Which laptops can burn DVD's?

Username: Hamjones2

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for a laptop that plays and copies both CD's and DVD's. I'm not that good with the jargon so when I see DVD-R/CD-RW, DVD ROM, DVD+CDRW, DVD+/-RW etc etc, i don't know whether they actually copy/burn DVD's. Can you write a list of all the descriptions I might find when looking at Laptop specs, and write next to them whether they burn or just play DVD's and if they have any ummm limitations to what they can burn or play. Also any other information I might find helpful would be greatly apreciated. Thankyou

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2888
To burn DVDs, all it needs is an R behind 'DVD'.

If it does that, it will burn CDs.

Example of what doesn't do DVD burns:

CD-RW, CD-R, DVD

Example of what does do DVD burns (and by extension, CD burns):

DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW

Post Number: 2
So will this laptop definately burn DVD's?

Intel Pentium Mobile Centrino 745 (1.8GHz) processor, Integraded 2MB on-die Level 2 cache,

* 512MB DDR SDRAM (333MHz) Upgradeable to 2GB max,

* 80GB (5400 rpm) Hard Drive

* 14.1" colour TFT XGA (1024 x 768 resolution),

* nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 graphics with 64MB DDR Video

* ADI AD1981B AC'97 Software 3D Sound Stereo

* DVD-SuperMuliti (DVD+R+RW, DVD RAM) drive,

* V.90/V.92 modem, LAN 10/100/1000 Ethernet,

* Wireless 802.11b/g + Bluethooth antenna,

* (1) SD Slot, II PC card slot, Parallel, Infrareed, RGB, (2) USB 2.0, TC Out (S-Video), iLink (IEEE 1994), headphone port, mirophone port, expansion bus for port replicator,

* Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2891

quote:

* DVD-SuperMuliti (DVD+R+RW, DVD RAM) drive,

Yep. It burns DVDs.

That "DVD+R+RW" is poor technical spelling-it's redundant. If the laptop records rewritable (hence the 'W'), then it obviously records normally.

That wouldn't happen to be a Toshiba Tecra M2, would it?

Bronze Member
Username: Blazingarrow74

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 29
A nice Laptop with Dual-Layered Burning capability is the one I have: Compaq V2410 ... the features/price Ratio is pretty impressive ... I also believe there are some Acer computers that are better for the same price ... You can now get any of these budget laptops for about $600 after rebates !!!

Only thing ... the Compaq build quality is sub-par ... the LCD build and the DVD-RW Drive are both kind if flimsy ... but as long as you keep this in mind (don't push on the screen when you clean it as I did, hold under the Disk Drive when putting in a disk) the Compaq has a lot to offer for the price ...

By the way Jexx ... the whole R / RW thing isn't a redundancy as the "R" stands for "Recordable" and the "R" in "RW" stands for "Re" ... The "W" does ot denote "re-writable", it just denotes "Writable" which means the same thing as "R" for "Recordable", hence the "W" is first needed ... Now what they could have done is use a simpler solution such as "R" for "Recordable" and "RR" for Re-Recordable" ...

... now that's simple ...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2902
Personally, I prefer Toshiba over Compaq...

Yeah, I understand your post, but what it comes down to is that there is absolutely no possible reason for the marketers to say 'DVD+R+RW' when they can simply say DVD+RW.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 32
Yeah ... Of course ... I too preter Toshiba, Fujitsu, damn near anything besides this cheaply built Compaq ... but I got it because I have small pockets ...

Why exactly do you prefer Toshiba ... Build-Quality is a given ... but are there any other reasons?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2904
They're actually fairly competitive with Compaq concerning the specs and equipment they have. Have you checked out the Toshiba A105 or M70?

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 33
Yeah ... However, the AMD in the Compaq beats out those Celerons anyday ... Other than that, you're right: they basically do the same things, but the processor differnece is a huge deal ... No Doubt Toshiba is the better brand OVERALL ... but with the Presario v. the two models you mentioned, you definately get more for your money with the Compaq ... if you aren't rough with it of course {^.^} ...

MAN !!! ... the Bulls just lost by 5 points in their first playoff game ... They needed this loss to inspire them ... WE'RE TAKING GAME 2,3,5, AND 6 BABY !!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2909
Yeah, good point about the processors...it all depends on what one wants...

Good luck with the Bulls. :P

Post Number: 3
Thanks guys, its just that on Ebay when they give the specs up the top, sometimes it will say DVD-R and then you look down at what the seller says about the laptop and they say "Plays and Burns CD's, Plays DVD's" its just confusing and I don't want to buy something, thinking that it burns DVD's when it actually doesn't. Jexx - about the Toshiba M2, i'm not exactly sure because the seller didn't actually put the model, sorry.
Cheers

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2914
For future reference, be absolutely sure you know the model number. If it isn't listed, then the seller might be untrustworthy or not competent enough to sell it.

The main reason one would want a model number is so they may simply Google it and find the specs from a more trusted website and possibly even reviews and recalls. Most of the time, you can go to the manufacturer's website and look up the model there, and you will be provided extremely accurate spec info.

Username: Samboy

Australia

Post Number: 1
Hi I'm not good with the jargon of specs either so, if something like DVD+RW burns CD's and DVD's does that mean it plays both as well?

Bronze Member
Username: Reyka

Arecibo, Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

Post Number: 75
they can say a web site to me to record movies ?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3463
Sam: Yep.

Rey: dvdsanta is good software to record movies with.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I have my laptop now :-) but i can't work out how to burn DVD's, the laptop came with the 'Sonic' burning program but every DVD I try is copy protected. I googled it and I found a step by step procedure of how to download DVD decrypter and DVDShrink but it was and old thread and I can't download DVD decrypter anywhere. Can someone tell me exactly how to do it. Thanks

BTW I have an HP Pavilion dv4224tx 1.86Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 80Gb HD, 5400rpm HD and that lightscribe thing.

P.S what disks should I use to burn DVD's (once I work out how to do it) to?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us