebay. I had a similar problem. If i plug in my headphones into the headphone jack, i get no buzzing or crackling. This lead me to believe the sound card is okay. Also, the speakers work fine if i plug them into my psp or my tv. Lastly, if i plug my computer into the tv using the hdmi cable, the noise dissipates. I'm guessing its because the tv is absorbing the extra charge, but i don't think this is safe to be sending the extra charge into another electronic. Just a thought.

Even if i put my computer to sleep, and have the power cord plugged in, there is still buzzing.
I also connected my psp into my computer, and then the speakers into the psp. If the psp is connected to the computer, when the ac adapter is plugged into the computer i still get a buzzing noise.
Does anyone have any ideas?. I would be extremely appreciative if i could figure this out.
I called toshiba and they told me they would call me back, but they never did.
Thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5086
Sounds like a grounding problem.

Call Toshiba back. Just because they didn't call back doesn't mean they won't fix it for you (perhaps someone just made bad notes etc.).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us