AMD vs. Intel

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 700
I am trying to decide between the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 3800+ or the Intel Pentium 4 Processor 524 with HT Technology. What is the difference in these two and which would you suggest in a home computer mainly used for internet, video and music listening and downloading? Thanks guys.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 1359
not really a fair comparison. get a intel core 2 duo. Intel cpus outperformed amd's cpu's by a very large margin. I wouldn't get a p4 because amd's non dual cores kicked intels p4 azz's. So if your going to go with a dual core setup get an intel.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 345
Have to agree with Berny on this one and Im quite a AMD fan. The core 2 duo is a good future proof product and perfect for your needs. AMD is primarily a gaming processor although at other tasks this doesnt mean they're rubbish. Pretty damn good.
If you have the patience for if its not too late, on my word its next year that you want to be upgrading your pc. Thats when everything changes!! Got a preview already with the new 8800 nvidia, amd quad core and intel quad core, ddr3 but i think thats pointless, amds new idea of the 'sinergy chip' if i remember rightly and intel with a trick or two up their sleeve.
I got my computer last July, a 3500+(when x2 was just released). Today even its a superb performer.

Simply, wait till there's advances and then enjoy the bargains mate!!

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 382
Nah man the AM2 socket X2's are crazy fast and great for gaming and whatnot

Username: Shaun3291

Post Number: 1
i have to agree with ktle here, AMDs are great for gaming, i should know i have one, but also i find it is great for multi tasking and runs multiple programs with ease. I would definately recommend the Athlon.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 467
AMD makes a fine processor (I use an old Athlon XP, I should know too), but it is currently outperformed by the Core 2 in pretty much every aspect. When the Barcelona core comes out, things might even out, but if you are looking for a pure performance CPU, the Core 2 is hard to beat. Now, if you're looking for good bang for the buck, AMD is still a strong competitor in many price brackets.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 477
AMD's single core CPU's kill intels , Mac is releasing a 8core core due? whatever its called

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 472
Dual quad core processors. Not sure what would take advantage of that kind of processing power, but who am I to question these things.

As far as single cores, its kind of a moot point these days, as the focus is on dual, quad, and beyond. In either case, the Core 2 architecture is superior to what AMD is fielding currently.

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 122
the amd would defintely kick the hell out of intel's pentium 4, but its incorrect to compare them as amd athlon is dual-core processor.. however if u were comparing it against inteldualcore extreme.. then intel wins big a long shot.....

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14514
Shane,
You still around?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12139
the x2 3800+ is a good CPU
I have an s939 version in my second box here. great little PC.

I will say though, that I just built an intel core2quad Q6600 rid @ 3.2GHz, and it absolutely slaughters the AMD. Decimates it.

Granted, not a fair comparison between an X2 that's 3 years old, and a brand new current gen Intel.

Bronze Member
Username: 3dges

Compton

Post Number: 50
AMD is the way to go !

Bronze Member
Username: Peeps365

Post Number: 13
i say intell bro but consult i have an amd64 if u gonna get amd get the new one mac is releasing

Username: Gibslara

Post Number: 8
No doubt that Intel is very good in comparison of AMD. It is a nice processor including its latest technology like core 2 duel . In the 90% of computer field the Intel is using.

Bronze Member
Username: Stevokentucky

Frankfort, Ky Us

Post Number: 15
Well, to go back to the original question, either of these CPU's would be adequate for surfing the net, watching videos and downloading. Actually, even the P4 can multi task any two of those things at any one time even though its just a single core. Your biggest bottle neck with surfing and video is gonna be your RAM. Load 2-4 gigs of ram and you will be just fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us