Want to buy speakers

Username: Ic06

Chicago, Il Usa

Post Number: 1
I went to Circuit City to inquire about a nice surround sound system. I don't have a nice TV, so I will mostly use the speakers to listen to my computer's mp3s, however as time goes by I will eventually buy a nice TV as well. So I asked for a package that supports both HDTV and a computer. The guy helping me said it is not possible and directed me to the computer speakers. He said you need seprate speakers for TV and computer, you can't have one nice set for both. Any suggestions what kind of system I should buy? I did not believe the guy. Tell me he was wrong!
I listen to music ALL the time on my computer, so I want something nice (willing to spend up to $1K) that later on will work with a good TV as well.

Thank you!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10250
Try this option

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=948 6

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4293
I would rather have something like this: http://brandnamez.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=19798&lastcatid=158&step=4&AffNo=492452 167

Just hook up the computer via headphone to RCA cable.

You can get it refurbished for much cheaper: http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=HT-S580&modelid=99&group_id=1&deta il=1&ext_war=1&linksrc=Froogle

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10269
Just saw that budget.

A receiver with nice speakers will work well for your needs. Likes Jexx said, you can use the computer's audio output to connect to the receiver. You will, however, need a ground loop isolator to minimize the noise introduced into the system by the computer's power supply.

And do not get any Onkyo, they have weak power supplies and do not perform as good as they could be.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4313
Whoa, didn't see he had a 1k budget!!

And great point, Berny, lately the Onkyo's power supplies have been shamefully weak! I have a TX-DS939 (made around 1998) and the psu is incredibly robust! I had the opportunity to try out a TX-NR801(2005 model I believe) and the psu was tiny...

I would still say Onkyo receivers are very well built for the price, and would defeat a similar Sony, Panasonic, JVC, etc. Though an Outlaw or Rotel would be a better way to go.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11891
Jexx,
Where are you man? We got some people needing help :-)

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 171
Lol what an old thread...

Actually you can have one nice set for both...
In my system I've hooked my computer into it, TV and all. I just had to get a good graphics and audio card upgrade to use quality connections hooking up to the receiver.
I now have an optical audio cable hooked up to the receiver and I'm currently using S-video for the vid connection. I hope to upgrade the graphics card for component video hookup.

That being said, if you want sound on both your comp and TV, you'll have to have the right audio card and a home theater system to complement it.

I recommend that if you don't have an audio card with optical or coaxial audio out you can get one for about $30 for optical out and $80 if you get one with coax dig out. A good $900 dollar home theater will improve your computer sound way beyond most computer sound systems. A good one is the Pioneer VSX-816-k/s with a couple pairs of $100 bookshelf speakers that sound good in the store for a start. You can spend the rest on a good subwoofer like the Klipsch Synergy-12 that'll add the extreme impact that you're looking for. All this comes together for about $1000 which will be pretty good for $1000 to me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us