Does it really pay off to overclock?

Silver Member
Username: Impala63rag

Post Number: 523
I'm wanting to build another computer, and use this one for downloading. The new one I want tricked out with a good video card or possibly 2 sli cards. tons of ram and a good motherboard.

With all the money you would have to put into water cooling, does it really pay off to put the time,and money into over clocking? How much of an improvement would it make?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 365
A: Don't bother watercooling
B: It *can* be worth it, but you need a bit of luck, a good mobo, more luck, and a decent cooling system (front and rear fans, decent heatsink/fan combo for the processor), and more luck. Not every processor will automatically OC 5 or 600MHz.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12140
yup depends on what ya do.
I have an AMD X2 3800+ 2GHz I can OC to 2.2GHz without much trouble, but beyond that it gets flakey.
I also have a Core2quad Intel 2.4GHz I run at 3.2 to 3.4GHz also air cooled and it runs like lightning.nearly a 50% increase in performance from the CPU itself. all I did to hit those speeds was lap the processor and swap heatsinks from retail to a tuniq tower 120

the trick is as noted, knowing which processors yield the best results for overclocking.
The Intel Q6600 is one of the good ones right now.
fairly cheap and OC friendly

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8651
Overclocking only pays off if your processor lives an average life while overclocked. The increase in heat or increase in voltage will usually shorten the life of a processor. Heck, thermal energy is what stresses just about anything in this world and causes it to wear out faster.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us